aberdeen-music

MONOTONIX (israel) @ TRANSITION EXTREME SKATE PARK, SAT MAY 10TH

UN rights body demands Israel halt settlement activities _English_Xinhua

GENEVA, March 27 (Xinhua) -- The UN Human Rights Council passed a resolution on Thursday demanding Israel halt its settlements in the occupied Palestinian territory, including East Jerusalem, and the Golan Heights in Syria.

The resolution was passed by a vote of 46-1 during the 7th session of the UN Human Rights Council, which denounced Israel's decision on March 17 to build settlements in East Jerusalem and neighboring areas.

The resolution said the Israeli settlement activities constituted grave violations of international law and the pledges made by Israel at the Annapolis Peace Conference in the United States last November.

• 3 weeks later...

Israel Loves Mugabe

Israel Loves Mugabe- by Justin Raimondo

The US, the EU, the UN, leaders of neighboring countries all have expressed varying levels of disapproval as Mugabe's international stock has plummeted to new lows.

Yet he has always managed to retain at least one ally, through thick and thin, one that remains loyal even now, and that is the government of Israel. They have been a steady supplier of military equipment, including riot control tanks and water cannon, which has been used to suppress the democratic opposition and keep the country under his iron grip. Links between Mugabe and Mossad, Israeli's intelligence agency, go back years.

• 2 weeks later...
At least try to start some discussion or I'm going to ban you for spamming this thread with links.

Well you would expect there to be some discussion, these current news articles are just the tip of the iceberg and provide plenty of evidence of why people should be exercising their economic power by bycotting israeli exports.

Well you would expect there to be some discussion, these current news articles are just the tip of the iceberg and provide plenty of evidence of why people should be exercising their economic power by bycotting israeli exports.

I assume you boycott all their exports then?

I assume you boycott all their exports then?

Absolutely, for example my local supermarket sells packs of cut herbs grown in israel, which I refuse to buy - and not just for political reasons, it is environmentally dispicable to fly such products on a daily basis all the way from israel to the uk.

I'm sure there are people on this forum who remember avoiding buying south african avacados etc during the apartheid era.

Absolutely, for example my local supermarket sells packs of cut herbs grown in israel, which I refuse to buy - and not just for political reasons, it is environmentally dispicable to fly such products on a daily basis all the way from israel to the uk.

I'm sure there are people on this forum who remember avoiding buying south african avacados etc during the apartheid era.

I assume you also boycott US exports as well then? Following that logic.

What are you getting at?

I'm getting at that you are suggesting people should not go and see this band because of the simple fact that they are from Israel. So you are suggesting that the people of Israel are responsible for the actions of their government both past and present and should be collectively punished by the rest of the world by the use of such boycotts.

If this is the case, then as the US are Israel's strongest ally on the world stage as well as their number one supplier of military equipment (which all go some way to helping them flex their strength in the middle-east), I assume we should also boycott their exports. I imagine this would be especially so considering your previously expressed strong views on the on-going Iraq conflict of which the US takes a huge slice of the responsibility.

I also assume you are a British citizen and are of voting age. Like Israel and the US this country is a democracy, and so as you are holding Israelis to account for the actions of their government, then I assume we can hold ourselves accountable for the actions of our government. And we all know what part our country has played in all this.

If you think we should be boycotting touring Israeli musicians then following your logic we should also be boycotting US and UK musicians. Including yourself.

I'm getting at that you are suggesting people should not go and see this band because of the simple fact that they are from Israel. So you are suggesting that the people of Israel are responsible for the actions of their government

Yes that is exactly what I'm suggesting, and this is the same rationale behind the unilateral sanctions the US has imposed on Iran for pursuing its *right to develop civilian nuclear technology as a signatory of the nuclear non-prolifieration treaty*. A treaty which Israel is not a signatory of, even though they posses a massive stockpile of undeclared nuclear weapons and refuse all access to international inspectors.

I understand boycotting Israeli produce, but a band is the creative work of an individual, and I assume you have no idea of their personal political stand-point. Would you feel comfortable having your music boycotted in Iraq and a thread about your music being used as a forum to display news links to atrocities at the hands of the British?

As well-meaning as I assume your intentions are, you can't boycott art in the same way as you can a product as you are boycotting human beings, with opinions and feelings and you have no idea where they stand on the issue. It's not the same as a Nestle bar or a pair of Gap jeans.