aberdeen-music

MCSE/Cisco certification

Chris

I've been thinking about doing an MCSE course or something similar just to further my "professional development". Anyone done one of these before and finished it? Worth the hassle and (possibly more importantly) the money?

I have plenty of experience and I'm not looking at it as a way into the industry, more as a way of tarting up the CV a little bit should I decide to move back into that sort of thing instead of the development work I'm doing now.

If my current employers read this I'm not planning to leave any time soon...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been thinking about doing an MCSE course or something similar just to further my "professional development". Anyone done one of these before and finished it? Worth the hassle and (possibly more importantly) the money?

I have plenty of experience and I'm not looking at it as a way into the industry, more as a way of tarting up the CV a little bit should I decide to move back into that sort of thing instead of the development work I'm doing now.

If my current employers read this I'm not planning to leave any time soon...

Chris, Yes & Yes.

One of the guys in our band is a Cisco Kid - and he's even more minted than me!

Seriously though, ging for for it.

Paul

Guest Neutral

MCSE - If you have a degree, no If you do not have a degree, yes

Cisco - Yes

A lot of employers will pay you through these

I think I still have my mcse books lying around if you decide to go for it

MCSE - If you have a degree, no If you do not have a degree, yes

Cisco - Yes

I have a degree and I have experience. But my degree, like most computing degrees these days, did not cover much of the things that the MCSE or Cisco qualifications would cover. It's main focus was on programming and theory.

See if your employer will pay for it. Thats what my work have done.

Not much chance of that, if I'm doing it then I'll be paying for it probably.

Tried to get a previous employer to put me through it but they weren't interested.

Not much chance of that, if I'm doing it then I'll be paying for it probably.

Tried to get a previous employer to put me through it but they weren't interested.

Could you not phrase it so its benificial for them. Like i'm helpdesk, so its technically helpful to know some desktop stuff, even though i plan on running away after i have that and some more expierence.

also what is your current role?

Basically a web developer for a university. Very focused on a single platform and technology but with bits of support and server stuff thrown in.

If I decide to move jobs in the future though I may go back to the private sector and more systems engineer type stuff that I used to do. It's all just stuff I'm thinking about just now. Wouldn't mind staying in my current role but finances may take that decision out of my hands.

Basically a web developer for a university. Very focused on a single platform and technology but with bits of support and server stuff thrown in.

If I decide to move jobs in the future though I may go back to the private sector and more systems engineer type stuff that I used to do. It's all just stuff I'm thinking about just now. Wouldn't mind staying in my current role but finances may take that decision out of my hands.

What is your degree? Sorry, im not being nosey (well I am) but i'm almost finished 3rd year of my Comp Science degree and so far have very little idea what kind of job I could get after I eventually graduate.

I'm looking at doing mine as well. I'm in an IT job but have no degree or any 'official' qualifications and even though i've got a few years experience under my belt my CV would probably be binned straight away because I don't have an MCSE listed (check the jobs pages!) on it.

One guy i talked to on a course last year took a fairly novel route when his company wouldn't help him out. He went out and bought (although i'm sure they'll be on Bit Torrent somewhere) Exam Cram books (check amazon - 20 a book), read them solid for two weeks before each exam and did each test one after the other.

He said it was hard going but then again each test is only 90 a go compared to sitting the course at up to or over a grand.

It's always an option.

What is your degree? Sorry, im not being nosey (well I am) but i'm almost finished 3rd year of my Comp Science degree and so far have very little idea what kind of job I could get after I eventually graduate.

I did a BSc (no hons) Computing For Internet and Multimedia, graduated in 2003.

The only stuff I did on it that I've used in 3 years as a Systems Engineer and 2 years as a web developer was the programming theory and the Oracle/database stuff.

Where are you seeing that? Couldn't see it on the College website.

Unless they're not including the cost of the 7 exams?

Yeah you're right, they don't include the cost of the exams.

The current assessment charge will be listed by the testing centre and is not included in the price of this course.

Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) on Windows Server 2003

Yeah that makes more sense, i'd have signed up long ago if that was the case!

If you can get your employer to pay for the MCSE you're sorted as each training course on each module is a 5 day course at around a grand each!

MCSE, CCNA, CCNP, CIW training and other courses at Blue Screen IT

The Exam Cram's are about 20 a book each on amazon, it looks like a lot of hard work but i'd rather be paying for 7 books at 20 each and 7 tests at 90 each rather than for the courses. Having been on a few microsoft ones, I can tell you that they're a snoozefest.

If you're lucky maybe if you tell your employer you're paying it on your own they'll give you some study time back?

If you can then i'd defo do something like the MCSE. A lot of students are under the impression that having a degree with get them a few rungs up the ladder but most of the time this is not the case. Having something like an MCSE on your CV would certainly be a help.

If you feel you're having problems getting the kind of jobs or experience you want then looking at contract work might be an idea. Its a lot easier to get in to and aslong as you're not shite can lead to the kind of jobs you'd want.

If you can then i'd defo do something like the MCSE. A lot of students are under the impression that having a degree with get them a few rungs up the ladder but most of the time this is not the case. Having something like an MCSE on your CV would certainly be a help.

If you feel you're having problems getting the kind of jobs or experience you want then looking at contract work might be an idea. Its a lot easier to get in to and aslong as you're not shite can lead to the kind of jobs you'd want.

I haven't had any problems getting jobs, as I haven't applied for any recently.

I have experience (3 years as a SE for one of the big multinational IT companies and 18 months in my current role), knowledge and a degree. Just wondering if it's worth doing the MCSE to make me stand out a bit more/bump me up a pay grade if I was to start looking elsewhere.

I'm not remotely interested in contract work.

To be honest the market is saturated with paper MSCEs as the exams are not difficult especially if you have worked with servers. The Exam Cram book series and Test King mock exams will get you through them pretty quickly. Employers always ask for it on job specs but at the end of the day its always down to experience.

The Cisco exams are tougher as you progress beyond CCNA and they definitely more desirable. Nail CCIE and you will be demand:up:

I haven't had any problems getting jobs, as I haven't applied for any recently.

Well, why not throw your CV out there, see what kind of response you get and then decide for yourself if you think you need your CV to stand out anymore.