aberdeen-music

"Underground" music

Inkster

Go to local band nights or look out for "The Next Big Thing" and go to a watch a few unsigned bands or bands on small independant labels?

Surely the majority of regular users on this website do this in some way? It's kind of the whole point...

Guest idol_wild

I don't intentionally go to see "underground" acts, I just go to as many gigs as I can realistically afford, should they interest me.

Meursault are unsigned and they are one of my favourite bands of all time.

I don't intentionally go to see "underground" acts, I just go to as many gigs as I can realistically afford, should they interest me.

Meursault are unsigned and they are one of my favourite bands of all time.

That's more of the response I was looking for.

I was getting at the point if you ask quite alot of people about certain bands you think are quite big, most people still haven't heard of them. Quite a lot of people still only listen to mainstream music and it really frustrates me. I haven't heard of quite alot of bands that people mention in here but yet they get mentioned in "band/album of 2008" threads.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

once you hit your later teen years, you'll realise that 99% of the world's population listens to awful music - what is the point in letting it frustrate you? people as a rule, have awful taste in music, movies, clothes, cars...and lots of people also might think that the 'underground and therefore great' music you listen to is shit, too. my advice is to stop caring.

once you hit your later teen years, you'll realise that 99% of the world's population listens to awful music - what is the point in letting it frustrate you? people as a rule, have awful taste in music, movies, clothes, cars...and lots of people also might think that the 'underground and therefore great' music you listen to is shit, too. my advice is to stop caring.

I'm 23 so that statement about being in my later teens doesn't apply to me.

It frustrates me how people like to be spoon fed rather than getting of their ass and searching for stuff.

Everyone has opinions but instead of answering the questions I set to start with, many people (as per usual on here) start having pops at everyone and their view points. This is a musical discussion forum, not a lets berate people forum.

How many people follow the underground scene?

Go to local band nights or look out for "The Next Big Thing" and go to a watch a few unsigned bands or bands on small independant labels?

Does anyone have an unsigned band in their top favourite bands list?

if by "underground" you mean this really really bad synth metal/"SCREAMO!"/"emo"/"rave" movement which has taken place, then no, 98% of those bands are completely shite.

I don't care what other people listen to. They can listen to Kylie or Johnny Cash for all I care.

I was asking whether people take an interest in the underground scene in general. Your band is part of that scene. Clearly people take an interest or you would play infront of a total of 0 people every gig you play.

I personally like watching the small bands and see where they go. How far they get to. Whether they succeed or fail in the industry. I was just wondering if others do the same?

Jesus, no need to bite my head off and have a personal attack at me!

if by "underground" you mean this really really bad synth metal/"SCREAMO!"/"emo"/"rave" movement which has taken place, then no, 98% of those bands are completely shite.

No I don't. I mean any band who are unsigned or signed to indie labels. Any band who are not featuring in NME/Kerrang etc every other week.

I don't really have much "underground" stuff, well maybe if your average Radio 1 listener who's never heard of The Clash for example, looked through my iPod most of it would look like a different language, but to anyone who knows anything about music most of the stuff on my iPod would be very familiar, except for a couple of little gems I've picked up a long the way.

But yeh, one of my pet grumbles is people rabbiting on about bands nobody's ever heard of NOT because they think they are excellent and they want to educate / share the knowledge, but because they want to show their underground music knowledge credentials by seeking out really obscure bands to try and sound cool.