aberdeen-music

Advice on Bass Amp?

WoodyRATM

Yo,

I'm after a new amp i think. Currently using an Ashdown mag combo, but i think i want somethin a little bigger...and preferably in a head/cab version rather than combo.

Was considering taking out a loan over a few years for something.

I play mainly rock kinda stuff, RATM, Rush, QOTSA etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

It will be used with a Sansamp programmable driver, and either my 4 string stingray or my 5 string warwick corvette.

What be any ideas?

Dave

do you really have 2k to spend?

if so i have a revalved mesa 400+ sitting here which is pretty much the same, if not better, as the svt - 2 and wont cost you that ridiculous sum of money

I could technically afford it (like going to soundcontrol was what i was planning and paying monthly) so im thinking of taking a smallish loan out to help :)

incindently i was looking at the 400+ on ebay yeserday too.

and the SVT 3

I could technically afford it (like going to soundcontrol was what i was planning and paying monthly) so im thinking of taking a smallish loan out to help :)

incindently i was looking at the 400+ on ebay yeserday too.

and the SVT 3

uhhh

sound control went bust yesterday.

good luck with that:popcorn:

well valve amps present all the (minor) problems valve amps do... and will definitely need a service a year.

Buying a solid-state or hybrid usually means less problems, but you probably will sacrifice a bit of tone.

The SVT3 through the 410 HLF is good, but i still havn't got the tone i want. I found the top end too thin and the bottom too warbly, but that could be due to a number of things before the amp (i.e. bass, pedals, me) as well as the cab itself. I'm not sure if it could just be me not setting it up correctly or it needing a wee service, its just not there, its not perfect.

Basically, all those amps will sound bloody good (to different extents), just a question of price practicality.

Maxi's Mesa does sound lush though and for 900 odd quid it really is a bargain considering they retail for *1700* on Thomann!