aberdeen-music

crimes against music.....

delboy

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Originally posted by Ibid:

Hmm. A little reaction to one's own inadequacies I fear.

No need to fear, I know I have more than my fair share of flaws but I don't see why some people make a lifestyle choice out of it. It seems they embrace them as opposed to working on them.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest allsystemsfail
Originally posted by Jakey Spike Boy:

Emo to be punished by death, so they'll have something legitimate to whinge and snivel about for a change as opposed to crying because Daddy wouldn't increase their pocket money.

I think we all kinda got the message.

Guest Ibid
Originally posted by Jakey Spike Boy:

No need to fear, I know I have more than my fair share of flaws but I don't see why some people make a lifestyle choice out of it. It seems they embrace them as opposed to working on them.

Well people have to get their inspiration from somewhere Jakey. I gather you hate emo, whatever that is. I have the answer...don't listen to it.

People on here, like scenesters everywhere, are prone to labelling genres they hate "shite". You can only label something shite if it is badly played. Otherwise it is not shite. It may not be to your taste, but to call it shite is ignorant and supremely arrogant. It's also self defeating and so stupid as to defy description.

So just get on with your own music and leave the stuff you hate to others. If your stuff is good enough, you'll make money and be popular...if not...well.. the country & western boys will probably call it shite.

Guest Tooms

^^^truth being spoken^^^ :up:

the bleating of the spoiled brats who have made a lifestyle of their inadequacies that boils my piss about it
who are you basing that on, out of curiosity?

And what's all this talk about 'fuck sting'?! What was wrong with the police exactly???

Well people have to get their inspiration from somewhere Jakey. I gather you hate emo, whatever that is. I have the answer...don't listen to it.

People on here, like scenesters everywhere, are prone to labelling genres they hate "shite". You can only label something shite if it is badly played. Otherwise it is not shite. It may not be to your taste, but to call it shite is ignorant and supremely arrogant. It's also self defeating and so stupid as to defy description.

So just get on with your own music and leave the stuff you hate to others. If your stuff is good enough, you'll make money and be popular...if not...well.. the country & western boys will probably call it shite.

I believe that Jake has no problem with Emo music. Hes not referring to Emo music Ibid. He is referring to the way "emo" kids have conducted themselves.....look at me;( life is so hard Im so fucked up blah blah. I personally dont give two shits, If bands make music and are happy, thats great

As for saying that Jake should concentrate on getting rich/popular etc is a total joke. Come see Spike live and you will see what I mean. We have had people walk out of our gigs because we have offended them. We are pisstakers who get off on peoples reactions. Some people have told me that they hate our attitude, pffft whatever lol. Anything we say is 99% tongue in cheek. Some people find us funny, some people hate us......., dont like us, go see Britney Spears etc

Guest allsystemsfail

Make money and be popular? Sure, that's what making music is all about, right? Belief does not come in to it.

Guest Ibid
Originally posted by Hog:

I believe that Jake has no problem with Emo music. Hes not referring to Emo music Ibid. He is referring to the way "emo" kids have conducted themselves.....look at me;( life is so hard Im so fucked up blah blah. I personally dont give two shits, If bands make music and are happy, thats great

As for saying that Jake should concentrate on getting rich/popular etc is a total joke. Come see Spike live and you will see what I mean. We have had people walk out of our gigs because we have offended them. We are pisstakers who get off on peoples reactions. Some people have told me that they hate our attitude, pffft whatever lol. Anything we say is 99% tongue in cheek. Some people find us funny, some people hate us......., dont like us, go see Britney Spears etc

Sounds interesting Hog. I shall make a point of coming to see you.

Originally posted by Dag'n'Mandy:

Btw, Is that about an incestuous orgy or something???

this is freaky i was round at soundian's flat last week and his girlfriend put on this mad music and a version (i suspect the original) of the new bunton single came on!!!!

its about being desperate to have a big hit single......

Guest Ibid
Originally posted by allsystemsfail:

Make money and be popular? Sure, that's what making music is all about, right? Belief does not come in to it.

Who said that's what music is all about????

If a band has something special, no doubt stemming from your vague allusion to belief, then they'll become popular which is one step on the road to making money from your music.

Then, I suppose, you'll accuse them of "selling out".

With recognition comes commercial interest-that's the way it is. The selling out shite only comes from people who don't have a snowball's chance in Hell of being good enough. If you picked a band at random in Aberdeen and offered them a recording contract, artistic freedom and a 30,000 advance, they'd bite your hand off.

