aberdeen-music

imp and TwoJoe Projects: The Low Lows + Crevecoeur + Amy Sawers @ Drummonds, 30 April

interesting music promotions and TwoJoe Projects present

THE LOW LOWS + CREVECOEUR + AMY SAWERS

Wednesday 30th April 2008

Cafe Drummonds, 1 Belmont Street, Aberdeen AB10 1JR. Phone 01224 619931

Doors 8pm Entry 5

http://www.cafedrummond.co.uk

http://www.myspace.com/interestingmusic

http://www.myspace.com/twobackjoe

141_the_low_lows_poster.jpg

THE LOW LOWS

The Low Lows formed from the embers of the critically acclaimed NYC dream pop quartet Parker and Lily. The swirling, majestic debut album, Fire On The Bright Sky, was released in October 2006 - now their sophomore disc, Shining Violence, reveals a more feral, leaner balladry. Gone are the feminine layers of organs, pianos and vibraphones, replaced with minimalist, melodically distorted guitar and smashing, trashy drums.

Imagine crushing wall-of-noise country, seared with a creeping intensity that is gut wrenchingly raw and poetic. Stank southern sweetness which gives way to storms of guitar noise as vast acres of alt-country narcosis crumble into climactic, stumbling feedback and violently reverbed distortion.

The Low lows' live shows remain their primary focus, and are raw, loud, electric and visceral. The BBCs The Beat recently called their live session "absolutely beautiful... one of my favorite sessions of the year. Marvelous."

"A fantastic audio experience...the most constructive use of feedback since Neil Young in the 1980's....slow, menacing but with a strange magic. (4/5)" Maverick Magazine UK

http://www.thelowlows.com

http://www.myspace.com/thelowlows

http://www.monotremerecords.com

CREVECOEUR

Crvecoeur is an unusual French trio formed in 2003. Initially formed by two young multi-instrumentalists playing guitars, percussions, harmonium, trumpets and various toy-instruments, Crvecoeur were later joined by a further violin player/multi-instrumentalist. Their songs are mostly instrumental pieces, a tribute to the glorious days of soundtrack music, yet with a pop sensibility. Crvecoeur could be the result of the encounter between Calexico and Pascal Comelade, or Henry Mancini and The Black Heart Procession....

Live, Crvecoeur use subtlety and a range of tones and images to create a unique atmosphere - every show is accompanied by live 8mm film projections.

http://www.myspace.com/wearecrevecoeur

AMY SAWERS

Amy Sawers sounds like PJ Harvey having breakfast with Martha Wainright, Nina Persson is making the coffee, whilst Nick Cave, along with his Bad Seeds, and Jeff Buckley listen to The Band outside at an old drive in movie theatre. They are chatting about and playing their favourite country and blues guitar riffs through a sweetly distorted guitar amp.

A satisfyingly unique sound of melody driven contemporary Alt Country rock n roll. Yee Haaaa!

http://www.myspace.com/amysawers

• 4 weeks later...

Not to be missed, Id say.

London gig was a bit special I hear...

A rousing feedback-laden treat Threaded with steel guitar, their cosmic leanings follow a host of unusual sidetrips, including a terrific cover of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs Modern Romance. -Uncut

an interesting, clever and affecting albumShining Violences mood is atmospheric and ethereal. In singer Parker Noon, The Low Lows have an extraordinary secret weapon. When he emerges from the stew of noise his band are cooking up, the effect is stunning and frequently heartbreaking if the thought of a mashup between Gram Parsons and Flying Saucer Attack is appealing, this quietly intriguing record may be for you. Clash Magazine

The Cocteau Twins meet The Jesus and Mary Chain somewhere in the mid west perhapssounds like it could be the soundtrack to Wild at Heart. Subbacultcha

There's a varied line-up of instrumentation on Shining Violence, calling upon lapsteel and other such country staples as well as brass sections, all of which is put to highly effective use on the lovely 'Disappear', a distorted ballad that fuses Jesus & Mary Chain fuzz with Calexico-style composition. Elsewhere the psyched boogie woogie of 'Five Ways I Didn't Die' spells a ghostly hoedown, while 'Raining In Eva' sets a course for sheer slowcore beauty. Excellent. Boomkat

The Low Lows' brand of psychedelic Americana sounds like a Raymond Carver tale baptized in the sweat of Galaxie 500 - dirty, woozy, and beautiful. - Limewire

Live footage of Crevecouer

Myspace.com Blogs - VIDEOS.... - crvecoeur MySpace Blog

Lovely stuff and all this before The Low Lows take the satge

Two headline bands for the price of one and with added Amy Sawersness!

Lurvely

anyone of a nice big room that can sleep 6 french folk for one evening?:up:

He's learning that boy...wel apart from sorting the accommodation of course!

