aberdeen-music

Does anyone drive a Kia Picanto?

Lemonade

What's it like? How does it handle? How does it feel inside? How was the aftercare? Good mileage? Any problems with it? Give me as much info as you can please... They're selling them brand new from the showroom for 6k, I know they're only little 1.0 litre girly cars, but at that price I'm really tempted, especially as they are only like 35 a year for road tax cos of emissions. I'm going to test drive one tonight.

What's it like? How does it handle? How does it feel inside? How was the aftercare? Good mileage? Any problems with it? Give me as much info as you can please... They're selling them brand new from the showroom for 6k, I know they're only little 1.0 litre girly cars, but at that price I'm really tempted, especially as they are only like 35 a year for road tax cos of emissions. I'm going to test drive one tonight.

I sold mine after my balaclava went missing

A girl I used to work beside had one and she really liked it, thought it was a sharp we handler and roomier than she was expecting at the size, she replaced an old VW Polo with it. I reckon for the cheapness of servicing/tax/insurance allied with great mileage and a very long warranty it certainly is piece of mind motoring and I haven't heard of any reliability issues. Can't say I would go down that route myself but I can see the common sense in it and it will be bloody easy to park!

I only drive a Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec at the moment, I never imagined when I got rid of that I would be taking a step DOWN in engine size! I've heard they're really roomy, my fiesty quite happily holds guitars, amps, golf clubs etc. In fact, sad as it is to admit, I moved house in it last year and fit everything I own in it. But that's more due to my lack of stuff than the size of the car.

Its a toss up between the Kia Picanto and the new Fiat Panda, they're just wee city cars, but I never drive anywhere except in the city anyway, my car hardly ever goes above 40mph, and I don't have any kids so I don't really have much need for a big 2l car.

Kia Picanto review, road test, prices - Fifth Gear

Kia review, road test, prices - Fifth Gear Picanto

Fiat review, road test, prices - Fifth Gear Panda

Fiat review, road test, prices - Fifth Gear Panda

a local taxi company me ma worked for used a few of the bigger kia cars, appearently they felt pretty cheap inside and the plastic bits few off regularly but they drove and handled well compaired to they're more expensive VW cars/busses. they broke down regularly but so did all the taxi's as they do crazy amouts of miles.

personally i'd keep a car that i know is reliable before i bought anything new and unknown, unless i was keeping the old one as well. plus i'm too tight to buy anything brand spanking from a main dealer anyway!!

fiats are a disaster, all I have heard is bad things with stuff going wrong

surely if money is the issue here why not buy a nearly new car at 20k on clock etc, same money, same credit/hire purch agreements, a good warranty etc and you get a bigger/better built car than a kia and you will not have any problems for many many 000s of miles plu syou can always barter second hand!

oh aye, fiat panda's are permanant 4x4 are they not? i know someone who just took their new one back as it had such bad fuel economy, why a small town car would need 4 wheel drive is behond me, i do most of my offroading in 2 wheel drive and only switch to 4 when struggling for grip. plus the panda's road springs required replacement after 6 months!!

surely if money is the issue here why not buy a nearly new car at 20k on clock etc, same money, same credit/hire purch agreements, a good warranty etc and you get a bigger/better built car than a kia and you will not have any problems for many many 000s of miles plu syou can always barter second hand!

Yup. It would be cheaper all round to buy nearly new or used car... Buying the kia you're saving on car tax, but that's only once a year. Cheaper car = cheaper insurance etc. Just make sure its got a good service history etc.

Good luck in your car hunting.... My little Ka is on it's last legs, so this will come to me soon enough too!

i agree. my sisters punto pretty much fell in half (Thank you arnold clark!:up:).

My mums mate has a suburu juste (or how ever its spelt), 1.0L puddle jumper pretty much, she loves it. ace econmey ive been told and cheap road tax too. oh yeah she got it for pretty cheap new too.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

a used approved (and hence still under warranty) 1-2 year old toyota yaris or nissan micra would cost about the same money, be more refined and fun to drive, far more reliable, and hold its value better

oh aye, fiat panda's are permanant 4x4 are they not? i know someone who just took their new one back as it had such bad fuel economy, why a small town car would need 4 wheel drive is behond me, i do most of my offroading in 2 wheel drive and only switch to 4 when struggling for grip. plus the panda's road springs required replacement after 6 months!!

No, most of the range are 2 wheel drive, there is a 4 wheel drive model though. Also I have heard the wee Picanto's are the best of the Kia range and are actually much better built than the big ones and feels more like a European car. Not that I would know much about this sector, been years since I had anything under a 2.5 petrol.

Fiats are shit don't touch one with a bargepole.

Much better to take your cash and buy a 2nd hand Mazda or Honda. You'll get a better car with massive reliability and it won't be plastic pish.

True but the tiny nature of the Kia puts it in the lowest band for insurance and the lowest band for road tax. Plus it gives great mpg.

I drive a citroen c3 at the moment and have done for four years, 2nd lowest insurance, lowest tax, 72mpg and diesel (will run into the 100k plus easily with little problems) and I bought it at 18k on clock for 7k

four dours, very comfortable and plenty of space for lugging backline around in.

when you buy a car from new you actually lose around 2k from the price or thereabouts (pending on type of car obv). I have never seen the point in it

No, most of the range are 2 wheel drive, there is a 4 wheel drive model though. Also I have heard the wee Picanto's are the best of the Kia range and are actually much better built than the big ones and feels more like a European car. Not that I would know much about this sector, been years since I had anything under a 2.5 petrol.

ah fair doo's, wee car's arnt really my thing either, i'm in the process of beefing up me smallest engined motor with a 3L essex V6, dont think i'll be getting 72mpg out of it though!! i thought me toyota truck with its 20-25mpg of diesel was good!! o_O

True but the tiny nature of the Kia puts it in the lowest band for insurance and the lowest band for road tax. Plus it gives great mpg.

Good points, but if you are after value for money why would you even consider buying a car new ? For this type of car you are going to lose half the value of it just by driving it out the showrooom.

I still recommend you look for a second-hand car. There are obviously other cars out there that fulfil your requirements - for example, the C3 mentioned earlier. I've driven one of them and while it's not the car for me it is perfectly adequate.

Dont buy new (or Italian :up:)

ive worked on a few of them at their garage

kia yes reliable and making a good name for them selves now, they tend to be reliable and no major worries, however ive seen many come in with ghost symptoms and what like that left us scratching our heads and going by guess work,

they are a nippy car and good bang for you buck, i personally think they are a hairdressers car, check out the Ceed'

also having a kia franchise garage is good for replacement parts also their 7 year warranty i believe

hope this helps

Wooo!! Good choice I do have to say!

And you'll be surprised... there's plenty room in the boot! Haha.

What colour did you get? (such a girly comment. Lol)

But I decline the offer of dodgems. My Ka looks like it's hand 10 rounds with Mike Tyson... Probably something to do with the clientele of Pearl Lounge (my parking zone).

It's the 1.3 Ka Style, it's black with the metallic finish, ya know the one with the teeny little colourful metal flakes in the paint so when the sun hits it it looks like it's covered in glitter? That one. I have a glitter car. At the risk of sounding totally gay, it's fabulous. I paid an extra 350 for the silly glitter paint btw. Fool and his money and all that jazz.