aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Lester Burnham

Bad Bad Ipods.

Initially against my better judgement I thought to myself around Christmastime, "Oh, those new nanos look nice. I figured after years of hearing Ipod horror stories that they'd probably have made a few improvements.

Fewer than three months later I have a completely shafted ipod. The top, bottom and central controls on the wheel simply won't respond to anything. The thing that confuses me is that I've taken very good care of it. It's got a little protective jacket and basically lived in my handbag wrapped in a hat. I never took it out in the rain, nor has it ever been dropped from height or had anything spilled on it.

Thankfully it's still under warranty.

Anyone else got horror stories with the newer models? I just can't believe that it broke so quickly.

I got my Ipod for Christmas in 2004 and it's only just died. Not a bad innings considering I used it pretty much every day for 3+ years. The only problem I ever had with it was the click wheel becoming somewhat unresponsive... but I guess that serves me right for taking it out in the rain!

On the hunt for a replacement now, not sure if I'll get another Ipod or go for one of those Zune thingys tho.

Nope.

I'll try resetting it and see if I get anywhere. I recently ejected it without waiting for it to disconnect properly (because it wasn't responding to my commands for it to disconnect).

I shall report back with how I get on.

Yeah mine freezes up sometimes and it just needs reset. Flick the lock switch on the top to on then quickly back to off, then hold down the Menu and the centre button at the same time for about 5 seconds, it will power down then you let go, it should show the apple logo for about 10-20 seconds while it is booting up again.

I've had a 30Gb pod for over 2 years now and I've never had any problems with it, although the battery runs out quicker than the ones in Courtney Love's vibrator.

i've had my nano for well over a year and a half now, i abuse, misuse, drop, throw, use in rain and god knows what else and i've never had a problem with it, besides the fact its sccratched to fuck.

Guest bluesxman

Weve had a 20Gb, 80Gb, mini and 2 shuffles in our household over the past few years and apart from some reset shenanigans on the mini have had no probs at all. Its probably akin to mobile phones, you sometimes just get a bad un..

ive got one of the old white ones with the wheel, 20 gb and mines died a few times, nothing a reset and a few hits doesnt solve though. Mines been dropped countless times as well, also got left out in a forest overnight one drunken night when i lost it. found it though and to date it fucks up every now and again but i always manage to get it working again. must have had it for about 3 or 4 years now so overall i think its great!

Two days ago I would have been singing my 3 and a half year old, 40g Ipod's praise, but although it still works with what is on it, as of last night it no longer updates. Still it has been in absolute constant service since I got it. I rekon I will most likely get another one.