aberdeen-music

Anti-Emo Riots Break Out Across Mexico

Neil

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On face value it's pretty ridculous and cringeworthy in equal measure. If anyone's actually been following the story though, it's essentially been a quirky cover for what is tantermount to anti-gay groups physically attacking innocent kids.

The reason it's really kicked off in Mexico is that it seems to have a very masculine, alpha-male thing ingrained in the culture and the popularity of 'emo' culture is seen as having connections with homosexuality. It's a pity the whole thing has been trivialised for the media by making it some kind of subcultural thing, it's really just 'macho' guys battering guys they think look gay. It's pretty horrific.

You can actually act this story out using smileys. Watch.

:moody: Emo kid - "I'm so emo and moody"

:kiss: " Emo kid - I'm going to kiss another man just to be different"

:gringo: Mexican - "Look at that gaylord".

:girl: Mexican - "He looks like a right fairy"

:guns: Mexican - "Time to tool up and take to the streets"

:help: Emo kid - "Help we need the riot police"

X-( Emo kid - "Too late"

It's also a pretty stupid idea to mindlessly attack people. But yeh fair enough, yay for male hegemony and gender conformity etc etc

If you deliberately choose to dress in an outlandish, provocative manner, and it attracts the wrong kind of attention, as a fashion victim that's your problem, not society's.

Also, what's wrong with "gender conformity"?

You can actually act this story out using smileys. Watch.

:moody: Emo kid - "I'm so emo and moody"

:kiss: " Emo kid - I'm going to kiss another man just to be different"

:gringo: Mexican - "Look at that gaylord".

:girl: Mexican - "He looks like a right fairy"

:guns: Mexican - "Time to tool up and take to the streets"

:help: Emo kid - "Help we need the riot police"

X-( Emo kid - "Too late"

That is probably the worst post I have ever seen on here.

Guest idol_wild
If you deliberately choose to dress in an outlandish, provocative manner, and it attracts the wrong kind of attention, as a fashion victim that's your problem, not society's.

Really?

So this Goth that was kicked to death last week, purely for being a Goth, had it coming did she? That was her problem?

Guest idol_wild
She was kicked to death last year, the trial was last week.

But that's beside the point.

Thanks for the correction. I only heard about it on the radio this week.

I think the fact that people can't dress how they want without being beaten to shit IS society's problem, Stripey.

Yes, many do like fannies, but still I wouldn't beat them up because of it.

If that's a typo (I assume missing out the word "look"), it's a good one.

Haha, yes, look was meant to be in there. :up:

Really?

So this Goth that was kicked to death last week, purely for being a Goth, had it coming did she? That was her problem?

Dressing up as a goth or emo or whatever is a conscious decision, and yes it would be great if people could dress how they liked without being jeered at or beaten up, but that's not the kind of world we live in.

Common sense and pragmatism suggets that if you live in a society full of boneheaded homophobic thugs, it's a bad idea to deliberately make yourself look androgynous or effeminate and waltz down the high street holding hands with your boyfriend.

The notion these kids typically hold that society ought to bend to accommodate their every childish whim just shows how naive they really are.

Comparing this to homophobia is absurd, because these people have deliberately chosen to make themselves stand out.

Guest idol_wild
Dressing up as a goth or emo or whatever is a conscious decision, and yes it would be great if people could dress how they liked without being jeered at or beaten up, but that's not the kind of world we live in.

Common sense and pragmatism suggets that if you live in a society full of boneheaded homophobic thugs, it's a bad idea to deliberately make yourself look androgynous or effeminate and waltz down the high street holding hands with your boyfriend.

The notion these kids typically hold that society ought to bend to accommodate their every childish whim just shows how naive they really are.

Comparing this to homophobia is absurd, because these people have deliberately chosen to make themselves stand out.

It's also society's problem that these 'boneheaded homophobic thugs' exist and act upon their misguided prejudices, then.

And I never compared anything to homosexuality or homophobia, incase that final sentence was directed at me.

For once I completely agree with you Stripey.