aberdeen-music

Missing girl found alive

And who buys those papers? If people want to change the way press go about their business then people not to stop so happily consuming what they produce.

I'm starting to sounds like Stripey now!

the problem is a vast majority of the population are happy to read about that shit and be uptodate with whats going on in the "real" world. As i said earlier no-one wants to read about the horrors going on around the world it makes them feel bad and people like to be happily igorant about alot of these things.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, the media can never report on everything that 'really matter', because there wouldn't be enough time for all the pain, misery and suffering that goes on every single day across the world.

Personally, I don't like the media frenzy created about one missing girl, what unnerves me the most is the sort of macabre fascination people have in following the life or death situation. That said, I can see why people do get involved - this is pain the average person can comprehend. If the papers were to print figures for how many people go missing every single day, people would stop caring. I'm not saying that is good, but it's true.

When you read that so many thousands of people have died in Iraq, for most people that'll just be a big number; a figure that you can match up with any other set of figures. It doesn't hit home that it means thousands of sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, fathers and mothers. It's the same reason the news often follows the story of one particular soldier who has died - people can relate to singular cases more easily.

To be fair, the media can never report on everything that 'really matter', because there wouldn't be enough time for all the pain, misery and suffering that goes on every single day across the world.

I agree, in that it seems the scale of competition and sheer magnitude of news-output overwhelmingly dictates content. I guess that many journalists are just more likely to re-hash a known headline-grabber than root out the world's injustices.

You know, deadlines 'n that..

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jake Wifebeater
Are the police allowed to drop napalm from their helicopters...?

Not sure chimp, what I do know is that I'm starting to think some people should be sewn up...

:up:

Am I alone in thinking that if Shannon's mother is guilty of neglecting her child, which is by no means certain, then the McCanns, who fucked off to a restaurant to booze and gorge on food while leaving their children asleep in bed, are also guilty of such an offence?

The difference is, that if she's guilty, Shannon's mother didn't just nip out for something to eat while the kids were asleep. She orchestrated the kidnapping of her own child for weeks and hid the details from the police. Apparently they got the idea from an episode of Shameless.

Am I alone in thinking that if Shannon's mother is guilty of neglecting her child, which is by no means certain, then the McCanns, who fucked off to a restaurant to booze and gorge on food while leaving their children asleep in bed, are also guilty of such an offence?

I think the Shannon's mother case is a bit more than just "neglect" - 'Shannon's mum had affair with her kidnapper' - World - smh.com.au

I can see the point. A theory put forward to me was that they intended to start a fund, akin to the Madeleine fund, in order to make some money out of the situation.

Rumours are that they were actually trying to get money from the McCann fund. Contact had been made with the fund administrators on their behalf apparently.

I bet the step-dad's uncle is well pissed off he got the raw end of the deal by being the one who was caught with Shannon. Even tried to kill himself the other day. Unlucky pal, but yer fucked.

when he goes to prison, it'll be..

"Unlucky pal, yer fucked butt"