aberdeen-music

Broadband installation

Lemonade

I moved into a new flat a couple months back (rented), and there is a phone line in it, though it doesn't appear to be connected to anything (there is a dial tone but the only number you can actually dial is 999, the rest just give you the three beeps or "The number you have dialled has not been recognised"). I want to get broadband put in but I heard I would have to shell out to BT to get my phone reconnected before I can do this. Is that right? I don't really know what I'm talking about when it comes to these things. I thought about getting the Sky deal for Sky TV, Broadband and a landline, since I don't have any of those already. Would I still have to pay a reconnection charge? Any help much appreciated, cheers.

I moved into a new flat a couple months back (rented), and there is a phone line in it, though it doesn't appear to be connected to anything (there is a dial tone but the only number you can actually dial is 999, the rest just give you the three beeps or "The number you have dialled has not been recognised"). I want to get broadband put in but I heard I would have to shell out to BT to get my phone reconnected before I can do this. Is that right? I don't really know what I'm talking about when it comes to these things. I thought about getting the Sky deal for Sky TV, Broadband and a landline, since I don't have any of those already. Would I still have to pay a reconnection charge? Any help much appreciated, cheers.

You won't be able to sign up for broadband unless you've got an active phone line in the first place, and BT are the only folk that can connect your line as they control all the telecoms infrastructure.

So, in short, you'll need to pay the reconnection charge. Bummer.

Do you always have to pay a reconnection charge though? I rent as well and I'm sure when I asked BT to re-connect the line here they did so for free (because they are getting you as a new customer anyway).

We had the same situation when we moved into our flat. I think that they charged us about 25 for the reconnection because we went with BT and their call packages. It was a while ago and I can't fully remember, but I am sure you had to pay something to reactivate the line.

Besides, even if you went with Sky, you still may need to pay BT for line rental on top of the Sky package.