aberdeen-music

Anyone use MPC?

FatHand

I'm an external soundcard away from being at least technically able to perform live. Got a bit of cash atm so might delve into some other cheap, interesting bits and pieces...something others don't have possibly, which I haven't found yet :)

I don't know how much these cost but just came across it. Analogue with digital effects. Looks really cool.

YouTube - Future Retro Revolution as an Audio Processor

There are some amazing synths and bits of hardware out there. Quite like the look of the Spectralis and the Sunsyn, unfortunately they are probably extremely expensive!

• 2 weeks later...

MPCs are great live. Its what they are designed for. Loads of flexibility, proper human/machine interface and ways of improvising everything on the fly. Add a few hardware synths and periferals with knobs and you are into sound creation chaos. Anything can happen. Thats more live than a rehearsed band imo. PCs however should be outlawed for the creation or performance of music and are the domain of homos.

MPCs are great live. Its what they are designed for. Loads of flexibility, proper human/machine interface and ways of improvising everything on the fly. Add a few hardware synths and periferals with knobs and you are into sound creation chaos. Anything can happen. Thats more live than a rehearsed band imo. PCs however should be outlawed for the creation or performance of music and are the domain of homos.

Hey, been a while! Got the virus hooked up to the MPC 2500 (not quite the power of your beast) along with various other synths + mixer and Kaoss pad. Just got a kaossilator yesterday so will try and work that into the mix as well. Started doing some live sampling onto the kaoss pad layering up melodies along with some sequences on the virus. You can create some decent mixes by gradually replacing the samples you created on the kaoss pad and the sequences on the virus, was totally improvised when doing it but sounds nice! Hopefully getting another sequencer into play soon too.

Got anything new on the cards??

• 1 year later...
Guest Tam o' Shantie

I think I want either an MPC 2000/XL or MPC 1000 but I can't decide.

The former is possibly more advanced, stronger built and potentially cheaper.

The latter is modern, still supported/developed (especially the JJ OS) and has full USB/PC integration which I like the sound of...

I think I want either an MPC 2000/XL or MPC 1000 but I can't decide.

The former is possibly more advanced, stronger built and potentially cheaper.

The latter is modern, still supported/developed (especially the JJ OS) and has full USB/PC integration which I like the sound of...

Both would be ace. The good thing I can see with the 1000 is that it is smaller. Maybe it doesn't have the same connectivity as the 2000/XL but is that why you'd be getting it? Make sure that when you buy one it has the RAM maxed out as you will only get very small amount of sampling time with the small amount they come with (it's quite expensive as it is Akai specific)

Once you have worked out how to work with the MPC you may discover that PC connectivity is not required. Despite some of the earlier posts in this thread suggesting that it's cumbersome and not flexible, believe that is what Stripey was getting at, it really isn't. You will be able to do things really quickly and if there is anything you want to use effects from your computer, just do all your processing on the computer and export as a 16 bit wav file and save it on the flash memory card that you pull all of your samples from.

Watch out though, I've had problems with mine, they can be very fragile on the inside. The part which has buggered up for me is the stereo output. The left channel failed which means that you can't even do a mono workaround. The stereo out is also linked directly with the headphones out so you can't even do a workaround using the phones output. Going to be a bit pricey to send this off so probably just going to order the part and do the fix myself, may add in a hard drive while I'm at it (not sure if this is possible with the 1000). Moral of the story is that they are more fragile than they look so no dropping/rough handling and you should be fine.

Check out Boon Doc on youtube, he uses a 1000 really well. Not sure this is the best one but shows how you can build up a track.

YouTube - BOON DOC: From Scratch pt. 2

Also check out Lamplighter (used to live in Aberdeen) as he does all of his recording and production on the MPC and it sound ace. LAMPLIGHTER on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Both would be ace. The good thing I can see with the 1000 is that it is smaller. Maybe it doesn't have the same connectivity as the 2000/XL but is that why you'd be getting it? Make sure that when you buy one it has the RAM maxed out as you will only get very small amount of sampling time with the small amount they come with (it's quite expensive as it is Akai specific)

Once you have worked out how to work with the MPC you may discover that PC connectivity is not required. Despite some of the earlier posts in this thread suggesting that it's cumbersome and not flexible, believe that is what Stripey was getting at, it really isn't. You will be able to do things really quickly and if there is anything you want to use effects from your computer, just do all your processing on the computer and export as a 16 bit wav file and save it on the flash memory card that you pull all of your samples from.

The computer would be more for ease of use taking wav audio from CDs for my melodic music plans (everyone knows hip hop samples have to come from original press vinyl)...did you mean that this would be EASIER with a 2000xl?

The computer would be more for ease of use taking wav audio from CDs for my melodic music plans (everyone knows hip hop samples have to come from original press vinyl)...did you mean that this would be EASIER with a 2000xl?

