aberdeen-music

Distortion

Huw

I used to have a Marshall Valvestate head. I used to tell people it was awesome. When I got a valve amp, I realised why they thought I was an idiot.

I had a Valvestate 8080 (I think that's what the model was) combo, and I thought is was pretty good as well. Not sure if people thought I was an idiot though. I think, as I said above, that it's horses for courses.

I think there's way too much snobs involved in the guitar world. For instance my two favourite sounding/playing guitars at the moment are my Epi SG (Thanks GASS) with Wizard Spellbinder pickups fitted which cost me about 180 in all. I did back to back test with a Gibson SG with standard p-ups, and also a Gibson 61 RI. The Epi sounded better than both of them IMO. The second is what I think to be one of the bargains of the decade so far...my Gibson Melodymaker c/w P90 pickup. Purchased new from Bruce Millers ABZ for 275 after it lay in the shop for about 2 years or something. Now why was it so cheap? Well IMO it was a Plain Jane to look at so no one thought 'that would good on stage at the Tunnels'. However it sounds/plays great for my punk and rock & roll type music.

So that makes the two guitars come to about 455 quid. Not bad I think.

Now, I could have spent well over a grand to get the same tones as I've got with the two above guitar. But, if I had done that some folk would have called me an idiot.:up:

i agree with you there that yeah you do get snobs that would look down their nose at anything under a grand but sometimes its the other way. you get folk that will call you an idiot if you buy anything over a grand!

nothing wrong with paying for quality if you want it and people shouldnt be discriminated for it and theres nothing wrong with quality inexpensive gear either.

anyway speaking of line 6 - i have a flextone amp that i use at home or at practices now and again and its a great piece of kit for the money. you can get some real nice sounds from it. apparently they have now been bought over or in partnership with bogner

i agree with you there that yeah you do get snobs that would look down their nose at anything under a grand but sometimes its the other way. you get folk that will call you an idiot if you buy anything over a grand!

nothing wrong with paying for quality if you want it and people shouldnt be discriminated for it and theres nothing wrong with quality inexpensive gear either.

I'd say it is all relevant the level of use you get out of it. My squire strat and zoom 505 did me a great service in bedroom playing (although that was about 9 years ago now!).

And I've seen people make average set-ups sound great, and amazing set-ups sound terrible. Decent playing, and knowing how to get the tone you want is far more imortant than having a 4k rig.

Guitars are different to amps when it comes to the price, most of the time. if the guitar is made out of good, solid wood and there's no dry spots on the neck, then you can make that guitar sound as good as you want it to be with some shifting of electronics and a damn good set up. You can pick up a second hand Pacifica for around 100 and Yamaha don't make bad guitars. Their entry level models have ruled that market for years and years, and with some fine tuning, a bog standard Pacifica can be a fine piece of work. I have two, and they give my ESP Viper a run for it's money. The build quality and workmanship of Epiphone these days is also outstanding. Another overlooked brand is Vintage who make better SG copies than anyone, except for Gordon Smith. However, most of the time, a guitar under 500 will have dogshit stock pickups.

With amps, a solid state amp will almost always be inferior to a valve amp. You can make a cheap valve amp even better with the right modifications, but modding a solid state amp will rarely make it surpass the quality of a valve amp.

There's some great solid state amps available, but they can cost big money and still only just replicate real valve tone.

I had a flextone plus combo, c/w ext cab. I got some very usable sounds out of it. Wish I had not sold it now. Oh well!

i think its generally line 6 spiders that are real gash. but, saying that, i was trying out a prs yesterday, fed it straight into one of line 6's new bogner valve modellers. sounded ming mang mong.

I own/ have owned

EH Big Muff (Sovtek) - broke

EH Big Muff (USA) - broke

BK Butler Realtube - not bad with a treble booster but too big (sold)

Rat 2 - older, flat model (2000). much better than the new, wedge-shaped ones

Crowther Audio Hotcake - ace! Still on my pedalboard. Loves treble boosters.

Maxon OD-808 - (sold) OK, but not as good as...

Reverend Drivetrain - amazing 808 clone with lots of low end

Danelectro Fabtone - WTF

Boss DS-2 - Only ever used for DS-1 mode. Sold

Vox Over The Top Boost - I can't get enough of this - treble is set to ten. I win

Zvex Fuzz Probe - (sold) Okay but annoying and not as good as...

Roger Mayer Octavia - ringmodulator, octave, fuzz, all I have to do is move gtr's vol knob.

Tech 21 Sansamp Acoustic DI - used as treble / level boost for valve amp. Broke.

Mk I Marshall Guvnor - a lot like the RAT2. Cool but surplus to my needs - SOLD

Also, have owned two Tech 21 Trademark 60 combos at different times (but I won't get into the amps)

I tend to use treble boosters and compressors into valve amps to get overdrive these days. I still use the hotcake for a solo boost and the octavia for doom/freakout sounds.

I would recommend

OD - Reverend Drivetrain II (ebay), Hotcake (buy direct from Paul Crowther)

Dist - Keeley DS1, old-style rat 2 (ebay), Big muff for stoner sounds (but it WILL break), absolutely anything by tech 21

Fuzz - anything by roger mayer or DAM

I quite fancy some of the Pete Cornish pedals - especially the soft sustain and ultra-reinforced big muff (that stands a chance of not breaking). I'd also like to get him to build all my pedals into one unit with controls that can only be operated from the inside - to stop me compulsively fiddling.

I quite fancy some of the Pete Cornish pedals - especially the soft sustain and ultra-reinforced big muff (that stands a chance of not breaking). I'd also like to get him to build all my pedals into one unit with controls that can only be operated from the inside - to stop me compulsively fiddling.

that would be pricy like i bet! i do something similar with all my pedals. i got the GXC switcher and Ground control system. put all my pedals in the rack unit and program them in to the Ground Control. saves hopping your feet around all over the place.