aberdeen-music

Isle of Skye

RossP

Buying a new car next week, so i'm wanting to drive up to the Isle of Skye (never been!) to test ride it out next friday/saturday.

Well up for climbing some hills, sitting amongst some beautiful scenery, swim in wonderful lochs and sea as well as visit local pubs.

Anyone been and have any advice/must sees?

I seriously doubt you will be doing much swimming this weekend. Forecast is that you are more likley to get white than wet.

Still, this is a very good time of year to visit the island - For a start, there won't be any midgies. :)

Depends what part of the Island you are heading for & where you intend to stay?

Personally, Elgol is a favourite but if you want to go walking, Glenbrittle is probably your best bet as you can get into the heart of the Black Cullin pretty easilly, which is spectacular.

Don't take it higher than the main corries if you are unprepared/inexperienced tho. The walk-in may be steep but easy but the mountains themselves are deceptively hard & the gabro is a harsh abrasive rock.

Up in the north, Uig is a good base, with a decent little cheap campsite (also virtually midge-free in summer) & a number of good pubs within a short stagger. Also a decent greasy-spoon for breakfast at the ferry terminal.

Nearby is the Fairy Glen & the spectacular Quirrang range is a short & interesting drive over the hill.

Dunvegan area is also good but a bit more remote.

I've been twice, both times staying with my friend's family at his Gran's house in Port-Na-Long. Last time I did some fishing at Dunvegan harbour and caught some mackerel and it was a beautiful evening and probably my favourite memory of last year. I'm no expert on the island, so I'm afraid I can't be much help.

went not too long ago with the family

we decided to go for the walk up the famous Old Man of Storr, just north of Loch Leathan not too taxing and has a decent path to walk up. As long as the weather is alright there are some really spectacular views. And once you get to the top, if you feel adventurous, you can actually climb up the rock, which was pretty fun, but windy!

more about it here - The Old Man of Storr

Not sure if it was last weekend you went or this one coming, so apologies of this info is too late, but 3 Chimney's resteraunt at Dunvegan is really nice if you are feeling flush, might need to book ahead though. Sleat point in the South of the Island is a nice easy walk, 2 miles or so, no hills, perhaps too easy if you'd prefer a something even mildy challenging, but with great views of the Small Isles and one of the freshest most bracing winds I've ever experienced once you reach the point. also takes you past a really quaint cottage, that doesn't appear to have a road to it, but is very well kept and obviously lived in.