aberdeen-music

Is it just me or is Aberdeen a bit 'pish' for music?

Ian_Brown

Just need to look at IMP and Dizzy Storm forums on here to see the diversity of music in Aberdeen and Vocoustics to name just three promoters. I don't go to nearly as many gigs as I used too but there is always something on that I feel I should attend.

(outrageous plug for The Low Lows gig at end of the month, 30th that is an evening of wonderful left of centre music. And yes Graeme I am aware of the poster situation but this old cripple struggles these days, I have heaps of Bn W ones ready and going out...)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Aberdeen is doing very well for itself these days.Whether you're into pop, indie or metal, there's something on for everyone" ... "Of course you get other stuff whether it be jazz, classical or folk."

Yeah so you're alright as long as you have the taste in music of a naive 14 year old or a pensioner. Great.

Aberdeen is good for music, all things considered. The likes of Snafu and Moshulu consitently put on the cream of Scottish indie and rock music: Idlewild, Frightened Rabbit, Twilight Sad, Sons & Daughters, Hazey Janes, Franz Ferdinand, etc. There are pretty frequent visits from "big" bands at the AECC if that's your thing, and there are some terrific promoters booking alternative folk acts - IMP and Vocoustics for example. I remember seeing a LOT of good Jazz at the Lemon Tree, so hopefully that'll continue when it kicks off again. If you're in a band, you can almost certainly get a gig somewhere no matter what your style - I'd take this opportunity to say the scene in terms of local bands is a lot more varied and diverse than we tend to give it credit for.

I can't comment on any other genres of music, but it seems to me that Aberdeen has got it pretty good. Since moving to Glasgow I'll admit I've been to a lot more gigs and seen a lot more varied acts, but it is a BIG city. Considering Aberdeen is relatively small and fairly out of the way in terms of touring, I think we do really well.

Guest Giles Walker

I don't really see how listing everything that we are all into does anything worthwhile here.

For example i really like disco and no wave, does it matter in the grand scheme of things?

No

We should all be thankful that we have any sort of scene here at all.

Now you should all come and listen/dance to me spinning disco and no wave at snafu tonight.

. although the Bar Esco (old Rendevous nightclub, if anyone knows Dundee) is now a music venue and the owner gives bands a good deal, if you want to put your own nights on.

Seems I was a bit premature in recommending this place, seems all is not quite right.:down:

yer forgetting the balcony and drouthies, which are easily my two favourite venues. westie is nae bad too i suppose

Id rather not play than play at the doghouse. its a rotten, cavernous affair full of tossers

Sorry yes They are 2 excellent venues as well, all be it. a bit on the small side.

Was actually at a gig at Drouthys a week ago.

Gotta to disagree about The Doghouse though, fantastic venue, we have had two nights there in the past 2 months or so, both times big crowds in and no tossers that I saw:love:

Anyway enough about Dundee, it's an Aberdeen thread:up:

Can I just say I think both cities are very lucky have so many excellent bands and venues, as there are now, think back 6 or 7 years, frightening.

If only more people would get off their arses and go to watch local bands gigs.

It was more tounge in cheek really. I don't really care what he listens to. The whole point is, Aberdeen has a diverse taste for everyone unless you're too cool for school.

No, it only has "a diverse taste for everyone" if you think pop, indie, metal, jazz, classical and folk, as you put it, is the entire musical universe.

Unless you're too cool for school? Go stick your head back in the sand you idiot.

No, it only has "a diverse taste for everyone" if you think pop, indie, metal, jazz, classical and folk, as you put it, is the entire musical universe.

Unless you're too cool for school? Go stick your head back in the sand you idiot.

Why take what I say so literally? I was merely stating a few genre's of music off the top of my head. It would be great if we catered for dub/house/trance/hip hop/rap styles of music to. I'm sure we do in some form but in a small city like Aberdeen where there's not that many people, pubs,clubs and venues run as businesses and as such have got to cater for the larger market rather then the small minority ones. It's unfortunate but that's just how it is.

...but in a small city like Aberdeen...have got to cater for the larger market rather then the small minority ones. It's unfortunate but that's just how it is.
Aberdeen caters for everyone

Uh-oh...! You should hold your wayward generalisations before credibility is lost for good. It's not necessary to hold an opinion on absolutely everything all the time, but many people on here seem to form views as they type, and see no problem in later contradicting themselves if popular opinion swerves away from their earlier, plucked-from-thin-air ideas.

There's plenty of places that play music/feature bands that don't fall into those genre's in Aberdeen. Kef did it for years, Snafu has regular nights of electronic based DJ's and bands, I walked past The Tunnels the other day on a weekend night and they were putting on an evening of traditional African Drumming! I don't know what you're looking for or where you're looking for it?

