aberdeen-music

"Underground" music

Inkster

Guest idol_wild
But yeh, one of my pet grumbles is people rabbiting on about bands nobody's ever heard of NOT because they think they are excellent and they want to educate / share the knowledge, but because they want to show their underground music knowledge credentials by seeking out really obscure bands to try and sound cool.

I don't know anyone who does this. In fact, most of the people I talk about music with are only to happy to tell me about new bands, and vice versa.

What I do hate, however, is when I am accused of being pretentious/precious/too cool to admit to liking certain bands. I was quite recently accused of this by my girlfriend because I said that I didn't like Midlake! What the fuck!? I just don't like Midlake.

I also hated the fact that when I worked at One Up I was accused of being pretentious and judgemental by a customer. I challanged him over this and asked why they thought that, and they said "because you look so intently at the spine of the CD case every time I buy some, as if you are judging what I am buying"...

...in One Up, the CD cases are empty and they have to be matched up to the correct CD which are kept in cardboard sleeves behind the counter. So I wasn't judging in any way - I was ensuring I matched the right case up witht he right disc! Fucking idiot.

I was also once accused of being too pretentious to like Muse. "You just don't like them because they're so big"...

...No, I just don't like them because I don't like their songs.

I don't know anyone who does this. In fact, most of the people I talk about music with are only to happy to tell me about new bands, and vice versa.

What I do hate, however, is when I am accused of being pretentious/precious/too cool to admit to liking certain bands. I was quite recently accused of this by my girlfriend because I said that I didn't like Midlake! What the fuck!? I just don't like Midlake.

I also hated the fact that when I worked at One Up I was accused of being pretentious and judgemental by a customer. I challanged him over this and asked why they thought that, and they said "because you look so intently at the spine of the CD case every time I buy some, as if you are judging what I am buying"...

...in One Up, the CD cases are empty and they have to be matched up to the correct CD which are kept in cardboard sleeves behind the counter. So I wasn't judging in any way - I was ensuring I matched the right case up witht he right disc! Fucking idiot.

I was also once accused of being too pretentious to like Muse. "You just don't like them because they're so big"...

...No, I just don't like them because I don't like their songs.

there's something quite ironic about being called pretentious by a fan of one of the most pretentious and wanky popular bands around just now.

plus it's obvious you don't dislike popular bands just for the sake of it. you're one of the few men on these boards who proclaim themselves to be a fan of take that for instance(i'm not kidding incidentally) :)

Guest idol_wild

plus it's obvious you don't dislike popular bands just for the sake of it. you're one of the few men on these boards who proclaim themselves to be a fan of take that for instance(i'm not kidding incidentally) :)

I never said I was a Take That fan - I just said Patience was an incredible pop song. And it is. If I wrote that song I'd be fucking delighted.

I will happily admit to absolutely loving Annie Lennox, though. :love:

Patience was an incredible pop song. And it is. If I wrote that song I'd be fucking delighted.

I will happily admit to absolutely loving Annie Lennox

Yeah, but that's just swinging the other way from a 'only liking obscure bands cuz they're obscure' attitude. Almost like you're trying to convince everyone you aren't racist: 'Honestly, I've got loads of black mates!'

Oh, lame thread. I'd happily be spoon fed music if there was a feeder out there equal to the task :D

Guest idol_wild
Yeah, but that's just swinging the other way from a 'only liking obscure bands cuz they're obscure' attitude. Almost like you're trying to convince everyone you aren't racist: 'Honestly, I've got loads of black mates!'

Ha. Too true. I can accept how that looks. :dunce:

But it wasn't my initial point - I was only reacting to Officer's misunderstanding that I was a fiend for Take That.

Now, where's my 12" copy of The Faithful Anchor by Unwed Sailor...

Worst thread ever.

once you hit your later teen years, you'll realise that 99% of the world's population listens to awful music - what is the point in letting it frustrate you? people as a rule, have awful taste in music, movies, clothes, cars...and lots of people also might think that the 'underground and therefore great' music you listen to is shit, too. my advice is to stop caring.

Truth.