aberdeen-music

Grand Theft Auto 4

Old Gold

i completely overdosed on it in the first few weeks, to the point i couldn't stand it anymore (did manage to complete it though).

i have however been mucking about on it again the last couple of days. i still like the online mode as far as getting 3 or 4 mates and just tearing about the place goes. the games are shite but i left them ages ago.

apart from that its been back to the familar sounds of COD4 :love:

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still not finished it, but that's mostly because I haven't had any spare time. Don't think I'm too far away.

As for famous faces I think there are a fair few you might not have heard of, oh and you missed out Ricky Gervais in your little list. I think Bas Rutten is the funniest "celeb" in the game.

I'm twenty odd percent through it after about 5 hours play in total. I'm shit at it. The missions where you have to kill loads of fellas are too hard. My auto-aim keeps aiming at dead people, and I can't manual aim for the life of me.

What percent does it roughly finish at after all the real missions are over? Obviously there's a load of other stuff to do as well as the graft.

I'm fine just crashing into immovable objects and going through the window. It's a right laugh.

i was at 63% complete after the story and i've not done any of the jobs for jacob, the assasination missions, and only got one car for brucie. only dated one girl off the internet and done a couple of the random encounters. i think you also need to do all the jumps, kill all the pigeons and do all the random encounters to get 100% as well.

I'm still dating that Michelle. I keep trying to kill her. Bullets go straight through her and she gets "scared" but I've managed to twat her with a bat and punch her in the face. I also destroy her at darts, bowling and pool. Michelle is shit at sports. Definitely not my virtual type.

I took her for a drink too, and I was trollied, but she wasn't. She just doesn't like to have a good time. I'm going to chuck her. Or just drive the car we're in into the sea.

I'm still dating that Michelle. I keep trying to kill her. Bullets go straight through her and she gets "scared" but I've managed to twat her with a bat and punch her in the face. I also destroy her at darts, bowling and pool. Michelle is shit at sports. Definitely not my virtual type.

I took her for a drink too, and I was trollied, but she wasn't. She just doesn't like to have a good time. I'm going to chuck her. Or just drive the car we're in into the sea.

It's always good taking advantage of being able to do some stuff that you can't legally do in real life in a game :D

• 3 weeks later...

Am I the only one that thinks GTAIV is a frustrating pile of crap?

Yes, the graphics, animation, sound and visual design of it all is outstanding, but why build such a fantastically realised enviroment if you can't actually DO anything in it? Oh, except go on the internet, or watch TV. Great idea.

I have just opened up the third island (which I've already completely seen on multiplayer) and I can safely say I have only done two missions that I found remotely interesting. There was one where you had to find a guy speaking on a phone, and the bank job which had a bit of atmosphere going for it. I can't explain how frustrating it is that after the GTAIII's they can't think of any original missions, they are all "go here, pick this up, take it here", "kill some guy, fighting your way through some gangsters or back through some police", "find someone, chase them on bike/car". I remember one classic mission earlier on where I had to go drive somewhere, throw a brick off a window, then drive back!!! The 20 odd missions at the start tediously introducing you to buttons were mind-numbing.

And remember when you had to fly Bruce in a helicopter to a building.... then back. Brucie is a fantastic character, his design and dialogue are great but I can't be dicked doing his missions because I feel like I'm working as a games tester for Rockstar, but my money is going in the wrong direction.

Oh, did I mention the gun combat system is shit too, and like many of Nico's manouvers clunky and completely unresponsive, its a recipe for a broken Xbox controller when you're trying to shoot someone in the opposite direction when your in RB mode and the camera places itself in the most USELESS of positions you could ever think to place it, meanwhile (as mentioned above) you're shooting away at a dead body behind a box cursing the day games ever went 3D.

The saving grace if you ask me is the multiplayer, which in fairness, I've had a damn good time on dicking around with my mates, because you need that additional human player to create oppurtunities to do anything. The only other decent new feature is being able to get a taxi everywhere, because driving for 10 minutes to pick someone up for the 400th time is fucking unbearable.

Who remembers the fantastic missions from previous games like when you caught up with a plane on a superbike, drove into the cargohold when it was taking off, fought your way through, planted a bomb, stole a parachute and fucking jumped out.

My pure devotion and respect to the franchise is keeping me going because for some reason, I still think its going to get better. I certainly won't be finding all 200 of the flying rats, or doing anything I don't have to to see the end of the story, because the point is just lost on me now, I'll just get ran over by a taxi and fall asleep waiting for Nico to get back up.

