aberdeen-music

Missing girl found alive

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The kind of people who consume trashy newspaper, tv and radio news of this nature are absolutely responsible for the fact that the newsmedia in this country is so out of touch with what it's true purpose should be, which is investigative journalism and informing people about things that matter rather than entertaining people with heartwarming non-news and parroting government press releases.

The only reason you are even aware of this girls existence is because it makes a good sensationalist story, and your original post makes it clear you enjoy the emotional buttons it's pushed. You may aswell have been talking about an episode of hollyoaks because neither have any relevance to your own life beyond giving you something to gossip about.

Unless you are a child, it is people like you who just sat back and watched Iraq being invaded.

Oh fuck off. If anyone is pushing emotional buttons, it's you.

I don't understand why you insist on doing this over and over. If you don't like a thread someone has written, don't read it. It really is that simple.

Don't you dare reduce me to a stereotype when you have no idea who I am or what I do. Your assumption that everyone other than you reads The Sun, gobbles up everything the government tells them and generally hasn't an original thought in their head is insulting.

The death of people in Iraq does not directly affect me, nor does it directly affect you. I'm disgusted to learn that statistic but the fact that I didn't know it has nothing to do with me sitting back and watching Iraq being invaded. It doesn't make me a bad person, it doesn't mean I don't care. For what it's worth, and for all the good it did, I went a quite a few anti war marches and demonstrations when it all started. I cast my vote in the election according to how I felt about the war, among other things. I did not 'just sit back'.

What it comes down to is you hijacking yet another thread to sneer at everyone else. And to be honest, all you've achieved is making yourself seem even more bitter and unpleasant. If you can honestly say that you don't give a shit about some poor child being abducted and abused in your own country, then I really pity you. You've no sympathy at all and that's really sad.

Mods - someone please close this thread now, it's obviously got out of hand and way off topic

Mods - someone please close this thread now, it's obviously got out of hand and way off topic

Actually, I disagree in this case. But if we could all refrain from using insults and try keep this a civilised debate then that would be most appreciated.

Oh fuck off. If anyone is pushing emotional buttons, it's you.

I don't understand why you insist on doing this over and over. If you don't like a thread someone has written, don't read it. It really is that simple.

What it comes down to is you hijacking yet another thread to sneer at everyone else. And to be honest, all you've achieved is making yourself seem even more bitter and unpleasant. If you can honestly say that you don't give a shit about some poor child being abducted and abused in your own country, then I really pity you. You've no sympathy at all and that's really sad.

Well, you've accused me of doing nothing about iraq but infact starting a debate about how stupid and worthless stories like this or maddie mcann are is doing something about it, nothing is ever going to change if people can't point out such things. If you want to make threads about this rubbish go and post on the daily mails website, but don't whine when civilised people take offense just because you expect them to clap along with your trashy sob story.

Actually, I disagree in this case. But if we could all refrain from using insults and try keep this a civilised debate then that would be most appreciated.

I disagree Neil, this is stripey doing his usual "I occupy the moral high ground" crap, and posting deliberatly inflamatory posts with the sole intention of pissing people off.

I, of course, am above all that...:up:

I don't really care about the missing girl or the dead Iraqis. Neither occurence affects my life in any way. But then again I have no soul.

I dont have a soul either....or rather, I dont believe in the term soul.

Although I do have the ability to care for people other than myself and be concerned about the pain and suffering inflicted on any living creature.

One day you will to...when you grow upo_O

Stripey...

Im interested as to what you would do if your 9 year old child didn't come home after school? Obviously phone the police but what else? How would you make people aware she was missing?

I fuckin hate the press an i take what is in the papers with a pinch of salt...but i think sometimes they can be used to an advantage...espiecially in child abduction cases...

Im also disgusted with what is happening in Iraq...i think anyone with half a heart would be...

:down:

What I don't understand is that kids go missing every week in this country. Why does this specific case warrant more media attention than the others?

perhaps it was simply because they suspected abduction rather than a runaway and they had hopes that she'd be alive and in the area. though clearly there was not attention on the level of maddie and some of the press has been a tad unsavoury simply due to the family being working class and poor. that's more shameful than the fact a child abduction gets more attention than continuing deaths in iraq. if the media attention helps to get a kid back home safe then it's a good thing.

the iraq thing and in fact how the media reports certain issues across the world are a whole other thread surely but i do agree that real news is often stifled in this country in favour of utter utter shit. though it'll be interesting to see the stories coming out of iraq this week on the 5th anniversary of the invasion.