Also, where do you think you are? This isn't London or New York, it's an oil city in the North-East of Scotland! Of course the primary interest is going to be in genre's like Pop, Indie and Metal. Considering it's a provincial British city which the majority of people in the UK know little to nothing about, we do OK. Infact I'd say the worst thing about Aberdeen at the moment is people trying to act like it's Camden or Manhattan, there's a bit of a faux-cosmopolitan thing emerging.

There's plenty of places that play music/feature bands that don't fall into those genre's in Aberdeen. Kef did it for years, Snafu has regular nights of electronic based DJ's and bands, I walked past The Tunnels the other day on a weekend night and they were putting on an evening of traditional African Drumming! I don't know what you're looking for or where you're looking for it?

Also, where do you think you are? This isn't London or New York, it's an oil city in the North-East of Scotland! Of course the primary interest is going to be in genre's like Pop, Indie and Metal. Considering it's a provincial British city which the majority of people in the UK know little to nothing about, we do OK. Infact I'd say the worst thing about Aberdeen at the moment is people trying to act like it's Camden or Manhattan, there's a bit of a faux-cosmopolitan thing emerging.

Are you mental?

Are you mental?

This is probably your best post.

Seriously though, I don't know what part of my post your referring to. I assume not the bit about Snafu and Kef playing electro/DnB etc as that's pretty much fact.

Just to clarify the last bit, I didn't actually mean Aberdeen was in anyway like London or NY (I'm not that mental), I mean't that people have slightly too high expectations of the city I think. We have had bands up here I never would have imagined when I first started going to gigs and people still complain as if they lived in a huge city.

I don't understand how you can spend so much time being at pains to say how shit and backward Aberdeen is, and then be surprised that there isn't a massively diverse music scene. I've talked to people from down South who are surprised there's electricity in Aberdeen, let alone a club that was voted Scotland's best, and at least 4-5 decent venues.

In Aberdeen, or in general? If the former, that would be my biggest gripe as well.

I mean on planet earth, it could be that I have failed to hear the ones I would like, but statistically there is not likely to be many. I have heard some electronic tanzmusik thats been good, so its not all bowff.

The bands with guitars I have liked recently are Le Tigre and Clor, and neither of them are exactly typical guitar bands. Shitdisco are good too, but I almost don't think they count coz I know them.

Aberdeens nae that bad for a city of 250 000 odd people

I think Aberdeen is on the up for live music. The gig guides are busier than I can ever remember in the past.

BUT

Ironworks at Inverness are getting lots of bands that are bypassing Aberdeen altogether. It is a good venue (I saw UFO up there a couple of years ago - large, enthusiastic audience) and I assume that they are trying hard to get acts which are too big for small venues but not big enough for AECC type venues.

The Music Hall is a great "medium size" venue but as the only one in Aberdeen, and covering comedy, classical etc, it must be hard finding convenient slots for touring bands.

I was saddened when the Capital closed many years ago. I was a great mid size venue. Just in excess of 2,000 seats, I think.

Oops. First post for a while. I have made the mistake of not going off topic or dishing out abuse at someone who I don't agree with.

Aberdeen is a bit pish period, I don't think the music scene isn't particularly bad in context.

I'd like more small gigs and events rather than AECC and music hall ones but most people don't care so much about intimacy, they're more about seeing bands that they're into.

Kef was a prime example of catering for different tastes and look what's happened to it!

Doesn't really add up - Kef had a good innings and can hardly be regarded as a failure. Of course no one wants to lose money promoting unpopular things, but there are people in Aberdeen interested in more than a few broad genres - maybe things will come to fruition in the light of Kef's closure; the dying God effect. This may even be an exciting time!

Dunno if it's just the time of year or the lack of Lemon Tree but I'd say the first 4 months of the year have been quieter than normal.

Still, Magik Markers, RZA, Caribou, Stars of the Lid in the next few weeks so it's starting to look up!

Once the Lemon Tree reopens and we get past the summer festivals then no doubt things will improve.

Dunno if it's just the time of year or the lack of Lemon Tree but I'd say the first 4 months of the year have been quieter than normal.

Nothing to do with the lack of LT. Every sound engineer is feeling the pinch (except house engineers but even they are less busy than normal).

Jan is normally very quiet but it picks up in Feb and back to normal by April-Sept.

I've had to dip into my savings for the first time in years, I know of another PA company praying for a good summer or it's bye-bye.

Hopefully just a quiet period or things are going to get worse as all the experienced techs migrate to "proper" jobs/cities.