aberdeen-music

Internet speeds...

Hog

Not too savvy regarding broadband so please excuse my ignorance....

AOL is shit, I want to change but there is no point changing to Pipex (my preferred choice) because Im only getting around 500kbs.

I live in Danestone so I suppose Im far from the exchange.

If I move (even to Inverurie/Kemnay etc will this be even worse. Can I get better than 500kbs even if Im in a town as opposed to Aberdeen city.

Cheers

Scott

Guest Neutral

SKy broadband are good for reliability, i'm on 8meg connection and get around 950 - 1000kbps when connected to my router by ethernet

However, when connected to my wireless router by wireless - this drops to about 200kbps

If you have sky tv already go for sky broadband

Right, I checked this (thanks Neil) and my max speed is 500kbs.

Its a total bummer because my folks who like in Forres (population 10,000) have a speed of 6 mg. Doesn't make sense! Yeah, I live in the edge of Aberdeen but really it is a shit speed.

I need a fast connection because every wedding I upload is about 3 gb worth of images and as you can imagine it takes a while.

Any alternatives whatsoever apart from having to move?:down:

I need a fast connection because every wedding I upload is about 3 gb worth of images and as you can imagine it takes a while.

If it's the upload speed you need, even if you were getting 8mbit you would still have the same upload speed as you do on .5mbit, so there's nothing to be gained by moving unfortunately.

I would look at finding ways to reduce the need to upload so much data.

Right, I checked this (thanks Neil) and my max speed is 500kbs.

Its a total bummer because my folks who like in Forres (population 10,000) have a speed of 6 mg. Doesn't make sense! Yeah, I live in the edge of Aberdeen but really it is a shit speed.

Any alternatives whatsoever apart from having to move?:down:

welcom to brdge of don hog, internet has been shit here for as long as i can remember the internet. We use the denburn exchange from what i can remember and its at the point of exploding from over use,

Guest Neutral
welcom to brdge of don hog, internet has been shit here for as long as i can remember the internet. We use the denburn exchange from what i can remember and its at the point of exploding from over use,

I'd imagine in BOD they would use the balgownie exchange, and I don't think the denburn exchange is anywhere near exploding point.

Hog, lookup leased lines and SDSL or have a look at www.bethere.co.uk all offer faster upload speeds although Leased Lines and SDSL will be more expensive.

Leased Lines: If the leased line is 512k you get that up and down whereas on a 512k ADSL line you would get about 52k down and 32k up

SDSL is like ADSL but with the upload speed higher than on ADSL so 512k SDSL line would give about 52k up and 52k down

Look for smaller contention ratios

I'd imagine in BOD they would use the balgownie exchange, and I don't think the denburn exchange is anywhere near exploding point.

Hog, lookup leased lines and SDSL or have a look at www.bethere.co.uk all offer faster upload speeds although Leased Lines and SDSL will be more expensive.

Leased Lines: If the leased line is 512k you get that up and down whereas on a 512k ADSL line you would get about 52k down and 32k up

SDSL is like ADSL but with the upload speed higher than on ADSL so 512k SDSL line would give about 52k up and 52k down

Look for smaller contention ratios

haha your right balgownie not denburn sorry. but the point still stands all of the exchanges are near breaking point and cannot cope with the amount of people trying to use the internet at once, my old man works for bt unfortunately and moans about it alot.

haha your right balgownie not denburn sorry. but the point still stands all of the exchanges are near breaking point and cannot cope with the amount of people trying to use the internet at once, my old man works for bt unfortunately and moans about it alot.

Things might be getting a bit better on the 1st of April if this is anything to go by though?

Exchange Status Checker