aberdeen-music

Anyone remember the Sky channel 'p-rock'?

Ian_Brown

Short lived but great. A decent mix of punk and ska!

Some p-rock favs:

YouTube - Hopskotch

YouTube - WAKE UP "Uncle Brian"

YouTube - Whitmore - Alison

YouTube - Rocket from the Crypt - On A Rope (Guy from Drive Like Jehu)

YouTube - King Prawn - Dominant View

I loved that band Whitmore. The riff from their song used as the p-rock theme tune was quality.

Really? I thought Uncle Brian and Whitmore were two of the worse popular UK punk bands, along with 4ft Fingers, Graveltrap, Mixtwitch and Gash.

If your into that stuff though check out quality punk rock action from these bands that are all playing Aberdeen in the next few months courtesy of GFN promotions:

Astpai MySpace.com - ASTPAI - deadman's town, - Punk / Rock / Hardcore - www.myspace.com/astpai (Austria)

Rentokill MySpace.com - RENTOKILL - Vienna - Punk / Punk / Punk - www.myspace.com/rentokill (Austria)

Dirtbox MySpace.com - DiRtBoX - Perth, UK - Punk / Pop Punk / Rock - www.myspace.com/dirtboxonline

Chief MySpace.com - CHIEF - LIVERPOOL - Punk / Hardcore / Happy Hardcre - www.myspace.com/chiefuk

Grown At Home MySpace.com - GROWN AT HOME (NEW LINE UP and STUFF!!) - Stone, UK - Ska / Punk / Showtunes - www.myspace.com/grownathome

Grown at Home are the band that fit that old P-Rock sound with their poppy 3rd wave ska sound but it's hard not to love them. They are fantastic, as are the rest of the above links.

I actually thunk I have that Whitmore single kicking about somewhere! Whatever happened to 4ft Fingers aswell? Infact what happened to the thousands of regular touring pop-punk and ska bands in the UK!

4ft Fingers are still on the go, released a new album last month.

Really? I thought Uncle Brian and Whitmore were two of the worse popular UK punk bands, along with 4ft Fingers, Graveltrap, Mixtwitch and Gash.

I certainly remember Mixtwich and Gash. I was never big into Whitmore (the single isn't my copy!), quite liked 4ft Fingers at the time though.

I'm glad to hear all these bands are still on the go though, I thought they'd all been wiped out!

Seeing that song mentioned in this thread seems very wrong. Better than 98% of the pish that was on P-Rock. In fact I don't remember ever seeing it on that channel.

Yeh, wasn't totally sure about that one! Rocket From The Crypt are an awesome and pretty seminal Punk band, not totally sure if the rest of them are really viewed in the same light!

Short lived but great. A decent mix of punk and ska!

Some p-rock favs:

YouTube - Hopskotch

I lost track of the amount of times i would switch to that channel and that song would be playing (and I'd instantly change the channel!)

Its a strange one because theres something likeable about it, but its so damn annoying that i just can't stomach listening to it. (All those moonska bands seem to play a million different styles, and would throw in some ska guitar just to get on the label..."its ska....honest")

Some of my faves were Goldfinger - Spokesman, Face to Face - Debt, Motion City Soundtrack - Throwdown, Hot Water Music - Paper thin, Guttermouth - End on 9, No use for a name - Soulmate, even that awful graveltrap song...

Whitmore were fucking terrible. As was pretty much everything on that channel, apart from Hot Water Music.

Spunge are one of the most embarassing bands I've ever seen live, and I wish I'd sat outside during their set. Has anyone got a copy of the picture of their setlist, with the bits written between the song titles, telling the band members what to do, like "spray beer on the crowd" and even telling them when to take a drink themselves.

Classic.

• 2 months later...

Fans of the P-Rock channel should check out the punk/hc all dayer at Cafe Drummonds this Sunday (27th July) featuring Rentokill from Austria (for fans of NOFX, Bad Relgion, Good Riddance) MySpace.com - RENTOKILL - Vienna - Punk / Punk / Punk - www.myspace.com/rentokill and Chief (Household Name Records) MySpace.com - CHIEF - LIVERPOOL, UK - Punk / Hardcore / Roots Music - www.myspace.com/chiefuk - amazing positive hardcore in the vein of Sick of it All, Comeback Kid

Also playing is The Living Daylights, Dirtbox, The Hijacks, Crashdown, Stratopsy, Escape To Victory and Tragical History Tour

9 bands in total with punk, hardcore, ska, metal and acoustic

5pm start, 6...

It'll probably the best punk gig in Aberdeen in years!

More info at: MySpace.com - GFN? Records - Aberdeen, UK - Punk / Hardcore / Ska - www.myspace.com/gfnrecords

Spunge are one of the most embarassing bands I've ever seen live, and I wish I'd sat outside during their set. Has anyone got a copy of the picture of their setlist, with the bits written between the song titles, telling the band members what to do, like "spray beer on the crowd" and even telling them when to take a drink themselves.

Classic.

Ha ha ha ha ha. That's brilliant, especially considering the tune most people remember them by being called "Jump on Demand" (which I've been listening to this fine summer day).