aberdeen-music

Vox AC30

Jeid

Got a project for the next few months. A 1960's Vox AC30. No idea exactly what year it's from, but I could be 65/66/67. It's pretty fucked. Needs a lot of work. The speakers are blown, the valves are gone, the inputs have been replaced, the cloth needs replaced, the tolex might get replaced(perhaps white), needs new pots, new caps (I think) and a motherfuckin' clean!

Some pics...

The cab..

CIMG5287.jpg

The JMI Logo...

CIMG5284.jpg

The back badge

CIMG5288.jpg

I think this is the choke..

CIMG5283.jpg

Top panel(note the pots are fucked... it's dirty)

CIMG5291.jpg

Components..

CIMG5289.jpg

CIMG5290.jpg

Vent

CIMG5286.jpg

Grill cloth.. or what's left of it

CIMG5285.jpg

Speakers

CIMG5292.jpg

Well... I dunno. Haha. Both can be tackled head on. I reckon I'll clean the cab up first, clean the tolex. If it scrubs up well, then I'll keep the original tolex, if not... I might re-cover it white. Make it look classy. If I put a cloth on the front of it, then that'll make it look loads better. I sources a lot of the parts I need last night, so that's good. It needs handles and the gold seem that splits the baffle on the front needs replacing as it's broken. I think making it look good will go a long way to reducing what I think it needs.

The innards are a task for me and my girlfriends dad(he's an engineer)... so we'll look at that shortly after. I'm only guessing what it needs tbh.

Hi, Not really sure but as it's the 'grey' panel instead of the 'candy/red' panel it will probably be late 60" The other thing to date is the plastic vent. Early ones were brass. Don't think that's the original speakers, but that would not be a big deal. If you're looking for 'old' G/Backs let me know, I might be able to help you out.

It will be a nice ampp when it's working. I've had two, a 61 and a 63.

Cheers

Bri

jees what a shame, i agree, quite a lot o care and TLC needed. if your needing any parts that are hard to get, gimme a shout cos i may have or know where to get them. Also might be able to help out with the component side

keep taking pics as you progress. by the way i know a site that sells a lot of tolex coverings, german based and has lots o nice colours and snakeskin and all that. cos i think most of the uk places have just the basic black

Cheers mate... I think I'm probably going to source a lot of the cosmetics from the states. Mojotone have pretty much all the stuff I need. I think I know the German site you're on about... Tube-Town?

There's one bit I'm having a bit of trouble tracking down... the Vox style voltage selector... can't find it for the life of me.

Cheers mate... I think I'm probably going to source a lot of the cosmetics from the states. Mojotone have pretty much all the stuff I need. I think I know the German site you're on about... Tube-Town?

There's one bit I'm having a bit of trouble tracking down... the Vox style voltage selector... can't find it for the life of me.

this any use?

Marshall Vox Selmer Leak etc etc ( pre 66 ) 2 pin voltage selectors 10 each

from

vintage vox,marshall,selmer,watkins etc spares,RS DELUXE ,RADIO SPARES TRANSFORMERS,vox ac15 vox ac30 topboost,jtm45 ,jtm45 supertremelo,jtm45 bluesbreaker,jmp50 plexi,plexi superlead 100w marshall,selmer zodiac,watkins dominator,vox handles,BULGIN

Personally I think it would totally ace left pretty much as it is cosmetically, but fixing up the internals so it works well - I like all the battle scars:up:

That's what I did with my 61 tan one. I think there is a picture of it somewhere in this forum, but don't ask me where;0)

• 6 months later...

I finally started work on the amp... I ended up only paying 130 for it. I've looked at it over and over. Seems like a 1965 model. I've got the grill cloth coming tomorrow(my mate had it in his loft), I've got feet, corners, speaker scrim(it goes behind the grill cloth), white piping, a fuse holder, a rotary switch for the vib/trem unit and I'm bidding on handles for it. Still planning Greenbacks for it. Got my eye on a pair just now.

I'll update with pics when there's actually something to report

I finally started work on the amp... I ended up only paying 130 for it. I've looked at it over and over. Seems like a 1965 model. I've got the grill cloth coming tomorrow(my mate had it in his loft), I've got feet, corners, speaker scrim(it goes behind the grill cloth), white piping, a fuse holder, a rotary switch for the vib/trem unit and I'm bidding on handles for it. Still planning Greenbacks for it. Got my eye on a pair just now.

I'll update with pics when there's actually something to report

Let us know how you got on. BTW, I found that if you close mic the ac30 by putting the mic ( used a SM57)about 10mm from the center of the speaker, right on the wooden slat, it gives a lovely sweet sound. I think it has something to do with cutting out the 'killer cone' syndrom.