Stripey...

Im interested as to what you would do if your 9 year old child didn't come home after school? Obviously phone the police but what else? How would you make people aware she was missing?

I wouldn't do this YouTube - Jam - Press Conference

and to graemec, it is rather sad that you are so affronted by someone with the gall to actually stand up for his point of view and try and get people talking about issues which actually matter. I make no apologies for confronting people who I disagree with, if you think my intention is to "piss people off" you are totally wrong.

What I don't understand is that kids go missing every week in this country. Why does this specific case warrant more media attention than the others?

To be fair, it would have been a police decision to take it to the media, in a bid to jog someone's memory. It obviously worked though.

Can someone give me a idea what this is...i cant get it at work...

I liked how the paper stated 'azzzzz the family celebrated with their beer and cheap wine' whats the point in sayin that?

The press are a fuckin joke...who cares about footballers wifes (or even football in my case) or how heather whatever her face is has gotten her grubby mits on 25mil...thats in the 'headlines' on the radio right now...wow...

They broke a family member of mine...im bitter...they are mentally fucked up because of story that was ran that was false...they got a payout because of it but money cant sort the damage thats been done...

Press = Scum that will do whatever possible to sell papers...

:down:

To be fair, it would have been a police decision to take it to the media, in a bid to jog someone's memory. It obviously worked though.

Oh, I agree completely. It's just that I can't help thinking that this is one case has the media's attention yet there are many others the media will never cover. Surely the police would want the media to report on all missing person cases?

Press = Scum that will do whatever possible to sell papers...

And who buys those papers? If people want to change the way press go about their business then people not to stop so happily consuming what they produce.

I'm starting to sounds like Stripey now!

Oh, I agree completely. It's just that I can't help thinking that this is one case has the media's attention yet there are many others the media will never cover. Surely the police would want the media to report on all missing person cases?

I would guess, after a certain period of time, the police will report all cases to the media, but then it depends on how slow a news day it is, regarding how much press they will generate.

I wouldn't do this YouTube - Jam - Press Conference

and to graemec, it is rather sad that you are so affronted by someone with the gall to actually stand up for his point of view and try and get people talking about issues which actually matter. I make no apologies for confronting people who I disagree with, if you think my intention is to "piss people off" you are totally wrong.

There's nothing wrong with a person standing up for their particular point of view and in your case Stripey, I actually agree with your opinion of the media, especially the earlier post where you use the line "dipping your bread in the grief of others". I thought that was particularly poignant.

Personally, I despise the dramatisation of crises and think that there's something quite obscene about the whole headline-friendly, catchy "Trademarking" of these issues and incidents (e.g. "9/11", "7/7", "Maddie", "Holly & Jessica" etc...).

I also find it hard to watch the Speilberg/Ridley Scott style pan, zoom & hold shots of people crying on the telly - it's manipulative & exploitative.

But that's maybe just me...

There's nothing wrong with confronting people either, but what I think "pisses people off" is your propensity for torpedoing your own well-thought out arguments with P1-level playground insults at the person. Can't you just make your point and be done with it?

Ps - was that YouTube for real? I couldn't hack it for more than 5 secs after they started warbling.

Think how happy that'd make Stripey! I guess you have to draw the line somewhere. I would have thought the local press would probably cover missing person cases more frequently than the national press.

Anyway, the girl has been found, which is a good thing. Millions of Iraqis are dead, which is a bad thing. The two have nothing to do with each other, and how people feel about a single news story is not indicative of the kind of person they are. Thankfully.

The two have nothing to do with each other, and how people feel about a single news story is not indicative of the kind of person they are.

The creation of this thread is in itself a decision made by you that reflects your priorities, and on the face of things the whole story is just a big hooray for the sentimentalist's heart-strings - prime stuff for the media; expect a thousand reflective pieces on the state of the British working class / children in poverty etc etc..

I don't deny that it's good to hear she was found. But this is a contrived sense of relief, tuned to perfection by the newsmen and a disproportionate emphasis on one very small incident. And the thing about the media, is that it's impossible to hide from; I've never read an article on Maddie or Shannon, but I seem to know the ins-and-outs of both stories as well as anyone.