aberdeen-music

Vintage gibson basses for sale!

MadDog

Hi folks,

Im needing space so am selling part of my guitar collection.

For sale is: 1974 gibson ripper bass in natural finish (1974 was the first year this bass was properly manufactured with only a few being made in 1973) You can get a really unique growl outta this one.

1979 gibson g-3 grabber in black. This model was the updated version of the grabber that has 3 single coil pick-ups and is the same as the bass gene simmons and mike dirnt used for many years.

1976 frettless gibson grabber (the bass with the pick-up you can slide from the neck position to the bridge) really great bass and very very rare, try finding another frettless grabber on the net, i've only ever found one person just mention the fact they exist, most gibson enthusiasts i have spoken to did not even realise! Only bummer about this bass is some fool in the past re-finished the body in transparent blue, dosent affect playability but not completely original anymore:swearing:

These basses are in good condition considering their age, open to any serious offers.

If your interested let me know.

Im probably looking for around 650 for the ripper

600 for the g-3

350 for the frettless grabber (cheap-ish because colour)

This is a good bit less than I paid for them and I am open to offers.

I will try and get pictures up as soon as possible.

As far as choosing between the g-3 and ripper that is quite a tricky one because they are both great playing/sounding basses and both very unique in their own ways. The link to the gibson bass website is very good and very infomative, check out the sound clips to give you a good idea what they sound like.

650????

hmmm....

i will need to have a think, I actually got offered a Ripper for substantially less, but I will see what kind of condition yours is in.

Out of curiosity, is the neck glued on? Is it a thru neck or is it a bolt on?

scott

x

Yeah I know it is a good bit of money but like I say make an offer and the worst i can say is no thankyou,

There are several reasons possibly for the one you were offered being a good bit cheaper, one is that it was a really good deal! Or it might be that In 1974 the ripper was made of maple. In 75-76 they changed to alder which tonally was a bad idea because it affected the sound quite a lot. In 77 they changed back to maple but changed the shape very slightly, changed the pick-ups so they were mounted in the pickguard instead of 2 screws going through the pick-up straight into the body like on the 74 which was the best design. Also the markings for the rotary selector switch were just printed onto the pickguard in the later models instead of being on a seperate metal ring around the switch like on my one. I was quite a keen gibson collector so these things were quite important to me so I waited and paid more fo the 74 when I could have got the later ones cheaper.

It is a set neck (glued on) and is in a used condition, by that I mean it is a 34 year old guitar and it looks like one, but playability wise it is great with a good low action and a great neck. Obviously if someone is really interested they can come round and check the basses out (and you'll get to play them through my new phil jones bass amp which is incredible) but only if you have a genuine interest in buying.

Hope that helps mate,

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...