aberdeen-music

Replacement for Boss HM-2?

pictishpunkgirl

I had a Boss HM-2 and was wondering which of the current Boss pedals might adequately replace it for the most brutal sound possible. I've narrowed it down to the Metal Zone MT-2, Metal Core ML-2 or the Mega Distortion MD-2 but would appreciate comments from anyone with experience of these pedals. Currently using a Shredmaster but it's just not heavy enough. Amp is a Marshall Valvestate 8080 Combo which has a brilliant OD2 channel but need a pedal for when i'm not using my own amp.

I read the other thread on distortion pedals and found it interesting but would like to pin down which Boss would be best for me.

BTW, i'm not a muso so i haven't a clue what bottom end is to work it out from the descriptions. Anyone care to enlighten me as i'm crap at technical terms?:girl:

Thanks.

I've heard the ML2.....its a crazy sound all right...just walls of distortion which would suit death metal, but it still sounds like weak ass shit to me...more fizz than crunch, but thats maybe what you're after?

Personally I've always loved the Shredmaster...but I think how you play goes a long way towards how good it sounds. The guitarist of korpse couldn't believe the sound I got out a shredmaster with an epiphone les paul, I took that as a compliment! (but then, he played a strat!). Maybe try heavier strings and picks first...less distortion is sometimes more!

And always play louder than you should....if you can still hear the drums and bass, you're too low :up:

Marshall Jackhammers are a more resiliant and a much smoother version of the Metalzone. The Metalzone will fizz and buzz where as the jackhammer is more refined and replicates an actual valve amp rather than a computer. Nice and crunchy and half the price. They are build like fucking tanks as well. Get one.

The Marshall Guv'nor has the twang and response of a Marshall amp. Drop the gain and crank the mids and you get a really great sharp overdrive.

High gain pedals are usually pretty shitty and not worth the money you spend, but the Jackhammer is a bit of alright.

Sansamp pedals are expensive but worth looking into if you've got scratch to spend.

The guy in R n B said the ML-2 has a very distinctive sound.

Did you try the pedals?

You can get advice from everyone on here if you want, but at the end of the day everyone will have different opinions on what's good and what isn't. The best thing to do is try the pedals yourself using as close to your own equipment as possible. R&B should be willing to let you do that.

Someone else suggested I do that but wasn't sure if R n B would think it a bloody cheek. Plus it's 20 cheaper at Amazon so i'd feel guilty trying it out but not buying.

Just tell them you want to think about it some more before you buy. Don't think they'll be losing any sleep because they lost out on a 70 FX pedal sale to the internet.

You try on clothes before you buy them to make sure they fit, you have to try FX pedals etc to make sure they have the sound you want.

If you can be tempted off Boss pedals I use Behringer pedals and I get a great sound from them. They have a brilliant feature on their website that lets you hear samples of some of their pedals. And they are miles cheaper than Boss.

BEHRINGER STOMPBOX INTERFACE

They are pretty sturdy though not as sturdy as Boss pedals, I don't know how well they'll stand up to your para boots. (Tho in saying that though I've never broken a Behringer but I've broken a couple of Bosses).

The full range of hundreds of pedals including specs:

MUSICAL INSTRUMENT AMPLIFICATION

Maybe something like this would suit you:

MUSICAL INSTRUMENT AMPLIFICATION - STOMP BOXES - HEAVY METAL HM300 : Heavy Metal Distortion Effects Pedal

or

MUSICAL INSTRUMENT AMPLIFICATION - STOMP BOXES - ULTRA METAL UM300 : Heavy Metal Distortion Effects Pedal

I play through these two and I get an excellent sound, perfect for my needs, tho I'm more a grunge player.

MUSICAL INSTRUMENT AMPLIFICATION - STOMP BOXES - VINTAGE TUBE OVERDRIVE TO800 : Vintage Tube-Sound Overdrive Effects Pedal

MUSICAL INSTRUMENT AMPLIFICATION - STOMP BOXES - BLUES OVERDRIVE BO100 : Classic Overdrive Effects Pedal

Incidentally, I don't work for Behringer.

There's usually a very good reason for that.

Behringer have a (deserved) reputation for producing cheap knock offs of better equipment. Cheap parts, cheap build quality and a cheap sound.

I agree but not entirely. Admittedly if I had more money to spend I probably wouldn't buy Behringer, but the gulf in sound quality isn't massive, and it certainly isn't proprtionate with the gulf in price. I'm more than happy with mine, they always sound good, but not brilliant (what do you expect for 25?) but they've never broke or let me down in any way, the build quality on them is fine.

' date=' post: 465375"']you should try out the t-rex bloody mary. they have it rnb at the moment.

looks fucking rugged and i reckon it'll give you what you're looking for. is a wee bit pricey, but from the cred t rex have got it should be worth it.

T-Rex 'Bloody Mary' heavy metal distortion pedal. - Effects - Think Music

thats just google's first link.

T-Rex's are indeed pretty 'ard.

As for Behringer... I have a great knockoff tuner pedal from them, and it does the trick. I don't think I'd trust them for noise making though.

I agree with the behringer comments kinda...i've owned 2 amps and their not the best performers, not very good tonally (IMO), and they both broke.

But i do agree with the sansamp thing, i can't comment on the guitar things, but i have 2 bass drivers (one programmable, the other not), and they've never let me down yet. I pretty much swear by them...

so much so i'm after another of the tech 21 pedals. Try them :)

I use a Marshall Valvestate 8080 on the OD2 channel without a pedal but, like I say, when going through an unfamiliar amp i'd need a pedal 'cos I don't want to be f***ing about with the settings on an amp I don't know.

did you try the bloody mary?