It shouldn't matter which MPC you use, I presume the 2000xl uses SD cards too so all you have to do is put it in your card reader and transfer the wav files you have been working on to it. Probably best to read up on any comparisons of the machines you can find, some people have preferences to the type of MPC they like best and its often very subjective.

For me, memory is probably the biggest thing, I'd want the machine that could handle the most RAM. The larger the RAM the more samples you can have loaded at one time. You have 16 pads, each pad can take at least 2 samples and you have 4 sample banks that you can switch between. That's a lot of spaces to fill but if you don't have the RAM you can't fill the space. I record parts straight onto the MPC from keyboards and drum machines, from youtube too. You can plug in a CD player and take you samples directly into the MPC, same with vinyl.

I'd say when you make a decision it should be cost to the number of beneficial feature. I got the 2500, partly cause I saw one going for a reasonable price on here (I had already decided I wanted an MPC by this point so was very fortuitous) but most because of the connectivity it has - USB, MIDI, Digital and Phono inputs. You can run several MIDI instruments at once which has huge potential as a hub for any electronic type project. The 1000 isn't far off the same specifications really.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

i have read that numerous times...unfortunately having never used either I don't know how important they both are. i'd say 2000xl is marginally cheaper, and better built than the 1000...it's supposed to sound better too. but the 1000 is more modern and doesnt cost much more.

i have read that numerous times...unfortunately having never used either I don't know how important they both are. i'd say 2000xl is marginally cheaper, and better built than the 1000...it's supposed to sound better too. but the 1000 is more modern and doesnt cost much more.

I know what you mean, if you haven't seen one in action or used it the list of features doesn't mean much. I'll see if I can get mine working enough to get some sound out of it and you are welcome to come and have a look see how it works. It's a bit bigger than the 1000 but the basics will be the same.

maybe storage is the issue... the 1000 seems to be easily upgradable to have one big hard disk where all your sounds are stored...i like that idea

I'd agree with that, you could have a card and hard disk so you always have a backup of your working samples. Remember to get a fully maxed out RAM when you do go for it.

• 1 month later...
Guest Tam o' Shantie

Shaun picked this up for me in London a couple-a days ago:

12431_338716000104_613875104_9505988_1008490_n.jpg

330 with 32mb RAM & most importantly, the 8 output board.

It's two expansions away from being fully loaded; I need a CF card reader & the EB16 FX board, and I plan on paying very little for both. Here's my CF drive in progress:

2yoa0e0.jpg

2djcdmr.jpg

I am waiting to recieve the CF <-> IDE adapter from a glaswegian guy on mpc-forums.com, then I should just need to rewire an IDE lead to hook it up to the MPC's motherboard, then I will be able to use 1GB cards.

The EB16 is pretty pricy but quite common - and were often fitted to S2000s as well.

sure thing! dunno how similar it is to 2500 though...the 2000 XL was the work of Roger Linn as far as I know.

incidentally, are you running JJOS?

I was going to but there were certain aspects of it that wouldn't have worked with the way I use it. I'm thinking the principle of the machine should be the same. See how you get on and let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tam o' Shantie

man, i'm so glad that I just learned how to use it. i posted that above after my first go.

now a week later i've pretty much made my first beat...just need to find someone with a snes so I can get some street fighter samples in there ;)

have you collaborated with MCs online before? I don't want to be the guy with 400 beats and no rhymes to lace them with.

man, i'm so glad that I just learned how to use it. i posted that above after my first go.

now a week later i've pretty much made my first beat...just need to find someone with a snes so I can get some street fighter samples in there ;)

have you collaborated with MCs online before? I don't want to be the guy with 400 beats and no rhymes to lace them with.

I've not been able to properly use mine in ages, lack of money and time to fix the bastard. I just used local talent when I was doing it. It also means you can do it live which is kind of what the machine is about. I felt great standing on stage with my MPC/Keyboard/sax combo! Find someone to scratch along with you or sample some scratching...

Fire me over some examples and I'll see if Hugo would be up for working on a track with you. You could also try Kuda. I guess if you are wanting to do the online thing then just look around on myspace until you find someone you like the sound of and just ask them.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

if it were up to me i'd be collaborating with NYC rappers...i just imagine that most of them have got better things to do than look for beats by white dudes in Aberdeen. I'm trying to get some contacts from the MPC forum...in the meantime i don't even have a complete finished beat yet!

if it were up to me i'd be collaborating with NYC rappers...i just imagine that most of them have got better things to do than look for beats by white dudes in Aberdeen. I'm trying to get some contacts from the MPC forum...in the meantime i don't even have a complete finished beat yet!

Start local and have something to show your skill off. Kuda is ace as is Hugo, there are definitely people here that you could work with easily.