aberdeen-music

Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight

Sam 45

The wee sma Kicks.

im maybe being oversensitive but im anticipating a small backlash of "promoter puts own band - what a cock" from certain people.(not talking about any of you guys btw)

but i think its worth pointing out, that i didnt just dump us on the bill.

i was asked by the agent for potential openers who have a fairly sparse setup (were playing as a three piece) and that would suit musically.

i sent them 5 locals and she came back and gave us it.

i think the band had to approve support and maybe coz we played with them before we got it and i know scott rabbit is quite appreciative of our early efforts to put them on and DHC supporting them from early days.

thought id get that in there before le backlash begins!

and maybe ive shot myself in the foot and nobody would have realised.

oh well....

and on that note - we are selling tickets just like any other support band so PM me if you want one! i will meet you / drop off / bring to dhc / whatever you want

im also selling tickets for next weeks wave pictures gig too if anyones interested.

x

Guest idol_wild
im maybe being oversensitive but im anticipating a small backlash of "promoter puts own band - what a cock" from certain people.(not talking about any of you guys btw)

but i think its worth pointing out, that i didnt just dump us on the bill.

i was asked by the agent for potential openers who have a fairly sparse setup (were playing as a three piece) and that would suit musically.

i sent them 5 locals and she came back and gave us it.

i think the band had to approve support and maybe coz we played with them before we got it and i know scott rabbit is quite appreciative of our early efforts to put them on and DHC supporting them from early days.

Regardless of that, if someone had a problem with you putting yourselves as the local support then it'd be their problem really. There are very few worthwhile bands who are both suitable for this bill and, frankly, good enough - I'm thinking that Copy Haho are probably the only ones other than The Little Kicks.

I can understand why you'd pre-empt the situation, Steven, but stop being so fucking nice about it! :D You're suited to the bill in almost every way and you're probably the only local band who genuinely have a large following who go to the live shows.

I've put my own band on my own bills and come in for some criticism but I didn't fucking care - when you're in a band you want to play shows with other bands you like. It's not about glory, it's about serving part of the purpose of being in a band in the first place. Plus, when I put on my own band it was always free so it saved me money! :gringo:

They wanted to embrace the sonic magnitude of their bosom buddies, The Twilight Sad. But they're not the same kind of band; they have a different dynamic. Now they just sound too loud, trebly, and overcooked in a live environment.

Which is a shame. They have played brilliant sets as a 3-piece in Snafu, The Lemon Tree, and The Tunnels.

But hey, they are a signed and extremely successful underground indie-pop band who are touring relentlessly, so they know much better than I do.

I don't think the four-piece is all THAT bad. I was at the album launch at Mono and they were sounding fantastic. I think that it's possibly taken a while for the band to get used to having a fourth memeber, but he seems to be a lot more subtle than when he first joined. That said, I don't think he's really needed.

LOL, I would have labelled you a cock if any other Aberdeen band had got the support slot. It's not your fault that your band is great.

I don't think the four-piece is all THAT bad. I was at the album launch at Mono and they were sounding fantastic. I think that it's possibly taken a while for the band to get used to having a fourth memeber, but he seems to be a lot more subtle than when he first joined. That said, I don't think he's really needed.

Having seen them a little bit at T-In The Park and all of their set at Belladrum I'd agree with that.

• 2 weeks later...
The only time I remember it being bad that a promoter put on their own band as a support was at Biffy's gig at Fat Sam's in Dundee in December '05. Started playing the start of a Biffy song (can't remember which), but it was terrible. :D

oh god, really? that's the worst idea ever! that's even worse than dj's playing a bands record when they know they're in the club.

oh god, really? that's the worst idea ever! that's even worse than dj's playing a bands record when they know they're in the club.

i was doing sound for a band the other week and the dj played their single as they came off stage. despite the fact they had played the single less than 10 mins earlier. cringe!