aberdeen-music

[GIIG] The Mae Shi + Johnny Foreigner + The Lionheart Brothers @ Moshulu

JF were good if a little half arsed at times. Last song was epic. I'm also convinced Alexi is one of the best guitarists in the game right now. Just look at him go...!

But yeah, Mae Shi. By far the best live performance i've been involved in for years (maybe apart from Sinaloa earlier in the year). I love the mae shi on record a lot, but jeez, live...! I've never seen a band get that involved/into what they play, even if they seem slightly psychotic at times. I knew that they usually started with I Get Almost Everything from various point in the room, but i had no idea about the white sheet. New stuff was great live as well, especially Run to Your Grave. The turnout, as usual, was unbelievable. I can't wait till i finish university and get out of Aberdeen. I'm sick to the back teeth of gigs here. There can't of been anymore than 40 people in the entire venue, with what seemed about 20 at the front (i'm pretty sure a few left as well). But not even at the front. 3 meters from the front. Why do gigs in Aberdeen always have to bee so awkward? Even when i tried to get everyone on the stage at the end (i ended up on my own, looking like a complete pillack), no one bothered! I'm amazed people even bother penciling in Aberdeen anymore.

P.S - Photographers that snap away from most of a set, GTF.

P.P.S - Moshulu - worst venue in Aberdeen. Drop a bomb on it already.

i actually quite liked the lion heart brothers , they reminded me of a kinda odd brian jonestown but not really, if that makes any sense.

only saw half of johnny foreigner, didnt see enough to make an opinion, id like to see them again as i wasnt sure about them.

the mae shi- had to leave after a song to go start dhc up but thought they looked intersting.

the gig was actually meant to be at snafu but for various reasons wasnt and ended up at barfly,

i think itd have been better at snaffs as you could have run it a bit later and had a closer atmoshpere but then again the sound system is better in moshulu so fuck knows.

shame about the turnout but to be honest, the bands are pretty up and coming so it was to be expected. johnny foreigner have the most buzz of the three and at least they played to more people than their last trip here (not counting forward russia) at tunnels.

Ummm...you can't call a band that has been around for 6 year with 4 releases (one a split with Rapider Then Horsepower) on labels like Kill Rock Stars up and coming.

yeah, badly worded, maybe not up and coming but they are pretty much a niche taste band, you can hardly call the bands last night mainstream bands (im not saying they shouldnt be mainstream)?

not everyone has heard of them is what im trying to say, people "in the know" (and its always the same people) know of them and by this im not being derogatory to those people, (i mean the people who actively seek out bands, read the fly mag, various websites and all that) - they know who johnny foreigner are

And theyre the same people at tunnels/ snafu on a monday watching band x with 20 other people coz they like them but the band havent broken through to a wider audience yet.

Other people when you say the name say "oh ive heard of them, theyre meant to be good" but these people didnt get off their ass to see them play!

Although they may next time

So maybe theyre not up and coming (i dont know the history of the band) but theyre not a band that everyone has heard of.

hence the 50 people turnout

johnny foreigner will undoubtedly come back and play to more people (if they do come back) as im sure theyre profile will get bigger over summer and word of mouth etc.

it happens all the time, ive put frightened rabbit on in snafu to 13 people.

Three trips later and its just about sold out.

For example, take the wave pictures, now they are a "new" band because people are now just starting to hear of them and theyre touring more but have 6 albums made and out and have been on the go for 7 years.

Theyre still a new band to most people but not to their fans who are into them and have followed them.

hence the 22 people turnout at tunnels last week or so.

Ummm...you can't call a band that has been around for 6 year with 4 releases (one a split with Rapider Then Horsepower) on labels like Kill Rock Stars up and coming.

They're still up and coming in the sense that their profile is getting bigger and bigger, especially over here, with Moshi Moshi putting our their new album in the UK. It doesn't mean 'new,' though they might as well be new over here, given that it's only been in the past year or so that (most) people have started to take notice.

They're still up and coming in the sense that their profile is getting bigger and bigger, especially over here, with Moshi Moshi putting our their new album in the UK. It doesn't mean 'new,' though they might as well be new over here, given that it's only been in the past year or so that (most) people have started to take notice.

What?! They're obviously always going to be 'up and coming' (what a silly term), to some people. Who would you consider to be most people? Their profile is pretty big already within circles of people that don't suck off the NME and listen to Jo Whiley, and as far as i know from talking to people, the others dates on the tour have been pretty packed. My point was that Aberdeen is absolutely useless when it comes to trying anything remotely different / new.

What?! They're obviously always going to be 'up and coming' (what a silly term), to some people. Who would you consider to be most people? Their profile is pretty big already within circles of people that don't suck off the NME and listen to Jo Whiley, and as far as i know from talking to people, the others dates on the tour have been pretty packed. My point was that Aberdeen is absolutely useless when it comes to trying anything remotely different / new.

I wouldn't say that the Mae Shi are different or new, but I think you're being a little unfair on Aberdeen, really - just one example, but you had Wolf Eyes saying it was the best night of their UK tour. Gigs are sometimes badly attended in loads of places - it's just 'one of those things.' No matter how much you promote something - the Monotonix gig tonight is a good example, plenty of promotion and not a good turnout - other things can always crop up.

I meant new as in new to Aberdeen, but hey, whatevs. And not different? I can't say i've seen a life performance like that of the Mae Shi before. Whether you like them or not is irrelevant. They are packing out other venues, but not Aberdeen. It's pretty self explanatory.

I'm glad Wolf Eyes had a great time. Shame their pants.

• 2 months later...
Guest idol_wild
Oops. *They're.

I was going to pick you up on that with a drole quip, but I refrained. Just.

I'm glad someone else dismisses Wolf Eyes. One of the most disgusting bands I have ever witnessed live. If they had affiliations with some crappy Norwegian metal orientated record label, rather than Sub Pop then the scenester kids would never dig them.