aberdeen-music

[GIG] May-Hem + Element 106 + Pryon + Cranial + Retract The Accolade @ Tunnels

• 2 weeks later...

Aye Retract weren't bad at all, good to see some fresh stuff. THis new found crowd of all things heavy as speculated from the weekend show and this one are exactly as you say - new found. If we knew there was going to be such a scene in the first place then we could atleast justify getting in some out of town bands of the same ilk.

As May-hem was an experiment I plan on trying to set up some more to test the water abit. If some more established promoters with the contacts want to help out then that would be even better and hopefully we might see this kind of scene flourish.

Aye Retract weren't bad at all, good to see some fresh stuff. THis new found crowd of all things heavy as speculated from the weekend show and this one are exactly as you say - new found. If we knew there was going to be such a scene in the first place then we could atleast justify getting in some out of town bands of the same ilk.

As May-hem was an experiment I plan on trying to set up some more to test the water abit. If some more established promoters with the contacts want to help out then that would be even better and hopefully we might see this kind of scene flourish.

I think ye gotta see how much money you can guarntee before jumping in on this stuff.. Crowds come and go so i'd be careful about who you start looking to book. One show isn't really enough... Personally i think Aberdeen crowds turn up when there is quality bands to see, be it local acts or not. That said though, i have noticed the quality level of Aberdeen's metal bands has increased... Even e106 have (i want to say moments but....) seconds of inspiration!

Glad there was a good turn out though. Sorry i didn't show but 7:30am starts are hard enough as it is.

Bazz

Also remembering that the weekend show was supposed to have an out of town headliner, how many people were there to see them specifically i dont know. Was good that even though they didnt show up, it could still be a success with just local acts.

I suggest that if an area has strong local acts (of any specific genre) that can pull in their own fans, major acts of that genre are more likely to be interested in playing because their guaranteed a sizeable audience. No bands worth their salt want to travel to a random city and play in front of 30 people, resulting in the monetary expense of the gig outweighing its profits.

Aberdeens metal scene could definately expand considerably, theres a wealth of exciting new heavy bands around scotland at the moment, and like baz was saying the quality is definately on the up.

If aberdeen locals continue to support their local talent more, theyl be more likely to be able to see their favourite international artists come to town as well. So hopefully the success of these last few gigs can continue!

I want to see Cannibal Corpse in Aberdeen!:laughing:

YOu joke about CC playing Aberdeen... but it is ENTIRELY possible if the right foundations are put in place and people... well... like ye said, keep fucking turning up!! Not so sure big acts will come if there is a local scene or not. As they play were they are booked to. Guarntee's are set and promoters agree to them (or not). A good sizeable & reliable local scene would increase the chances of larger venues/promoters taking on expensive international acts. Same goes for any genre really.

I used to have asperations of grandeur in respect to this. May well take it on again. From my experience folk will turn up if ye put good quality bands on. Lobotomized being a point in example... I drag there shit encrusted arses over from Norway, throw out half a dozen flyers and posters (very last minute and half arsed effort) and The Moorings was packed and LOVIN the Old School Death Metal. So much so that i think they will be back just for an Aberdeen show. So imagine how much better it could have been if the proper care, attention & effort was putting in to another incoming quality act.

Bare in mind though, if you fancy the promoting thing... if you book an out of town band they will have a guarntee of somesort (for fuel at least) which, if the punters don't turn up, the promoter has to cover. If you don't want stabbed that is! haha

Dave Rowlands is about the best qualified person to pass on hints n tips though.. Lost count how many shows he's put on.

Bazz

IMHO, the local heavy scene could be a thriving community once again.

Sounds cheesy as fuck but bands working together putting on gigs by booking the Tunnels or getting out of towners i.e. Lobotomized will do no harm.

Aberdeen should be the place where bands really want to play... not just think "where the fuck is that?"

new bands

as being part of RTA i have found it hard to get gigs in aberdeen as the promoters are really picky on bands they will play at gigs for crowds etc.

but i think how will you know what crowds these new bands will bring never playing before.

am glad that pryon put on this gig and put these bands who normally dont get in edge ways for shows.

i only hope promoters see this and get more new bands in and hoping to bring a larger variety in music in aberdeen.

thanks again pryon for letting us play!