aberdeen-music

Peep Show is back!

daveladocus

With any luck they'll have accepted their one-trick-pony status and put some effort into making really funny tv again.. I mean, that scene with the dead dog on the barge in series four; the programme failed as soon as the main characters became more ridiculous than the world they were trying to portray as ridiculous. I think Curb Your Enthusiasm may have suffered this fate too.

the last series wasn't as good but still better than most things on TV. Maybe should have gone down the Fawlty Towers/Office etc route and stuck to 2 or 3 series, i guess this one will decide if it was a mistake.

Ye I read David Mitchell's piece in the guardian the other day. Maybe not the best written but funnier than some of the other people in that column (the make-a-deep-but-funny-observation-about-life column in G2). It mentioned the new series at the end of it so maybe just done to promote it.

Ye I read David Mitchell's piece in the guardian the other day. Maybe not the best written but funnier than some of the other people in that column (the make-a-deep-but-funny-observation-about-life column in G2). It mentioned the new series at the end of it so maybe just done to promote it.

There are journos that can do it so much better though, and everything about Mitchell's piece, even down to the uneasy looking photo of him standing there...just reeks of someone out of their depth slightly, 'giving things a go'. Spot on with your interpretation of that type of article though! I'd imagine it's quite difficult not to sound cliche and cheesy when writing those ones..

Guest Steven Dedalus

I just don't enjoy Peep Show. The premise is quite good. The writing is quite good.

Mitchell and Webb are two of the worst comic actors I have ever seen. They manage to make the acting in Garth Merenghi's Darkplace look convincing.

I'm not a big fan of farce, but if it had been well acted, at least I could get something from it.

I thought the new episode was pretty good. the first and last 5 minutes seemed a bit rubbish to me, not funny at the start, and a bit too ridiculous at the end.

I don't like Big Suze. Seems to be a common theme of all the female characters being really annoying. no doubt some freudian thing, vagina envy or something. ok, clearly i dont study psychology.

• 2 weeks later...

This week's episode: Mark is still funny, but Jez just comes across more and more a public schoolboy acting a waster. He just isn't as convincing; his acting is stilted the lines just sound contrived. Although there was a highlight:

Mark: You're Hamlet. Stop trying to be Hamlet

Jez: well you're -

Mark: (he can't think of a Shakespeare character)

Jez: A massive twat!

The most recent episode wasn't my favourite of this series but overall it's been a total return to form. I think the reason people had a go at the last series was because of the high standard of the previous ones. The best thing about Peep Show is it's ability to stray into utterly farcical situations but still keep it belivable because of the quality of the writing. The fact they made burning and eating a dead dog actually seem like a situation that could arise in your life is testament to it's brilliance.

The fact they made burning and eating a dead dog actually seem like a situation that could arise in your life is testament to it's brilliance.

Though wierdly two people in this thread have commented on that as being the most ridiculous and unbelievable scene in the entire peepshow back catalogue.

I think the reason people had a go at the last series was because of the high standard of the previous

Yeah you're right - compared to Chucklevision, Peepshow series four was incredible.