aberdeen-music

[GIG] Lamplighter + Cheer + Noma + The Jannes Van Der Wal Appreciation Society

Is it just me or is this one dissapeared from the calendar?

Must be some people interested in this kind of stuff?

I've been listening to lamplighter for a while and really like his stuff.

I'd say that upstairs at the blue lamp is an odd venue, not bad by any means but might fox some people.

Yeah, you're right. It's a cool little area to do something. I used to work in the Blue lamp and did the bar up there from time to time for private parties. It's the kind of size that you don't need a huge number of people for it to be busy. What time is it on until? I would like to come but I've got a gig the same night (if it's late enough I'll come down afterwards).

Guest Donald

Cheer released an great album "Static Traps" on Benbecula Records (Christ, Frogpocket etc) at the beginning of the year. Well worth checking out.

Lamplighter used to be called Cynical Letdown. I only saw him play one gig under that name but he was very good.

Great to see the Blue Lamp catering to a different type of music from usual. Perfect venue for it.

Guest idol_wild

May I just allude quickly to a thread about flyering in the music discussion section of this website and say that had this poster not had small descriptions of each act, I would not be attending.

But it does. And I like what it says. So I am.

May I just allude quickly to a thread about flyering in the music discussion section of this website and say that had this poster not had small descriptions of each act, I would not be attending.

But it does. And I like what it says. So I am.

I have a Cheer CD, that would be my main reason for going. And the fact that it's something different, in a different space. If anybody wants to see what bar rooms looked like 30 years ago, this is the one for you.

Guest Donald

Here's a review of the Cheer album from The Wire:

Glaswegian Alex Cheers contribution to the Benbecula labels monthly Minerals series of releases is a beguiling collection of chiming guitar instrumentals and drifting half-melodies channelled through fuzzy drone soundscapes and benign electronic ruptures. Cheers bareboned guitar style is a kind of post-electronica folk picking, where clarity gives way to Ambient noise or collides gently with fluttering tape manipulation and processed found sound. Certain tracks fall clearly in one camp or the other; either melodic neo-folk pieces or sparser, drifting tonal workouts. But Cheer is also able to deftly navigate between the two, sometimes integrating them in subtle combinations of crystalline clarify and blurry abstraction. The style here isnt really riveting or overtly dramatic, but is more about subtle shading and leaving a gentler, but lingering impression.

Also, you have two different dates for this - 3rd May on the poster (which I'd assume is correct?) and 4th May on the calendar which a moderator should change as soon as.

Ha good some nice responses there!

It's not me who's organising it but I think we can do music till one?

Not sure, rockaustin might know better than me - do you know if they keep a strict curfew? :-)

It is definitely a great venue and I think it will work nicely with the music too.

Sandy likes you to spend money until as late as possible ;) It has been a few years since I did a shift there so can't quite remember what time it is for the upstairs but 1am seems fair. If it were in the large room next to the bottom room then it would definately be 2am.

That room is a complete time warp... it hasn't changed since the 70's down to the vintage jukebox (I'm sure my parents would be able to confirm this!).

If it will still be going on after 11 then I will be doing my upmost to make it along!

Sandy likes you to spend money until as late as possible ;) It has been a few years since I did a shift there so can't quite remember what time it is for the upstairs but 1am seems fair. If it were in the large room next to the bottom room then it would definately be 2am.

That room is a complete time warp... it hasn't changed since the 70's down to the vintage jukebox (I'm sure my parents would be able to confirm this!).

If it will still be going on after 11 then I will be doing my upmost to make it along!

Well based on what you just said it probably will!!!