aberdeen-music

What is with mixing/DJ'ing..I don't get it.

Hog

Im not clued up at all regarding Dance music and it's subgenres.

Im not having a go at this type of music (it's ok Stripey).

I dont really understand what guys like Pete Tong actually do apart from stand there and play records.

I watched that guy Mark Ronson and all he seemed to do was push a few switches every 30 seconds or so. The rest of the time he was smoking and not really doing anything.

Please enlighten.

'Scratch' is a good film and should cover that side of it, as for uptempo dance music, there is one record that might be, say 130 bpm, and the DJ wants to mix it with one at 133 bpm, so that they can be 'mixed', then the DJ adjusts the speed of the record he will be bringing in, to match that of the one playing, he does this with a combination of the 'ear' and 'skill', if done properly there should result a transition from one record to another consisting of a bit when both records are playing. Goddammnit, look it up- beat matching- on YouTube or something.

What does Pete Tong do?

Beyond playing records would it not be safe to assume he has worked hard, made the right contacts and ultimately had the drive and enthusiasm to propel himself into a position of music-biz prestige? These people aren't just randomly selected by some musical deity: anything that happens - any event, gig, record, radio session, advertisement - has more people working behind it than the performers themselves, and it is no surprise to learn that producers often also DJ, manage record labels etc. Does that make sense?

If you know anyone who does any DJing, the best way to find out what it's all about is by having a go. I tried it out for the first time many years ago when my sister got into it, once I had a go my indifferent to dance music was broken. Although DJing isn't one of my hobbies, I'd say mucking around with it has helped me gain an appreciation for a huge area of music I previously ignored. I am now very interested and try and write tunes myself.

The first thing you learn to master is beat matching; you'd find this hard at first. After that there are loads of techniques, ranging from simple to complicated, that DJs use to make the mix interesting (new technologies are always adding to the kind of effects you can achieve). I think you'd find that good DJ's have great knowledge of their records, what songs work with one another and structures of the songs - you've got to know where to start a mix and where you can mess about with the record.

My friend has just bought a mixer that has a function where you can sample the record as it plays and loops this over and over again... actually here is a tutorial from youtube:

Those are some of my thoughts on the subject. DJing can be as complicated and interesting as you want it to be.

Yes, but she is a shite DJ. There is a lot skill involved in being a good DJ, especially when it comes to playing to the crowd and thinking about the set that they're going to play.

My comment was clearly tongue in cheek, I did think about putting a smilie on but thought it would be more fun as a fishing exercise without it. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Giles Walker

Just saw this clip of Jeff Milligan djing at Club Yellow on 4 decks and thought it was an interesting way to show what djs can sometimes do.

P.S.

i'm pretty sure no one here will like this kind of music but at least you get an idea of what club djing is from the technical point of view.

Check out Z - Trip: You can download his ace Live in LA LP for free (along with some other pleasing stuff) for free at:

DJ Z-Trip / Downloads

It might help you appreciate the mixing more as he plays some stuff I'm sure you'll know, and it's not "dance music" per se. Some of it's mixed on 45s as well, which is cool.

It's a world of difference from Soulwax just mixing two tracks together on a Mac to make a new track - this dude is the real deal. Some good uses of scratching and ace DJing, I reckon. The Tool mix at the beginning is pure class.

I'm sure there are a ton of folk who do this sort of thing, but Z - trip floats my boat.

Not sure if this'll help you "get" mixing / DJing but it's something a bit different, if anything.