aberdeen-music

The death of 8 Bit music (good riddance)

emergency72

8 bit music...its over...instead of all these shitty bands who fail to make music by conventional means and resort to cheap gimmicky beepy irritating pish music, some guy has gone and released an album on a NES cart... 10/10 for creativity and imagination (I'm sure the music is pure balls!) And thankfully this also closes the door on this doomed genre, as nothing can top that :D

bauer.jpg

the art & music of alex mauer

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this bit fromt he enlightened emergency72

"shitty bands who fail to make music by conventional means "

ho ho...yeah. fucking dicks! imagine trying to make something "unconventionally"...how dare they!

what next?! people making special electronic pedals that distort the sound of a stringed instrument? worse still! imagine, someone playing a trombone through an amplifier!....the horror.

Hey I appreciate anything....someone posted a recording they made of wind blowing through scaffolding down by the harbour a while back.....amazing....

But copping out making beeping sounds that emulate sounds originally made by experienced programmers because its flavour of the day is as bad as crazy frog....

Obligatory link to awesome Hexstatic video which illustrates what happens when talented people do the 8bit sound :

YouTube - Hexstatic - Vector

Excellent link. Cheers!

Haven't we had a very similar thread to this before?

As for 8-bit, I loved video game music and bought soundtracks way before all this retro/ NES controller belt buckles/ Triforce wristband bullshit became popular.

I admire composers during the home computer/8-bit era because you had to be both a composer and a programmer to create soundtracks. Imagine only having 4 channels to work with!

Its an album, on a NES cartridge, which you play on your NES.

Most 8 bit music fans probably couldn't tell you what NES stands for, never mind own one, hence I love the irony :D

No, no, i have one of those, don't worry. I know how they work.

I guess what i meant to say was that i couldn't understand your, what seems, 4 year old kid thought process. S'all a bit silly, really.

yeah...imagine that, what a doss!

TPA02_front.jpg

jesus I feel old.

Actually it's 4 channels of tiny samples, there's a lot of creativity and ingenuity required to work within that medium, as anyone who has used a tracker will tell you.

Any dickhead with basic cognitive functions can operate a 4 track tape recorder, probably a monkey or a dog could quite easily be trained to do it.

Excellent link. Cheers!

Haven't we had a very similar thread to this before?

As for 8-bit, I loved video game music and bought soundtracks way before all this retro/ NES controller belt buckles/ Triforce wristband bullshit became popular.

I admire composers during the home computer/8-bit era because you had to be both a composer and a programmer to create soundtracks. Imagine only having 4 channels to work with!

i've got an ace compilation of commodore 64 music remixed and reworked by various artists. bought it for a laugh initiially when i worked in one up years ago but soon grew to love it. it's called output 64 if anyones interested.

I haven't heard much 8-bit music outside of game soundtracks but what I have heard I've liked. I love a lot of old, actual game music as well. From a production standpoint it may seem simplistic or gimmicky ( I know nothing about about production), but from a compositional standpoint, there's way more notes than your average rock/pop/indie track.

The Hexstatic stuff is really cool, I'm sure stripey linked that last time there was a thread about 8-bit.

Guest Giles Walker

Oh Colon Open Bracket?

I was wondering about them as well, they seem to be based in Glasgow now. I wonder if they are rubbing as many people up the wrong way there as they did here.

I actually booked them to play my night a while back and, even though it is not really my thing, they do what they do pretty well. Although they are doing it for people who are more than half my age i suspect.

Their stage set up is a bit of a lulzfest for an old man like me, with the two girls playing computer keyboards on straps around their necks. Like a keytar but with a computer keyboard. I found them to be pretty standoffish to me even though i had asked them to play my night, which is pretty fucking rude in my book.

The camp dude with the pink and blond hair and lisp who hangs around and takes photos of them gave some priceless chat at the party afterwards though. He seemed to be in love with the band and Mart, at one point telling me about how he was playing Hadouken! before anyone else in Aberdeen had ever heard of them.

Priceless.

As for 8-bit music being over because someone released an album on a NES cartridge that no one here has ever heard, my response would have to be a hmmm....

Their stage set up is a bit of a lulzfest for an old man like me, with the two girls playing computer keyboards on straps around their necks. Like a keytar but with a computer keyboard. I found them to be pretty standoffish to me even though i had asked them to play my night, which is pretty fucking rude in my book.

Yeah I thought that whole pretending to play "keyboards" business was pretty stupid. Here's a video of luke vibert doing the exact opposite