aberdeen-music

Gym Membership

RossP

Just looking to see if anyone has information on prices for Cannons and JJB? As they don't have price lists on their site, and I don't have the patience at the moment to sit through their "positive selling" techniques, just to find out a price.

I'm looking for off peak times i.e before 4.30pm, as I can get in before then since I finish work at 3.35pm each day.

I'm also an Aberdeen City Council employee so think that gets you a discount?

Any information is greatfully received.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im 26 a month off peak at JJB, don't think you'll beat that at Cannons. JJB has pretty much everything you need and isn't to busy at off peak times. I've found even Sat and Sun isn't to busy during the day. You should beat the rush if your going for an hour after work.

Im 26 a month off peak at JJB, don't think you'll beat that at Cannons. JJB has pretty much everything you need and isn't to busy at off peak times. I've found even Sat and Sun isn't to busy during the day. You should beat the rush if your going for an hour after work.

I understand that on off peak, as long as I get there before 4.30pm, I doesn't matter what time I leave? As I was hoping to put in a few 4pm-6pm shifts a week. Does that work?

Can you also go at the weekend on off peak?

Planning to phone them in a few days...

Guest Neutral

JJB is 26 pm off peak

Off peak means you can go from 8am to 4pm and stay until 5pm at the latest and all day from 8am to 8pm on sunday

there is no joining fee just now all you pay is for the rest of this month + next months membership

if you did it tomorrow youd pay about 40 - 15 for rest of this month + 26 for next month

Just looking to see if anyone has information on prices for Cannons and JJB? As they don't have price lists on their site, and I don't have the patience at the moment to sit through their "positive selling" techniques, just to find out a price.

I'm looking for off peak times i.e before 4.30pm, as I can get in before then since I finish work at 3.35pm each day.

I'm also an Aberdeen City Council employee so think that gets you a discount?

Any information is greatfully received.

I've worked for both City and Shire councils, and I'm fairly sure that if you look on the Intranet sites (is it still The Zone for the City Council?) it will tell you if you can get a discount and where. I know there is definitely a discount at City Council operated gyms, so they may well not offer one for private gyms, but the one down at the beach isn't too bad, if cheapness is what you're looking for, but it was fairly busy when I went after work.

i've used the gym at the patio hotel and it's pretty good, just throwing that out there.

It is an excellent gym because it's so quiet compared to everywhere else, yet still has a decent range and number of machines. Also, it is definitely not a poser's gym. I've heard it is more expensive than JJB, but less so than Canons. I was there at 4pm yesterday and there were 5 people in the whole place. Student peak membership is 37 pm. I don't know about full-price off-peak costs, but it can't be much more than that. There is also a swimming pool, sauna, steam room etc and your membership also entitles you to free participation in the classes they offer. Hope that helps.

It is an excellent gym because it's so quiet compared to everywhere else, yet still has a decent range and number of machines. Also, it is definitely not a poser's gym. I've heard it is more expensive than JJB, but less so than Canons. I was there at 4pm yesterday and there were 5 people in the whole place. Student peak membership is 37 pm. I don't know about full-price off-peak costs, but it can't be much more than that. There is also a swimming pool, sauna, steam room etc and your membership also entitles you to free participation in the classes they offer. Hope that helps.

i got a block of 10 sessions for my birthday and i've used a few of them. like you say, decent machines and the place is pretty quiet. once my block runs out i'd definitely consider joining.

the problem with rgu is that even with membership you have to pay a usage fee every time you go there. which blows.

Is this actually true? I know it looks like that on their pricing page but I was pretty sure from the stuff they've sent us RGU staff that this wasn't the case.

One of these days I'll actually join the thing and find out.

Actually reading the RGU:Sport site it might be true.

The student and staff fees page says:

Membership offers access to our state-of-the-art fitness area, 25m swimming pool and exercise classes with no usage fee, as well as reduced hire of the multi-activity sports hall and climbing zones.

While the community one has the bit in bold conspicuous by it's absence.

Ah well, it's main purpose is to provide the facilities to the students not compete with David Lloyd's across the road.

