aberdeen-music

MONOTONIX (Tel Aviv) @ TRANSITION EXTREME SAT MAY 10TH

Monotonix are a punk trio from Tel Aviv, featuring guitar (Yonatan), drums (Ran) and vocals (Ami). They formed in November 2005, set up on the floor of the club with the audience, and the party began. But the party usually got too wild, the power got cut, the cops were called and Monotonix were banned from playing again almost everywhere. Before long, they were looking for good places to play outside of Israel and they were delighted to find that there were more rock and roll party places outside of Israel than inside!

after going down a storm in the US, Monotonix are hitting European shores from May 8th this year, touring with Silver Jews ....and we are very chuffed to announce that we've managed to secure them for Aberdeen on a day off from the Silver Jews tour... and will be puting them on in a very different kind of setting :)

With a lead singer who has the presence like that of Eugene Htz and David Yow, a guitarist who plays the rhythm, the lead, and the bass lines all at once, and a stand-up drummer who doesnt stop no matter what piece of his kit is pulled away from him and hoisted above the crowd, Monotonix just might be one of the most exciting live bands playing today. Inflightatnight.com

MySpace.com - Monotonix - Tel Aviv - Garage / Progressive / Concrete - www.myspace.com/monotonix

monotonix.jpg

press

If you didnt enjoy yourself at this one, kids, youre deeply fucked." - S.F Weekly

"Since the times that Fugazi, Unwound, and Les Savy Fav have left me speechless from their sonic force and physical fearlessness, I have not been as floored by a band as I was watching this bass-less trio unfold." - Seattle Weekly

"The most slept-on power trio in underground rock." - New York Sun

"Total rock performance art energy." - Chunklet.com

"Of all the bands I saw these last four daysRahim, Big Sleep, We Are Lightning, Thunderbirds Are Now!, Les Savy Fav, Ghostface Killah, Rakim, Clockcleaner, CX Kidtronik, the Rub DJs, the Teeth, Black Lips, Fucked Up, Apples, This Moment in Black History, Those Peabodies, Chin Up Chin Up, the Walkmen, Matt and Kim, Bonde do Role, C-Rayz Walz, Attractive and Popular, that one band whose name I forgot, that other band whose name escapes me, those six bands whose name is on the tip of my tongue, Archie Bell, Deerhunter, the Ponys, Danava, the Gossip, Erase Errata - Monotonix put on the best live show" - Philadelphia Weekly (SXSW 2007 Review)

testimonials-

"You can't possibly put on paper how much energy this band has live. Ami Shalev, the band's singer was, at his highest point, hanging from a steel rafter roughly twenty feet above my head... and at his lowest had his head burried into a knocked over fifty galon trash bin, still singing. They're a straight-forward, crunchy, loud, rock band. Don't let that fool you though... this band is incredibly powerful. You cannot possibly fully appreciate them until you see it live. To be honest, it was the best show I've seen in a long time."

"This was performance as performance art and rock as confrontation. No matter where you stood in the sharp divide (I bought a T-shirt if you're wondering), you wouldn't soon forget seeing Monotonix live."

"When the lead singer burst on to stage, we weren't really sure it was the lead singer. It could've been some fan. Or, I don't know, a vagrant. Within 30 seconds he had lept the security fence and into the audience, where he spent most of the performance. I don't think I've spent that much time looking behind me at a show. he turned the crowd entranced. The end of the show brought it all together. They pulled down the drums, the guitar, and everything came into the audience. we all played till the end."

MONOTONIX gig to be streamed live on internet

...as we did with Lightning Bolt a few years back (wow was it that long ago?!) the MONOTONIX gig at Transition Extreme will be filmed, streamed live on the internet and archived for future viewing... :)

this will all be possible with the help of the guys at 360tv @ Peacock Visual Arts

360TV : Phone : 01224 639539

and for all you skaters/bmxers...this gig will also be allowing a late skate/bmx session from 8pm in the park...entry 5...whilst the band are playing...(obviously certain areas not accessible) and you guys will be filmed too

more details to follow...

so... 5 for entry to the show for everyone, if you're a gig-goer or a skater/bmxer (dont worry we will have 'safe' standing area on the park!)

...more details to follow

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh

It was afa good, the sound was surprisingly excellent from all angles, they played in the middle of the skate park with a very decent PA, and weird angles of skate ramps all around, the skaters and BMXers went whizzing past at alarming rates and were occasionally frightening, but in comparison to Monotonix they were pretty namby pamby... the singer poured bottles of water over the snare drum which exploded spectacularly on the hard hits ,the kick drum was re -positioned mid gig and played by the guitarist whilst the drummer conjured eclectic beats out of the hi hat and snare drum and they were acrobatically excellent with the singer performing as if Iggy Pop was his mere grandfather, balancing atop the drummers shoulders, mid performance was a hoot, he he, a great speactacle .