aberdeen-music

Channel four

KimyReizeger

Anyone watch 'Balls of Steel' last night? Accidentally flicked onto it and caught some horrendously unfunny 'pranksters' posing as comedians.

A guy called 'Neg' who makes ridiculous hooting noises whilst pumping his fist in the air goes around in a souped up Corsa throwing hamburgers at set-up-by-their-m8s targets. He ends up looking like a complete wanker as it is impossible not to sympathise with the people getting hit, particularly when he performs the aforementioned 'whoop-whoop' and drives off.

Also features a guy dressing up as a 'devil' and playing shit jokes like putting diversion signs all round a round-a-bout - so there's no way out LOL!!!

Finally a Dennis Pennis rip-off who goes around interviewing celebs with 'hilarious' jibes written on the back of her mic: 'muff-diver', 'loves cock' for example. Not.clever.at.all. Quite how they justify flying her out to Holywood for that is beyond me.

Oh and there were two Dirty Sanchez rip-offs aswell, I didn't watch them.

The show is punctuated by terribly scripted conversations between the spastic host and the various guests.This channel should seriously struggle to class itself as a legitimate, ethical entertainment provider and increasingly looks like some half-baked 3am Sky obscurity...the constant swearing is simply miserable and an incredibly base way to get laughs.

Have a look:

YouTube - Balls of Steel: Burger Bowl Off

its utter bollocks man, i caught a bit of it once a couple of years ago now (i think) and there was a welsh guy stapling his mates tongue to a desk. Infact i think that was one of the moments when I really started to wonder wtf is wrong with our culture.

You did watch a faaaair bit of it though.

Yeah I know, but purely from the standpoint of a disgusted, be-jawdropped observer. It is interesting to see what people will laugh at on prime-time tv, though I don't usually get indignant about the shite Ch4 puts on - big brother, vanity lair, shipwrecked, Friday night project etc - but this programme can only appeal to people of very low intelligence; it's that simple. I actually feel sorry for the guys who have to shoot and edit this sort of thing!

I really started to wonder wtf is wrong with our culture.

Our culture? - what culture?

Newsagent racks full of gossip magazines - libraries stocked with "autobiographies" ghosted for 18-year-old junkie pop stars whining about their "rehab hell" - airwaves choked with TV shows, featuring worthless nonentities sitting in a house shouting at each other - supermarket shelves buckling under the weight of processed convenience foods - big fat bastards waddling between the mobile phone shops & McDonalds...

...and don't even start me on the Bebo culture.

Britain? - we're fucked. Goooooodnight!

its so fucking awful. its not funny.

i would actually love that urban cowboy guy to like, try something on me, just so i could catch him and repetedly bash him smug fucking face again the curb till all his teeth were cracked and/or missing and he bled out.

and the presenter is so fucking unfunny and has such a nasal voice.

god

i hate them all.

cept the militant black guy. i dont want to be tarred with the racist brush.

i would actually love that urban cowboy guy to like, try something on me, just so i could catch him and repetedly bash him smug fucking face again the curb till all his teeth were cracked and/or missing and he bled out.

Yeah, he's a total dick. His only gimmick is audacity and surprise; people just don't ever expect such mean-spirited, schoolboy behaviour whilst waiting for the bus.

I've been watching some more. It's incredible that the show essentially rides on its own television status to justify itself, 'oh it's not for real, it's for telly!' - if you look at Neg in isolation, outwith tv, then he's just a horrible, bullying little prick.

Anyway, I'm not purely re-hashing old news, there's a reassuring moment around the three mintue mark in this one:

Enjoy

The one that Alex Zane did was pretty funny (I'm aware Alex Zane and 'funny' in the same sentence sounds wrong).

He set up a Mastermind style game show and then kept telling them they were wrong, to the understandable annoyance of the guests. Particularly the old boy who was an Anne Frank expert and totally lost it.

I also liked the the Poirot one

ZANE: What was the only Poirot novel to have the word lesbian in it

CONTESTANT: Murder on the Orient Express

ZANE: No, it was Poirot and the Lesbians.

Other than that and Militant Black Guy it is total gash. I wouldn't blink if it was never aired again.

Guest Neutral

Has anyone else had the thought that these shows are extremely funny because they aren't? I get this a lot whilst watching modern comedy. Two pints of lager and a packet of crisps? Bad acting, really bad script, really amusing - is it deliberately dire? I think it is