JJB isn't anywhere near full off peak hours, you can get on any machine and usually theres at least one bench free if your using free weights, i go 4/5 times a week and its never been busy enough to stop my workout.

I did find it a pain in the ass when i used to work onshore and go after work, 6pm, it was far to busy then, found there were far more women (and men ;) ) standing about or walking at a snails pace on machines talking to their mates. You know the type, the ones that complain they just can't shift the weight even tho they go to the gym 4 times a week. Try doing something you fat bitch!! *cough* sorry :gringo:

Are they allowed to do that? I would've thought getting a membership at RGU gym would be to use their equipment so a usage fee would kind of contradict the point of a membership.

you get a reduced usage fee and frankly they can do whatever they want i guess, no ones forced to sign up for membership.

I've had a very positive experience so far with my peak student JJB membership at 32/month. I've never had to wait more than a minute for anything I've needed to go on and that's even when I've gone after work at half five. After 7pm and it gets even quieter. Lots of people with varying ability so no embarrassment factor either. Never tried to join a class though so don't know what they're like busy-ness wise. They have closed peak membership at the moment though but off-peak is still open. I wish I could go off-peak, although I do go on Saturday and Sunday afternoons and it's quiet.

• 11 months later...

Resurrecting a dead thread I know, but I just wondered if anyone had any experience with the David Lloyd gym in Garthdee? Been looking to get back to the gym for a while - used to go to the Aberdeen uni one but I've moved back across town and it's too far away and a pain to get to in rush hour - and I really want something with a personal trainer service so I can get some sort of programme devised.

Anyone know what their prices/facillities are like?

I'd phone them up but I've the slight technical hitch in that I'm on the other side of the world in Australia until the start of March!

I just wondered if anyone had any experience with the David Lloyd gym in Garthdee?

I'm there - They are dearer than other gyms but I find it worthwile. Partly because the place is very convenient for my daily round & I have a medical condition that is greatly helped by very regular excercise. Used to use the Beach gym near my work but after having to lay-up for a couple of years whilst I got my finances back under control after a break-up (cycled instead), I found that gym had gone up in price greatly but the rise was not reflected in any investment & I reckoned that my one real personal luxury was worth paying a bit extra for. :)

Anyway, it has:

Excellent free weight section.

Good range of weights machines spread across three areas of different types

Good variety of CV stuff - excercise bikes, recliners, cross trainers, rowing & running machines. Not many steppers (& I'm not fond of half of them anyway) & one or two oddments like the windlass machines. You can always find something, even when the place is mobbed.

Big spinning section, with regular classes/instructor-led sessions. Similarly a heap of those Powerplate things. Which seem popular enough.

Plenty instructors for classes & individual - Standard seems good & a pleasant bunch. Huge board listing all the different classes & two good areas off the main gym.

Nice pool & spa area plus the changing rooms/showers are good.

They take their maintenance pretty seriously & you seldom see anything out of action for very long.

I'm paying 64 a month for the full/peak time gym membership, which is full-whack. Off-peak membership was quite a bit cheaper if your routine allows & there were various discounts through employers/banks & the like - Ask, they have a list I Don't do the raquets thing, which about doubled everything.

Okay, JJB is turbo busy.

David Lloyd is meant to be really good but quite expensive.

Cannons, or now Nuffield Health, was okay. However, the staff were really quite rude when I went for my tour and free trial. It is more expensive than David Lloyd due to location but they do have parking. Cannons/Nuffield Health do also offer a corporate discount to NHS employees though Rach so might be worth looking at it for that bit of discount.

I'm told that Patio is really really good and quite quiet x x x

I understand that on off peak, as long as I get there before 4.30pm, I doesn't matter what time I leave? As I was hoping to put in a few 4pm-6pm shifts a week. Does that work?

Can you also go at the weekend on off peak?

Planning to phone them in a few days...

JJB says they like off peak members to be out by half 5 but iv been in there till half 6 - 7 before and they've never said anything also JJB off peak includes 8 til 8 sat and sun