Originally posted by *Lucy*:

Saying that someone likes morrissey shouldnt be an insult and he is by far a more inspiring lyricist and singer than any member of metallica. My ex tried to make me like metallica but it didnt work. And it never will. Now i just keep away from metallica fans.

yes agreed, metallica are ok but they're best work was released many years ago....

Guest allsystemsfail

Who said that's what music is all about????

If a band has something special, no doubt stemming from your vague allusion to belief, then they'll become popular which is one step on the road to making money from your music.

Then, I suppose, you'll accuse them of "selling out".

With recognition comes commercial interest-that's the way it is. The selling out shite only comes from people who don't have a snowball's chance in Hell of being good enough. If you picked a band at random in Aberdeen and offered them a recording contract, artistic freedom and a 30,000 advance, they'd bite your hand off.

I'm sorry, but I do not equate success with "selling out". Success does indeed follow recognition yes. My point is however, that not everyone seeks to accrue large amounts of money via their music. For some, a political belief, that is an unwillingness to compromise their politics and surrender their values to capiltal, is of greater importance.

For instance, UK anarcho punks Conflict, were only a couple of years ago, approached by five majors. Valuing their independance, those chose to continue alone. There are other examples.

For instance, UK anarcho punks Conflict, were only a couple of years ago, approached by five majors. Valuing their independance, those chose to continue alone. There are other examples.

I don't understand this, because I thought the whole hardcore/punk ethic was to get their message across to as many people as possible?

Surely the bigger label you sign to = more interest from public = message across to more people...?

Did Operation Ivy not also split up because "they got too big"?

As long as a band doesn't sacrifice their musical integrity in order to get money then I couldn't give a flying fuck whether they are on EMI or releasing music themselves.

EDIT: Having said that, if a band is against big corporations etc then I can understand their refusal of signing to a major...however if they still wear shoes by adidas and drink coca cola etc then is it not uber-hypocrisy?

Guest allsystemsfail
Originally posted by Dan Atom:

I don't understand this, because I thought the whole hardcore/punk ethic was to get their message across to as many people as possible?

Surely the bigger label you sign to = more interest from public = message across to more people...?

Did Operation Ivy not also split up because "they got too big"?

As long as a band doesn't sacrifice their musical integrity in order to get money then I couldn't give a flying fuck whether they are on EMI or releasing music themselves.

EDIT: Having said that, if a band is against big corporations etc then I can understand their refusal of signing to a major...however if they still wear shoes by adidas and drink coca cola etc then is it not uber-hypocrisy?

I think you'll find that the outfits to which I have referred do not support corporations whose profits are sought by way of misery and death.

Yes, promoting a message of political struggle is extremely important. However, if such outfits were to jump to a major, it would indeed, as you correctly pointed out, involve hypocracy. You cannot both rage against the machine and embrace it.

Guest Ibid

I think you'll find that the outfits to which I have referred do not support corporations whose profits are sought by way of misery and death.

Yes, promoting a message of political struggle is extremely important. However, if such outfits were to jump to a major, it would indeed, as you correctly pointed out, involve hypocracy. You cannot both rage against the machine and embrace it.

I understand and respect what you say, but, surely there are ethical independent labels who are in it purely to support bands who would otherwise never be heard by a large slice of the record buying public.

Guest allsystemsfail

I understand and respect what you say, but, surely there are ethical independent labels who are in it purely to support bands who would otherwise never be heard by a large slice of the record buying public.

I agree. My sticking point is majors.

Guest allsystemsfail
Originally posted by Lawy Lawson:Attorney:

Totally.

Shouldn't it depend on the label? Surely just because a record company is big doesn't mean it's "evil" automatically.

As I've pointed out, no hypocrisy is involved.

I really don't want to get in to a huge debate about this, but I'll say just this. Leftist opinion has always been central to punk's cause. It is extremely anti-corporate. Jumping to a major runs contrary to the belief system on which the DIY punk community was built. Major labels have sought only to exploit punk, it thought a profitable commodity. They seek no interest in the scene. We built this scene, and many like myself, refuse to stand by and watch it be destroyed by the meddling of majors. We have created something extremely special. Through hard work, the DIY punk community is stronger than ever before. What we have today is a global network of zines, distros, show spaces, labels, bands, friends... Lets not permit these parasites to ruin it.