I really think this game has been hyped up so much that nobody has been bothered to consider if it's actually any good.

Am I the only one that thinks GTAIV is a frustrating pile of crap?

Yes, the graphics, animation, sound and visual design of it all is outstanding, but why build such a fantastically realised enviroment if you can't actually DO anything in it? Oh, except go on the internet, or watch TV. Great idea.

I have just opened up the third island (which I've already completely seen on multiplayer) and I can safely say I have only done two missions that I found remotely interesting. There was one where you had to find a guy speaking on a phone, and the bank job which had a bit of atmosphere going for it. I can't explain how frustrating it is that after the GTAIII's they can't think of any original missions, they are all "go here, pick this up, take it here", "kill some guy, fighting your way through some gangsters or back through some police", "find someone, chase them on bike/car". I remember one classic mission earlier on where I had to go drive somewhere, throw a brick off a window, then drive back!!! The 20 odd missions at the start tediously introducing you to buttons were mind-numbing.

And remember when you had to fly Bruce in a helicopter to a building.... then back. Brucie is a fantastic character, his design and dialogue are great but I can't be dicked doing his missions because I feel like I'm working as a games tester for Rockstar, but my money is going in the wrong direction.

Oh, did I mention the gun combat system is shit too, and like many of Nico's manouvers clunky and completely unresponsive, its a recipe for a broken Xbox controller when you're trying to shoot someone in the opposite direction when your in RB mode and the camera places itself in the most USELESS of positions you could ever think to place it, meanwhile (as mentioned above) you're shooting away at a dead body behind a box cursing the day games ever went 3D.

The saving grace if you ask me is the multiplayer, which in fairness, I've had a damn good time on dicking around with my mates, because you need that additional human player to create oppurtunities to do anything. The only other decent new feature is being able to get a taxi everywhere, because driving for 10 minutes to pick someone up for the 400th time is fucking unbearable.

Who remembers the fantastic missions from previous games like when you caught up with a plane on a superbike, drove into the cargohold when it was taking off, fought your way through, planted a bomb, stole a parachute and fucking jumped out.

My pure devotion and respect to the franchise is keeping me going because for some reason, I still think its going to get better. I certainly won't be finding all 200 of the flying rats, or doing anything I don't have to to see the end of the story, because the point is just lost on me now, I'll just get ran over by a taxi and fall asleep waiting for Nico to get back up.

I really think this game has been hyped up so much that nobody has been bothered to consider if it's actually any good.

On the dot.

That was indeed a fucking ace mission.

Yeah, I got bored pretty quickly. I thought it was just me.

I always thought I'd like a game that was based on doing real-life things but quickly found that the real life aspects were the most annoying parts of the game (hanging out with mates, girlfriends, internet, TV etc.). I have resorted to just doing the missions and blowing stuff up and telling everyone else who phones to bugger off (Nico says it in a nicer way.)

i'm still enjoying the game now that i've completed it. i just load it up and have some fun. i found a place to get a police chopper with miniguns attached and have now parked it outside a safehouse so it's readily accessible :)

i thought the missions were better than san andreas though the story was still a little on the long side. the main advantage gta4 has over the earlier ones is the character of nico, he's more likeable and the other characters are well scripted too. i think slagging off the clunkiness of some of the mechanics is valid but they're an improvement on earlier games(particularly the combat).

each to their own though, for me it's an astonishing acheivement which isn't without flaws but has still raised the bar for epic gaming and managed to do so without 90 minute cutscenes :p

Guest treader.

so, i just got this on friday. so far all i can say is 'ace!'

i've been using the cheats without saving the game which is fun.

finding stunt jumps is always a bonus as well.

need to get live on the go for some multiplayer nonsense.

i thought the missions were better than san andreas though the story was still a little on the long side. the main advantage gta4 has over the earlier ones is the character of nico, he's more likeable P

but nico and cj were given reasons for being bad, tommy vercetti did all that crazy shit in vice city simply because he wanted to

I've gone back to Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, which also has massive flaws but also has enough scope to build up a unique style of gameplay. .

I just started playing that again this week. Still got 30 achievement points to get for a perfect.

I know what you mean about theradio stations. This is the first GTA i can remember turning the radio on and hearing something i have heard before.

Sometimes even the same stuff repeated just after switching cars and tuning into the same station