aberdeen-music

Flyering

davewarden

Guest idol_wild

Do descriptions help?

Yes. Describe the band's sound and/or ethos. It's something I always look for in posters, yet very rarely find...

If the description of a band I have barely heard of appeals to me, I'll go to the gig. Simple as that.

Yes. Describe the band's sound and/or ethos. It's something I always look for in posters, yet very rarely find...

If the description of a band I have barely heard of appeals to me, I'll go to the gig. Simple as that.

yea but sometimes that just makes a poster look dead cluttered and unreadable. a poster should be simple and eyecatching with a clear message.

i agree descriptions do help but i'm not sure they always have a place on a poster.

oh and if you want one sided black and white flyers surely the best thing to do is get photocopying. cheap and cheerful but does the job.

Guest idol_wild
yea but sometimes that just makes a poster look dead cluttered and unreadable. a poster should be simple and eyecatching with a clear message.

i agree descriptions do help but i'm not sure they always have a place on a poster.

I think eye-catching yet informative is what any promoter should aim for. And I don't think it's difficult either.

Thus, in my reckoning, descriptions are crucial. Even just one sentence. If I see an eye-catching poster with bands I have never/barely heard of and there is no description then it's simple: I won't even consider attending the gig, or even finding out about the bands on my own. The promoter should do all the work - not the punter/potential gig attendee.

I think eye-catching yet informative is what any promoter should aim for. And I don't think it's difficult either.

Thus, in my reckoning, descriptions are crucial. Even just one sentence. If I see an eye-catching poster with bands I have never/barely heard of and there is no description then it's simple: I won't even consider attending the gig, or even finding out about the bands on my own. The promoter should do all the work - not the punter/potential gig attendee.

do you want me to stick descriptions on that poster i made this morning then? :)

Guest idol_wild
do you want me to stick descriptions on that poster i made this morning then? :)

No no, it's cool. Your poster is great - so long as there is at the very least a myspace link! :up:

I can understand what you're saying about descriptions but I don't always think it's necessary and hardly ever include it on my posters.It's very hard to describe some bands and some people's descriptions might be different to others and yes it can make posters look very cluttered.

Why do you need a myspace link? surely it's easy enough to go on to myspace and type in a bands name and click search?

I personaly think the design or band name can tell alot. e.g. if you've got spikey writing for a band name that you can hardly make out, it's more likely that the band/gig will be of the hardcore/death metal variety than an indie gig.

Guest idol_wild

Why do you need a myspace link? surely it's easy enough to go on to myspace and type in a bands name and click search?

That's making your potential punter do more work than necessary. You're the one that needs them along - thus you should do every little thing you possibly can in order to ensure any potential punter is convinced to attend.

Especially with flyers - flyers are something you will hand to someone, thus they will possibly keep it and type in the myspace URL and listen to the bands. Sometimes searching a band name in myspace doesn't yield results.

Going by the overall theme/design of a poster can sometimes be misleading. Why leave anything to chance? Be up front, direct, and to the point. Sell your gig and do the bands you book justice.

Some minimal description is essential, as far as I'm concerned. As are myspace links. If you give the punter the information, they are more likely to check out the bands in question. If there's neither on a poster, I wouldn't be surprised if no-one turned up for the gig. It's not that difficult to make a poster eye-catching AND informative.

And saying that font types will give an impression of what the band sound like is a massive generalisation, as it only works for extreme music like death metal etc.

ive been getting my recent printing done (incl Enablers/Felix Kubin posters and our group listings leaflet) at Iceberg Arts...its a new social enterprise set up by the Cyrenians...full print shop facility...can do posters/fliers/leaflets...whatever you want... colour/b & w/double sided........and they dont charge VAT!!!! based in a wee building on summer street, next to Cyrenians

cheaper than repro/thistle/wherever...and connected to a charity :)

01224 622027...speak to graeme

Cheers for that DS. I think i'll give that place a try for my next bunch of flyers etc although just now, I just use the work printers hehe

On the description thing - I think i'll give it more of a chance cos people are putting up a reasonable argument as to why to include it on a poster.

• 2 weeks later...

I like a little blurb on a poster too. The latest poster for my next gig, with IMP, is The Low Lows one (supplied by the label) and I felt that the image kinda sums it up: Cowboy hat, butterflies, Flowers, unusual font and just a little otherworldly, sums the music up quite well I felt. I would have liked to add some info about the French band, Crevecouer, as they are on their own tour and should be a great gig in their own right, no room so I went with the strongest image and then a little hope that the discerning music fan will get an idea that this gigs looks well worthwhile. If there was space I would have a added a quote about the sound though...

Guest idol_wild
Does that mean that the punter will have to then note the address, get to a computer and do some work on his/her own? Cheesh, imagine that...

:)

Not if it's a flyer. Because the point of flyers is to hand them out. Thus, the potential punter will have all the details required on one small bit of paper.

Not if it's a flyer. Because the point of flyers is to hand them out. Thus, the potential punter will have all the details required on one small bit of paper.

Indeed. I read poster though.

As much info as possible is always best. I for one like a website or myspace where I can go listen to the music and not have to go out of the house and hang around with the great unwashed in a pub...

:up: