aberdeen-music

New Sound Desk

Flash@TMB

For those interested we have successfully installed a Yamaha DSP5D:

PM5D, PM5D-RH, DSP5D, DCU5D | Mixers | Products | Yamaha Pro Audio

This is essentially a rack mounted PM5D-RH minus the control surface. It makes more sense for us to use computer control as we don't have the room to safely house a large control surface.

Inside it we've installed an 8 channel 96KHz digital I/O AES card with sample rate convertors, through which our jukebox, DJ decks, and DVD will input, and our stereo will output into the digital crossovers. There's also a T-diff card that hooks it into the digital recorder.

We didn't expect a noticeable sonic improvement but ended up being blown away by it. Sonically it's so different that we need to re-calibrate the speaker balances on the crossovers. Previously we had only one minor EQ tweak at 100Hz, now we're running ti absolutely flat.

On the monitors we had 4 parts of EQ round the crossover frequencies, these are also now flat, and once again it's possible to 'rest' to mics on the monitors without anything feeding back (I know the goes against everything I've learned to fear LOL). The removal of the monitor EQ has dramatically increased clarity and volume in the monitors (although volume was never much of an issue).

The DSP5D also comes with some high quality FX and emulators.

Channel wise there are 48 pre-amp XLR inputs with AD convertors and, unlike the DM1000, the gains on these are all electronically adjustable which is a big boost. Following on from there are 24 bus channels and 8 matrix busses. There are also 4 stereo inputs which we have linked up to our digital I/O card. There are 8 FX processors to play with, and dozens of FXs. Finally there are 24 OMNI outputs which we'll use mainly for monitor output. We were considering upgrading the monitor outputs to full digital, but there doesn't seem to be much point now.

All round clarity is enhanced through the FOH, and the lower frequencies are much better represented. The whole thing sounds a lot punchier and more powerful. IMO it's impossible to tell whether it was analogue or digital now, just that it's incredibly high quality.

The first gig with it is this Saturday, but it might take a few weeks to really start to exploit it's full potential.

It will take me a few weeks, but It will be much more open sounding than before, Already i have set a load less compression over the whole system. But it will be work in progress for a few weeks, So if its not right I am working on it :)

For those interested we have successfully installed a Yamaha DSP5D:

PM5D, PM5D-RH, DSP5D, DCU5D | Mixers | Products | Yamaha Pro Audio

This is essentially a rack mounted PM5D-RH minus the control surface. It makes more sense for us to use computer control as we don't have the room to safely house a large control surface.

Inside it we've installed an 8 channel 96KHz digital I/O AES card with sample rate convertors, through which our jukebox, DJ decks, and DVD will input, and our stereo will output into the digital crossovers. There's also a T-diff card that hooks it into the digital recorder.

We didn't expect a noticeable sonic improvement but ended up being blown away by it. Sonically it's so different that we need to re-calibrate the speaker balances on the crossovers. Previously we had only one minor EQ tweak at 100Hz, now we're running ti absolutely flat.

On the monitors we had 4 parts of EQ round the crossover frequencies, these are also now flat, and once again it's possible to 'rest' to mics on the monitors without anything feeding back (I know the goes against everything I've learned to fear LOL). The removal of the monitor EQ has dramatically increased clarity and volume in the monitors (although volume was never much of an issue).

The DSP5D also comes with some high quality FX and emulators.

Channel wise there are 48 pre-amp XLR inputs with AD convertors and, unlike the DM1000, the gains on these are all electronically adjustable which is a big boost. Following on from there are 24 bus channels and 8 matrix busses. There are also 4 stereo inputs which we have linked up to our digital I/O card. There are 8 FX processors to play with, and dozens of FXs. Finally there are 24 OMNI outputs which we'll use mainly for monitor output. We were considering upgrading the monitor outputs to full digital, but there doesn't seem to be much point now.

All round clarity is enhanced through the FOH, and the lower frequencies are much better represented. The whole thing sounds a lot punchier and more powerful. IMO it's impossible to tell whether it was analogue or digital now, just that it's incredibly high quality.

The first gig with it is this Saturday, but it might take a few weeks to really start to exploit it's full potential.

sounds like a nice system. you should get some dub on the go to get those speakers worn in :p i'm definatley going to come down check it out soon

Well the Basic setup worked very well, I just need to be careful with the volume now, due to the use of much less compression it doesn't sound so loud. Now I need to get the rest of the inputs sorted so we can get the Recording back on the go.

Well the Basic setup worked very well, I just need to be careful with the volume now, due to the use of much less compression it doesn't sound so loud. Now I need to get the rest of the inputs sorted so we can get the Recording back on the go.

It's deceptively loud. It's not until someone attempt to talk to you that you realise "WHOA that's way to loud". Incredibly painless.