aberdeen-music

places to stay in london

shaun

i'm heading down to london for about two weeks in summer for some work experience.

i'm going to be in a few different places around the centre of london, so i'm just looking for somewhere to stay that is central, close to any tube stations and cheap.

i'm aware of hostleworld, but i was wondering if anyone on here had good experiences with somewhere in particular.

London.gif

If you're lucky you can book Travel Lodges for 19! Even London ones. NEVER Aberdeen ones though! Worth registering on their site for updates

and if you're unlucky you'll get to a travel lodge at 11.30 after driving all fucking day and they'll have overbooked for the day and then they'll just stand there gurning at you like a fucking idiot pretending like it was a perfectly normal thing for a hotel to give your room to someone else even though you're not late. then they'll book you into a hotel(albeit a much nicer one) which is miles away on roads you don't know and give you absolutely the shittest directions anyone has ever given another human being so that it takes you an hour to get somewhere that should only have taken 15 minutes.

and if you're unlucky you'll get to a travel lodge at 11.30 after driving all fucking day and they'll have overbooked for the day and then they'll just stand there gurning at you like a fucking idiot pretending like it was a perfectly normal thing for a hotel to give your room to someone else even though you're not late. then they'll book you into a hotel(albeit a much nicer one) which is miles away on roads you don't know and give you absolutely the shittest directions anyone has ever given another human being so that it takes you an hour to get somewhere that should only have taken 15 minutes.

Did this happen to you?

All for 19?

Strand Palace Hotel is also worth remembering. Basic but OK & very central - If you search around the discount sites, you can often get a room there for less than a travelodge.

One just off Regent St is similarly budget-orientated but a bit grottier.

I remember it was pretty easy to get dead cheap rooms in guesthouses around Earls Court - Although some of them also did "hourly" rates & you were liable to find the bed screwed to the floor. Still, when needs-must.

Also worth checking Gumtree/listings mags if you are going for a couple of weeks, you may get a short-term flatshare etc.

I'd seen appartments for 50 a day (minimum stay of 90 days though!)...

sometimes, you can get reasonable rates on appartments Vs hotels, and you've got the added value of having different rooms, instead of on sprawling mess of a bedroom...define cheap in london though!