I have now found out that they carry sleeping bags and will happily stay overnight with non voyeuristic serial killer types... Anyone fancy putting hands across the water and welcoming some international musicians into their home. Be a cuddle in it for you from Graeme and believe me that is a rare and special treat.

New photos of an expaned to four piece Low Lows.

The Low Lows live at The Buffalo Bar 25/4/08

They are kicking up a storm on their gigs at the moment so don't miss out. Amy herself has been firing on all cylinders too and will be performing with just her electric geetar and vox, which judging by the last time I saw her will be pretty special.

The Low Lows are a very special band and make very special music and this is not something i say often or lightly. Any of you that are in two minds 'should' make the effort. If this was any other town the two out of town bands would command a 5 entry fee each. Not only that but the quiz night and open mic sessions have been moved for one week only to accommodate a special gig.

Jim

Guest bluesxman

First time I’ve seen Amy Sawyers, was impressed, I’ll ignore the fact she made the whole night run late and I’m now v. tired today….

Crevecouer were amazing, albeit heavily derivative of Ennio Morricone’s Spaghetti Western soundtrack work and early-Calexico (when they were good, a lot of tracks would have sounded at home on ‘The Black Light’), with shades of Badalamenti, Dirty Three and Black Ox Orkestar with some nice Theremin chucked in there as well, probably the best band I’ve seen in a couple of years. Look forward to having a blast of their CD the night, hope they come back this way sometime soon.

The Low Low’s were good but I think I preferred the Tunnels gig despite the better sound last night, can’t quite decide why….I think having to follow such a strong support act was always going to be tough.

All in all, nae shite ;)

You should freelance as a 'describer of bands' for posters and the like.

Wasn't Amy that made the night run late. A mixture of the Low Lows arriving very late so we couldn't start setting up the stage til after 7 and also promoters holding back the stage time by 30mins or so. Apologies if you are sleepy today...

The Low Lows were heavier last night and didn't do to many of the more tender stuff as they did at the Tunnels. Maybe a guitar issue with Parker breaking a string. Highlight of the year for me so far though...

And no more throwing pint glasses about at gigs ;)

Guest bluesxman
And no more throwing pint glasses about at gigs ;)

Aye, what was that about? The glass seemed to suddenly appear directly from the ceiling it was v. strangeIm convinced some wag had nestled one in the light fitting at some point and it fell out.was a bit bemused to find our table being denied further drinks (and allegedly the Sawyers contingent as well although they seemed to still be getting drinks) as the Iron Maiden T shirt clad power crazed bar man was adamant it had been thrown by one of our tablesnegotiating skills and common sense worked in the end though!

Aye, what was that about? The glass seemed to suddenly appear directly from the ceiling it was v. strangeIm convinced some wag had nestled one in the light fitting at some point and it fell out.was a bit bemused to find our table being denied further drinks (and allegedly the Sawyers contingent as well although they seemed to still be getting drinks) as the Iron Maiden T shirt clad power crazed bar man was adamant it had been thrown by one of our tablesnegotiating skills and common sense worked in the end though!

Yes, that all was a bit odd. The glass just seemed to appear out of nowhere.

The gig was great, I wasn't sure what Amy would be like with just an electric guitar to back her up (not an easy task), but she was really good.

Crevecouer were pretty spectacular, that's one of the most unique and enjoyable sets I've seen in a very long time. It's probably the first time I've seen a support act get an encore as well.

I only caught two songs by the Low Lows (I had a job interview this morning), but they seemed good. I'd imagine I would have really enjoyed it unless it descended into crazy astro jazz after I left.

Yes, that all was a bit odd. The glass just seemed to appear out of nowhere.

The gig was great, I wasn't sure what Amy would be like with just an electric guitar to back her up (not an easy task), but she was really good.

Crevecouer were pretty spectacular, that's one of the most unique and enjoyable sets I've seen in a very long time. It's probably the first time I've seen a support act get an encore as well.

I only caught two songs by the Low Lows (I had a job interview this morning), but they seemed good. I'd imagine I would have really enjoyed it unless it descended into crazy astro jazz after I left.

Crevecoueurour weren't really a support act. Both bands are on their own tours and we pulled them together for Aberdeen. In many ways it would seem that Creveoeur are more prolific than the The Low Lows but I don't think a line up the other way round. The Low Lows also managed to drown the increasing chatter from drop in punters...

Incidentally The Low Lows dedicated their third song 'Astro Jazz Crazy' to any punters that may have had to leave early.

Crev....(don't which of the above spellings to use) were very good. I had to make sure I wasn't just entranced with their use of less common instruments, but they had the songs to back it up. Low Lows were ok but I was a bit tired by the time they were on and their songs were a bit samey to my sleepyhead.