aberdeen-music

The death of 8 Bit music (good riddance)

emergency72

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That cartridge was released around 10 months ago and, as far as I can tell, people are still making 8bit music.

yeah...that's really strange, isn't it?

cos, no one made "indie" records after the stone roses recorded their first lp.

and no one made metal lp's after black sabbath

...and no one made.....

you get the idea.

...and no one made.....

you get the idea.

I think you are misapprehending the original post and taking it far too literally. Unless of course you imagine there is going to be a massive explosion in the popularity of of actual chiptunes on actual 8bit console cartdriges as a new audio distribution format.

Every piece of music ever written has worked within the parameters of its genre.

Every piece of marketing genius has hoodwinked the people who hate that particular style/genre etc etc

emergency72, you have just fallen into their marketing trap.

How many nintendo consoles are there in the world? How many people give a crap?How much profit do you think they can expect to make from a production-expensive/minority uptake format?

You've just had your ass marketed off dude.

And you've told everyone else bout it.

Fool!

...and no one made.....

you get the idea.

I can't tell if that's a dig at my post, or if you're joining me in a making a dig at the original post.

I'm a bit confused by the anti-8bit sentiment in this thread. As I understand it, '8bit' commonly refers to music that is composed and performed on original outdated computer hardware, most often the Game Boy, NES or C64, taking into account the inherent limitations of each system and often trying to do something interesting with it, push said system to its limits, etc. I don't see that Triforce belt buckles / bad haircuts / prop keyboards necessarily come into it... or am I in the dark about a 'new' crop of pseudo-8bit acts?

I can't tell if that's a dig at my post, or if you're joining me in a making a dig at the original post.

I'm a bit confused by the anti-8bit sentiment in this thread. As I understand it, '8bit' commonly refers to music that is composed and performed on original outdated computer hardware, most often the Game Boy, NES or C64, taking into account the inherent limitations of each system and often trying to do something interesting with it, push said system to its limits, etc. I don't see that Triforce belt buckles / bad haircuts / prop keyboards necessarily come into it... or am I in the dark about a 'new' crop of pseudo-8bit acts?

The "genre" is basically rooted in disgustingly cliched retro-irony, and i find that utterly repulsive. Ppl like colonopenbracket irritate me because such people already have a dated concept of what music is, - its as if suddenly they have discovered how to use a computar to maek some oldskool BLEEPZ etc. and prancing around on stage with disconnected keyboards pretending to play along with it pretty much demonstrates what these ppl are all about.

The "genre" is basically rooted in disgustingly cliched retro-irony, and i find that utterly repulsive. Ppl like colonopenbracket irritate me because such people already have a dated concept of what music is, - its as if suddenly they have discovered how to use a computar to maek some oldskool BLEEPZ etc. and prancing around on stage with disconnected keyboards pretending to play along with it pretty much demonstrates what these ppl are all about.

I'm glad someone else gets my initial post! :up:

Now if you excuse me, I need to get back to famitracker....

Ppl like colonopenbracket irritate me because such people already have a dated concept of what music is, - its as if suddenly they have discovered how to use a computar to maek some oldskool BLEEPZ etc. and prancing around on stage with disconnected keyboards pretending to play along with it pretty much demonstrates what these ppl are all about.

I agree that that sort of thing is extremely lame, but then I don't think that's necessarily representative of 8bit music in general. Most 8bit acts I'm aware of (individuals, mostly) program music for a certain platform, take the Game Boy / NES / whatever on stage & then play the music through it. Of course, this mainly just involves hitting start and letting it run its course, not much in the way of real 'performance', but that seems to me to be very far away from the shitty ironic posturing described above.

I suppose what I'm getting at is, is the above also considered deplorable? And if so, why?

I agree that that sort of thing is extremely lame, but then I don't think that's necessarily representative of 8bit music in general. Most 8bit acts I'm aware of (individuals, mostly) program music for a certain platform, take the Game Boy / NES / whatever on stage & then play the music through it. Of course, this mainly just involves hitting start and letting it run its course, not much in the way of real 'performance', but that seems to me to be very far away from the shitty ironic posturing described above.

I suppose what I'm getting at is, is the above also considered deplorable? And if so, why?

Come on FFS! Theres NO SUCH THING as 8 bit music. Computer game music, in the 8 bit day sounded that way BECAUSE THATS ALL THEY COULD DO!!!...as soon as newer consoles came on the go which could use 16 bit sampled music, the musicians composed real music...do you think anyone writing music for NES games really thought "yeah this is amazing 8 bit toonz" instead of "christ this sounds so pish, but its all this stupid console is capable of producing" !!! :popcorn:

• 11 months later...