aberdeen-music

Exodus

Ian_Brown

I was reading through an old setlist and a lot of it was terrific. Full of the likes of The Music, Joy Division, Prodigy, Graham Coxon etc. What's happened now? Whenever I go to Exodus now the music seems awful. Is there a particular night where the musics good? Last time I enjoyed any music in Exodus was on a Tuesday when it was a 60's night.

Exo was my main Friday night haunt for many a year but I've given up on it these days. I got sick of having to be in by 11.30 at the weekend or face queueing for an hour, I got sick of standing outside waiting for one to come out so one can go in, sick of being crushed inside like sardines in a tin can, sick of having to queue 6 deep at the bar and waiting half an hour to get a drink, sick of getting bashed into by people just shoving their way through the crowd with no regard for anyone else. And this: http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/other-clubs-venues/40271-bouncers-exodus.html

was the final straw. I couldn't give a fuck about the place these days, it can burn down for all I care.

Tuesday is definitelly my favourite night, it's pretty much the only nightclub in Aberdeen you'll hear stuff like Dylan and Al Wilson. In the last few months I've also heard some old Manics, Belle and Sebastian and Rilo Kiley, which makes up for any musical misdemeanours for me.

As a whole, it's not the best club in the world, but it's a pretty standard small, busy Indie club. You know what you're going to get, and it's cheap. Can't really complain that much...

any truth in the story i was told last time i was in that it's being sold and turned into flats?

i mean, it has to be a load of tosh, but just thought i'd fire it out there

Probably just a spin off from the legitimate story that Stewart Milne's bought the derelict bit of Triple Kirks to build offices.

BBC NEWS | Scotland | North East/N Isles | Triple Kirks set for a new life

Weirdly, this is the one point that winds me up the most on this thread so far. It's. Not. A. Motown. Night. Maybe about 10% of the stuff I play on Tuesdays is a product of Berry Gordy's Detroit-based label. There's lots more going on on that night than Motown.

So there. :p It's my favourite night too, although they're all wonderful in their own way.

Sorry dad, it was a compliment of sorts.

I'm obviously not an uber genre music snob perfectionist like yourself. Or i'm too pissed when there. I like the motown songs anyway.

Go shove that compliment up your ass, it's been revoked ;):p:dunce::finger:

Usually have a good night there dancing horribly.

On the bouncers note, they were pretty sound when a pal of mine got chucked out for being a tit, told him that he wasnt getting back inj but he wasnt banned, to be honest I didnae want him back in either so worked out well for all parties.

Aye, I haven't been in in a year and a half so it may be totally different now but it was enough to put me off the place for life.

Guest idol_wild

Exodus is thoroughly repugnant to me.

I've had a few good nights there and danced like a fiend to the likes of Gang of Four, Mission of Burma, Nick Cave, and The Constantines.

Oh, and Bryan Adams.

But I only went due to the lack of alternative.

I just feel too old to be going these days.

It feels dirty and wrong.

Exodus is thoroughly repugnant to me.

I've had a few good nights there and danced like a fiend to the likes of Gang of Four, Mission of Burma, Nick Cave, and The Constantines.

Oh, and Bryan Adams.

But I only went due to the lack of alternative.

I just feel too old to be going these days.

It feels dirty and wrong.

when did they ever play the constantines in exodus?!

A few months ago I heard "All the small things" by Blink 182 on a saturday night in Exodus.

Are you feeling ok Dave??

;)

Sweet baby Jesus no!

I think I'm too old for Exodus these days - I can't be arsed with the hassle of getting drinks at the bar, and mingling with little manky student wanks.

But of course I was a manky student wank a few years ago who loved going to Dussingtons, so I guess that it who Exodus is aimed for.

It's the wait at the bar which pisses me off, I've been stood there for 30 mins while the barstaff chat to their mates and have no clue about who has been waiting the longest. Pain in the arse. And the fact that I keep bumping into my friends baby sister there. She's 15 and yet I still get ID-ed at 22, what the fuck?

Exo was my main Friday night haunt for many a year but I've given up on it these days. I got sick of having to be in by 11.30 at the weekend or face queueing for an hour, I got sick of standing outside waiting for one to come out so one can go in, sick of being crushed inside like sardines in a tin can, sick of having to queue 6 deep at the bar and waiting half an hour to get a drink, sick of getting bashed into by people just shoving their way through the crowd with no regard for anyone else. And this: http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/other-clubs-venues/40271-bouncers-exodus.html

was the final straw. I couldn't give a fuck about the place these days, it can burn down for all I care.

They really need to sort out the bar upstairs. On a busy night you can't get served without some little emo twat elbowing you in the hips. I also notice whenever I'm fairly sober in there that it smells a bit 'funky'. Putting the toilets right next to the bar doesn't help.

Weirdly, this is the one point that winds me up the most on this thread so far. It's. Not. A. Motown. Night. Maybe about 10% of the stuff I play on Tuesdays is a product of Berry Gordy's Detroit-based label. There's lots more going on on that night than Motown.

So there. :p It's my favourite night too, although they're all wonderful in their own way.

As for not playing The Music or Coxon (Joy Division and Prodigy still get played all the time), time moves on. Tastes change. I highly doubt anyone would dance to The Music these days, given that they haven't released anything of worth for about five years. They were a band of their time, and that's where they should stay. Coxon gets dusted off occasionally, but there's so much more material in that vein that's more contemporary and relevant to the clientele today that it only happens on special occasions.

If I was in charge of the music at Exo I'd be playing a decent mix of electro (Daft Punk, Prodigy, Aphex Twin, Justice, Soulwax etc) , alternative rock etc. Whenever I'm in the music just sounds terrible. At least Aberdeen still has Snafu and Tunnels I guess...

PS - Regarding the alternative rock played, it doesn't seem very alternative. Correct me if I'm wrong but it usually sounds like a rundown of the NME top 20. Some of it's good but the majority like the View, Arctic Monkeys etc is atrocious. The Wombats seem to get played a lot in Exo as well and they're bloody dire.

Guest Giles Walker
If I was in charge of the music at Exo

Just for fun why don't we Compose a Exodus playlist?

I'd love to hear what all these folk who don't go there would play. Conservative estimates would put most songs at 4 minutes so that is about 45 songs between 11 and 2.

Maybe just call it 40 songs to round it off.

Go!