aberdeen-music

Gym Membership

RossP

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wii fit is pretty good for me, as I would feel like a right fanny going to a gym. I am 12-14 and a bit squidgy around the edges. I would feel totally self conscious about going to the gym where folk might laugh at my love handles :-(

Wii fit is a good compromise as I can get some exercise and not worry about people being dicks.

Maybe when I have lost some chub and don't feel so much of a tube I might consider going to the gym.

If anyones looking for any good literature on lifting weights or building muscle, I have to recommend "Muscle" by Ian King. Really interesting and useful.

Also a tip for anyone up my neck of the woods. The Hilton hotel has a gym up at Craigiebuckler you can pretty much get in for free, nobody ever bothers asking. Been going there for 2 years with no card.

Wii fit is pretty good for me, as I would feel like a right fanny going to a gym. I am 12-14 and a bit squidgy around the edges. I would feel totally self conscious about going to the gym where folk might laugh at my love handles :-(

I wouldn't worry about this in the slightest. I go to an LA Fitness in Glasgow and there is nothing like this.

People of all shapes and sizes go to the gym at the beach. Nobody wil make fun of you for a being a bit overweight, half the people there are either trying to lose weight or keep weight off. Remember all the folk with the rock hard abs and the bulging muscles weren't born that way, they were probably a bit squidgy themselves before they started working out.

I've rarely ever seen any musclebound jocks with no necks at the Beach Gym. It seems more populated with folks doing cardio. A few lifting weights, but nothing to get self concious about.

I did however used to always end up sitting on the bike next to some guy who'd step the gear up to 12, and go twice the distance I manage to do in half an hour, in a mere 15 minutes. Then he'd go and sprint the length of Britian on the treadmill. He is absolutely mental. or just in great shape. I don't know.

I wouldn't worry about that too much. I have more than my fair share on the love handles side of things and nobody bothers me when I'm blobbing about on the cross trainer.

I find that if you go either during the day or hold off until the 'after work' brigade have buggered off, then you end being there with the rest of the love handle mob... which I find to be far more enjoyable. :)

That sounds like a fat Hip-Hop collective.

I would feel totally self conscious about going to the gym where folk might laugh at my love handles :-(

Nonsense - I don't think I've ever seen anyone getting stick from fellow gym goers, whatever their size.

After all, everyone had to start somewhere & I would guess that most were in exactly the same boat to begin with.

I needed to shift well over four stone because of all the weight that had piled-on when I was laid-up with the surgery & eating constant stodge to minimise the side effects of stomach-destroying painkillers.

Agreed. I used to go to a body building gym in the Broch (cos it was the only gym in the Broch - no treadmills or bikes or anything, just weights) and I was built like a twig back then. I found everybody there was always ready to offer encouragement and advice. I never got the piss taken out of me once as I was struggling with to bench press the smallest weights in the gym.

Agreed. I used to go to a body building gym in the Broch (cos it was the only gym in the Broch - no treadmills or bikes or anything, just weights) and I was built like a twig back then. I found everybody there was always ready to offer encouragement and advice. I never got the piss taken out of me once as I was struggling with to bench press the smallest weights in the gym.

Big Arthurs is the best gym around. it only costs a pound to get in and you get to hang out with that mad bastard wi the funcy piece van!

• 1 year later...

BMUP!

Sorry about that..,

Aye, that guy(Derek) doesn't have the van anymore :( He's a bouncer!

So, I'm away to move to newburgh, can't drive...I intend on getting the bus into town and joining a gym though, but I dunno which gym to join, after reading through the thread and looking at maps etc, I reckon either Nuffield Health(cannons) or the one at the beach would be the easiest, most convenient to get to, but can anyone tell me which of the 2 is better value for money?

I want to work the muscles mainly, do a bit of cardio in between and achieve lean muscle mass, I'd also like some cunt to set me up with a decent workout/fitness regime thing.

Are the college gym's open to public?

My girlfriends going to college this year and I also wondered if I could use the gym there rather than spending loadsa cash on a membership for myself when we could both just use that one?

So when it comes down to it, I'd like you guys to decide which gym I should join based on the factors stated above.

Thx guiz

:)

If by college gym you mean the Uni, there's Aberdeen Sports Village, near Pittodrie, which is open to the public...it opened this year as a replacement to the uni facilities and you only pay for what you use. Haven't used the new facilities myself, but obviously it's very new and I've heard it's pretty decent.

I pay 6 per month just for swimming, the pool is the old one at king's and it's not the best but I think they are planning on building one at ASV too sometime. You can't get in there whenever you want unfortunately, they have a fair few classes etc on, but it's very cheap.

You'd have to get another bus up king st from the city centre, unfortunately...as for the college, I doubt they have any public stuff, and the centres are generally closed to the public in the evenings too.

I was a member of Cannons before it changed a couple of years back, it was very plush but also very busy and very pricy (50ish)...and it's probably gone up since then. Also I spent a lot of time swimming, the pool there is tiny and always full of old people or slow bastards, there were only a couple of lanes where you could actually get a proper swim!