aberdeen-music

Recommendations for headphones?

Morning View

Are all headphones rubbish? I am on pair number 3 in less than a year and despite paying a little more on the last pair in the hope that they'd last a little longer I've been disappointed again.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced pair of in-ear headphones? I don't want anything too fancy as I only use them for my walk to work but I want some that wont send me into a rage after 3 months.

Thanks

Are all headphones rubbish? I am on pair number 3 in less than a year and despite paying a little more on the last pair in the hope that they'd last a little longer I've been disappointed again.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced pair of in-ear headphones? I don't want anything too fancy as I only use them for my walk to work but I want some that wont send me into a rage after 3 months.

Thanks

Christ, what are you actually doing to them and what makes have you tried already?

I agree with the Sennheiser option as recommended by Dave and would also like to throw the Koss "Spark Plugs" into the ring. 16, good bass response and very comfortable.

Song MDR EX71. I've had these for over a year and they are unbelievable. When I first bought them and plugged them in I was astounded by the sound quality. I went back and listened to albums I've had for years and I could hear bits that I'd never heard before. Amazing bass, and they completely block out any outside sound. They set me back about 40 from Macro but you could probably get them cheaper if you shop around.

In fact they're only 15 on Amazon! Wow I got ripped off.

Amazon.co.uk: Sony MDR-EX71SLB Fontopia Headphones - Black: Sony: Electronics & Photo

Christ, what are you actually doing to them and what makes have you tried already?

I agree with the Sennheiser option as recommended by Dave and would also like to throw the Koss "Spark Plugs" into the ring. 16, good bass response and very comfortable.

Um, I don't think I've been doing anything that would damage them. I think I might be jinxed. I can't remember what makes I have tried already because the rage at only hearing music in one ear results in me launching them into the nearest bin.

Thanks for all the recommendations, I will look into getting some new ones tonight.

I agree with the Sennheiser option as recommended by Dave

So do I.

I've tried everything and don't think - I KNOW these are the best!!!!

They even make Ipod haters like the sound of my Pod! But these sound great on my TV and hifi as well. They can handle the bass no worries with a lovely clear treble sound.

Amazon always have them cheap if not from One - Up. And they will fit in your lugs regradless of size due to the interchangeable rubber bits.

I can't hear the wife nagging me when I've got these on :up:

Yes Koss are awesome. I have a massive pair of electrostatic things and they sound amazing. I had a pair of sennheisers i got with my Rio player a while ago and they were great. the cable was a bit short though... strange.

I would look at how you treat your headphones - the one thing I always see people doing is wrapping them around the mp3 player or sticking them unceremoniously in a pocket where the cable gets stressed right at the jack and dies fairly quickly. Make sure when you stick the mp3 player in your pocket that the jack is free and not being forced in any way and that you don't just ball them up and chuck them in a bag or anything.

I am currently using a set of Sennheiser PX200's which do the job, similar to the px100's but a closed design so slightly more isolated

I am currently using a set of Sennheiser PX200's which do the job, similar to the px100's but a closed design so slightly more isolated

The PX100's sound a lot better than the PX200's in my opinion. The closed back nature of the 200's restricts the dynamics of their sound reproduction. Each to their own though.

Song MDR EX71. I've had these for over a year and they are unbelievable. When I first bought them and plugged them in I was astounded by the sound quality. I went back and listened to albums I've had for years and I could hear bits that I'd never heard before. Amazing bass, and they completely block out any outside sound. They set me back about 40 from Macro but you could probably get them cheaper if you shop around.

In fact they're only 15 on Amazon! Wow I got ripped off.

Amazon.co.uk: Sony MDR-EX71SLB Fontopia Headphones - Black: Sony: Electronics & Photo

I found these to be very good headphones following a recommendation from Mr. Elwood some time last year.

• 4 months later...

My MDR EX71's finally broke today, after 18 months service. I immediately went online and bought exactly the same pair. That's how much I love them. You can get the white ones on Amazon for 10, which seems to be exactly the same as the black ones, only er... whiter. I can't see a difference anyway.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_ce/203-8879357-7720706?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=sony+mdr+ex71

Anyway, I'm back to the crappy free iPod headphones till my new ones get here. That means all weeknd with shit sound. *sigh*

Play.com (UK) : Shure SE210 Sound Isolating Earphones (White) : Electronics - Free Delivery

Expensive but easily the best money I have ever spent. If my pair broke today, I wouldn't even think twice about replacing them like for like. The only thing is that you have to start ripping cd's at 320 kbps... Anything lower and you can hear the poor quality of the sound file.

I'm another for the Sennheisers - I have a pair of PX100s to use with an instrument/recording gear & a pair of in-ear for my MP3 player. Both have lasted a good while, although the PX100s do get cared for better.

Sony can be variable - I had an excellent set I bought for a replacement for an old player when I could not replace my busted Audio-Technicas (also v.good) in a hurry - I was going into hospital. More recent models have not impressed me though.

• 7 months later...
My MDR EX71's finally broke today, after 18 months service. I immediately went online and bought exactly the same pair. That's how much I love them. You can get the white ones on Amazon for 10, which seems to be exactly the same as the black ones, only er... whiter. I can't see a difference anyway.

Amazon.co.uk: sony mdr ex71 - Electronics & Photo: Electronics & Photo

Anyway, I'm back to the crappy free iPod headphones till my new ones get here. That means all weeknd with shit sound. *sigh*

TERRIBLE NEWS. My trusty MDR EX71's, which I've relied on for the past 2 and a half years have broken and Sony have stopped making them!!! :down: 8o ;(

I bought some no-names from HMV to tide me over but they're absolutely shit - everything is totally muffled and the bass is just a dull thump.

So I'm back in the market for new headphones. I want in ears, something with a sound as crisp and clear as my EX71's, and with a bass reponse as good as my EX71's. I've got about 30 to spend but the lower the better. What should I try?

I miss my EX71's ;(

WHY DID YOU HAVE TO BREAK???? WHY?????!!!!!!!

rip-poems8.gif

I used to have the JVC gummies and they worked great until i lost my ipod with them in it. I now use JVC headphones but the ones that go like right in your ear they cancel outside noise and work great! I think I got mine from HMV. There easy to spot as they have like 8 diff colours to choose from.

I would also like any recommendations. I'm probably going to buy some in-ear ones at lunchtime today. So any recommendations of some good ones I can pick up in the centre of town before 1 would be much appreciated.

Koss Plugs. 16(ish) from me at Brucies. I used to use them and they are comfortable and are good sound quality-wise as well for the price.