aberdeen-music

Telecasters

Stichman

Telecaster Advice

I've my heart set on a new Telecaster, but I'm not sure which model. I've been mulling over these two bad boys -

New American Standard Fender American Standard Tele New for 2008 (GAK)

or...

50's Telecaster Fender 50s Telecaster (GAK)

Obviously the American Standard is more expensive, but is it that much better? Does anyone have either of these guitars? What do you think of them? etc.

my bro's american standard tele is rather primo. If it was mine I'd possibly swap the pickups but more for a change rather than coz they're crap.

don't know about the 50's one.

I'd reckon you're best off getting a cheaper one (even mexican) but make sure you play it first and upgrade any electronics if neccesary.Apart from components, I don't think theres that noticeable a difference between build quality in fenders. My mexican plays at least as well as an american deluxe that I've used. Guess it just depends on how lucky you get.

blabbo blabbo yaddo yaddo

i've got a us standard tele and a squire tele and the us standard is head and shoulders above the squire. everything about it is betterer, tone, weight, feel, build quality, everything. the mexican ones are ok mind but the best thing i'd say is just try them out. compare a couple in a shop and see which one feels right.

If I could get any one from the current sub-700 Tele range I would get the Highway One (in Daphne Blue w/ maple board) they have a nitro finish that will age better, and they are US constructed, .:: Fender.co.uk ::. but obviously I would never buy a guitar I hadn't played, not without a personal guarantee from someone I trusted, or a VERY good hunch.

Even my own Squier, surely the most downmarket ever*released with the Telecaster name on it, has character way in excess of the sum of its shoddy parts. Its from the turn of the 80s/90s

*How downmarket?

Plywood body (laminate if I'm trying to talk it up)

Toploading bridge, non thru-body

Reduced Bullet style headstock

BUT a great one piece tinted neck that makes it all better. The nearest match to my colour is Frost Gold on the Danny Gatton sig, but mine looks WAY cheaper.

What I'm trying to say is that even what looks like a dog of a Tele, can turn out to be a reliable workhorse, get one that feels good and you are laughing.

If it's a tele style and not just a fender tele you are after, consider the G&L Asat guitars.

Seconded ++++

I've owned 5 USA ASATs over the last 9 years and currently have 3.

You can buy a Tribute (Korean-made) model for 300 if you shop around. They have USA hardware and are just as well built (though have horrible tortoiseshell pickguards).

RRP for the USA models is around 1k but you can get them secondhand on eBay for around 500. I've never paid more than 600 for one. G&L are the USA guitar industries best kept secret (apart from maybe Heritage).

I'd actually prefer you ignored my advice (most people do) so that there's more around for me to buy.

USA Fenders are overpriced but will depreciate less and hold their resale value.

Wildcard entry: Fender Lite Ash Telecaster (my choice if G&L didn't exist)

As for the Fender highway series - I have a highway 1 body on my frankenstein strat. Whenever I lift it off the guitar stand, bits of the finish remain stuck. eeek.

Spend as much money as you can afford. The quality of the American Tele's are much higher than the Mexican and Japanese ones. I have a US/Mex tele hybrid and an Amercian '52 reissue. While the US/Mex is a great guitar, it is outshone in every department by my '52 reissue - tone, feel, looks, playability, tone, tone, tone.

I tried out the US Standard, Squier, Mexican and Lite Ash Telecasters. The US Standard was probably the best to play. Though they had their differences, I thought the only one very noticeably worse than the others was predicatably the Squier. Although not quite the best overall, I think I might go for the Lite Ash. I liked the feel of it and it wasn't that far behind the Standard. It wasn't quite as nice but IMO, the Standard doesn't merit the big price gap.

I tried out the US Standard, Squier, Mexican and Lite Ash Telecasters. The US Standard was probably the best to play. Though they had their differences, I thought the only one very noticeably worse than the others was predicatably the Squier. Although not quite the best overall, I think I might go for the Lite Ash. I liked the feel of it and it wasn't that far behind the Standard. It wasn't quite as nice but IMO, the Standard doesn't merit the big price gap.

ive got a lite ash possibly for sale! i'll pm you with details