aberdeen-music

Jay-z @ aecc

Rob

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So what's the verdict? I was a tad dubious about spending such an amount when I'm not a mega-fan, but good grief- what a show! Ronson proved to be a real treat in my opinion, whilst Jay-Z certainly delivered the goods. Shame they couldn't have lowered the ticket price from the offset- presumably the reason half the venue was curtained off.

So what's the verdict? I was a tad dubious about spending such an amount when I'm not a mega-fan, but good grief- what a show! Ronson proved to be a real treat in my opinion, whilst Jay-Z certainly delivered the goods. Shame they couldn't have lowered the ticket price from the offset- presumably the reason half the venue was curtained off.

it was fucking ace. ronson was ok but i can't shake the feeling that he's a bit of a twat whereas jayz was awesome. pretty good atmosphere too with far far less arseholes than kings of leon.

it was fucking ace. ronson was ok but i can't shake the feeling that he's a bit of a twat whereas jayz was awesome. pretty good atmosphere too with far far less arseholes than kings of leon.

Got to agree. Jay Z was fantastic, the arsehole count was virtually non-existent and Ronson just confirmed it was pub cabaret.

Good times.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

didn't see the gig or anything, or even consider going or anything, but i just wanted to say that mark ronson is a rich, cokeheaded talentless hack cunt

• Upvote 1

Jigga man put on a great show. That fancy pants massive HD screen was pretty cool too.

Missed Ronson.

Pity it was only half full though! they obviously made the room smaller too to try and make it seem busier.

Ronson and JZ on the bill cant sell out AECC - WTF!

Fair enough TITP, summer hols etc but I still would have expected more people there.

The promoter must have lost tons of cash.

(Mind you Im sure they made tons on the other dates).

I hope it doesnt put other "big names" off coming up to Abdn as its not a great sign to their promoters/agents that JZ AND ronson can only pull in a couple of thousand folk.

Jigga man put on a great show. That fancy pants massive HD screen was pretty cool too.

Missed Ronson.

Pity it was only half full though! they obviously made the room smaller too to try and make it seem busier.

Ronson and JZ on the bill cant sell out AECC - WTF!

Fair enough TITP, summer hols etc but I still would have expected more people there.

The promoter must have lost tons of cash.

(Mind you Im sure they made tons on the other dates).

I hope it doesnt put other "big names" off coming up to Abdn as its not a great sign to their promoters/agents that JZ AND ronson can only pull in a couple of thousand folk.

AECC can be weird at times - I'd say the crowd was comparable to Ian Brown and 50 Cent gigs there last year.

A few factors may not have helped -

- bad press pre-Glastonbury re:Jay Z.

- middle of summer hols.

- middle of trades fortnight

- Glasgow date the night before

Seems strange that someone can headline Glastonbury one week then only sell 1/20th of that crowd a week or so later.

That finished yesterday.

But the other points probably were a factor.

Maybe people went back to work yesterday & were skint / couldn't be arsed after the trades.

whatever the reasons, it was pretty shit it wasn't too busy - I went in around 7:45 and couldn't believe how empty it was for Ronson (although the reasons became clear after watching him!).

Myabe Aberdonians just like their guitar bands at the AECC - Killers, Kings of Leon, Foo Fighters, etc all sold out quickly enough.

whatever the reasons, it was pretty shit it wasn't too busy - I went in around 7:45 and couldn't believe how empty it was for Ronson (although the reasons became clear after watching him!).

It's always pretty dead for support acts at the AECC. Seems majority of people that only go to big name gigs don't give a shit about supports, they only want to see the headliners.

Maybe people went back to work yesterday & were skint / couldn't be arsed after the trades.

Myabe Aberdonians just like their guitar bands at the AECC - Killers, Kings of Leon, Foo Fighters, etc all sold out quickly enough.

Or maybe they've got taste?

Credit crunch/fuel prices etc starting to bite?

In any case, won't help our chances of drawing big acts in the future.

What stuff did Ronson play anyway? The covers off his album, minus Winehouse etc? How did that work?

Yeah, loads of covers - had a heap of people come up and sing.

None of them I have the faintest clue as to who they were.

Yeah, loads of covers - had a heap of people come up and sing.

None of them I have the faintest clue as to who they were.

i was gonna ask that actually, some of the rappers were really good and i'd quite like to check them out but couldn't work out any of their names when ronson introduced them. if anyone knows then please share, particularly the two dudes from philadelphia with the red shades and the hat.

i think the reason it wasn't too busy is that it's the middle of trades, it was almost 80pounds for two tickets off ticket master(i think it was a 7 pound service charge, surely taking the piss), it was a monday night near the end of the month and everyones skint plus its' hip hop in aberdeen. there is a crowd for hip hop in the north east but it just doesn't fill the aecc.