aberdeen-music

amazing breakthru from celemony

Stripey

' date=' post: 459074"']that minor to major to spanish to exotic scale thing is impressive.

probably the best tool for auto-tuning dodgy vocals too i'd imagine?

Yeah their existing plugin which has been out a while is really good at autotuning, or for just generally quite transparent adjustments of pitch and timing for vocals and monophonic pieces.

I would take the promo video with a pinch of salt really because they've been able to choose source material which will give the best results etc, it will be interesting to see how it works in real situations on instruments of various tiimbres when it comes out later this year.

I would take the promo video with a pinch of salt really because they've been able to choose source material which will give the best results etc, it will be interesting to see how it works in real situations on instruments of various timbres when it comes out later this year.

I did have my doubts about that. I can maybe see it working with such clearly defined and 'separable' tones, but surely there's going to be a load of sounds that will be blended too closely and will just never sound natural at all.

Maybe I'm too much of a hippy, but I still think it makes a difference if you're actually hearing someone play something, rather than a computer recreating a conglomerate version of a sound created by someone playing something. It's like the difference between looking at a Rembrandt canvas and looking at an arrangement of pixels taken from a Rembrandt...

I did have my doubts about that. I can maybe see it working with such clearly defined and 'separable' tones, but surely there's going to be a load of sounds that will be blended too closely and will just never sound natural at all.

The current monophonic plugin does actually work a lot better in practice than you might imagine.

I reckon this would be really useful in a studio setting for working on solo'd parts. If you don't like the idea of using the computer modified result, it does actually show you the changes in musical notation at the same time, so it seems ideal for tweaking things outside of expensive studio/session musician time...get em to play and rerecord the modified version later on etc.

Definately sounds like a big step forward. It has many ways where it can be used creatively to do things that 'live' musicians perhaps could not do and great for solo musicians.

However, I think it will be used largely to help talentless nobodies i.e pop stars etc. to be able to sell a product in less time using less skill.

Imagine the next McFly who perhaps can not play instruments very well. Within very few takes they should be able to get something that with an engineer with great editing skills can make in time and in tune.

I am maybe out of date but I think autotune or melodyne are not necessary and should only be used sparingly to correct minor notes that are out of tune in a take that would otherwise be spot on. It is however used as a way to get talentless nobodies to sing in tune.

I am maybe out of date but I think autotune or melodyne are not necessary and should only be used sparingly to correct minor notes that are out of tune in a take that would otherwise be spot on. It is however used as a way to get talentless nobodies to sing in tune..

Lol...quite a deal of presumption thrown in there?? I don't know how many record companies will be rounding up the talentless nobodies due to this..

Can personally certainly see a lot of potential for getting pretty creative with it beyond merely fine-tuning the odd vocal - I often find myself transposing sections of audio in a really crude way so I can picture myself having use for this software and really doing something more than just replicating and perfecting acoustic instruments (though I'm sure it's well out of my price range).

Is this the end of REAL musicianship?

It's a great advancement but this could be the death of great musicianship. Lazy playing/singing could be washed away with Melodyne.

Any links to the technical workings of this program? I mean i get what it does but it comes across like a magic trick? One minute you've got your acoustic guitar and bam its split into notes and you can edit it. How does it do this?

Lol...quite a deal of presumption thrown in there?? I don't know how many record companies will be rounding up the talentless nobodies due to this..

Can personally certainly see a lot of potential for getting pretty creative with it beyond merely fine-tuning the odd vocal - I often find myself transposing sections of audio in a really crude way so I can picture myself having use for this software and really doing something more than just replicating and perfecting acoustic instruments (though I'm sure it's well out of my price range).

Yea this is a good point, sometimes you don't want perfect timestretching or pitch shifting, I can see this being quite useful just for mashing up sound in a different way aside from orthodox studio uses.

It's a great advancement but this could be the death of great musicianship. Lazy playing/singing could be washed away with Melodyne.

Any links to the technical workings of this program? I mean i get what it does but it comes across like a magic trick? One minute you've got your acoustic guitar and bam its split into notes and you can edit it. How does it do this?

I don't really think it will mean the death of musicianship, the real use for things like this is minor corrections, as they say in the video it might mean you don't have to scrap a whole take because 1 player makes a tiny mistake. I'm sure even the most accomplished of musicians don't perform 100% perfectly every time and although some people see charm in "perfectly flawed" recordings, a decent producer will be able to make a judgement about the difference between a "good" and a "bad" mistake.

... a decent producer will be able to make a judgement about the difference between a "good" and a "bad" mistake.

And a good producer will be able to recognize the ability of the musicians also. I fear that programs like this could be used to make the mediocre sound acceptable. I do agree that minor adjustments are useful but it takes away from capturing the realness of what the band/artist is and can do.

Should you autotune a singer if they are "pitchy" or out of tune?

And a good producer will be able to recognize the ability of the musicians also. I fear that programs like this could be used to make the mediocre sound acceptable. I do agree that minor adjustments are useful but it takes away from capturing the realness of what the band/artist is and can do.

Should you autotune a singer if they are "pitchy" or out of tune?

Yeah it is a matter of common sense, I wouldn't put a vocal into perfect pitch if it meant losing some essential character of the perfomance. I would be more aggressive with it if it was clashing with the harmonic character of the rest of the piece though.

It varies through the genres. It depends on the song being produced. If it were a money making pop/dance venture then decorating a turd is what must be done unless their talented. But as for true grit music the emphasis on perfecting your art, what ever it maybe, is essential to keeping music real. Undiluted and free from mediocracy. The cream will rise but not with trickery.

I just think that people shouldnt be fooled into thinking an artist or band is ace just because they've had the Big Fix Button treatment. Compensating for a room is one thing but doctoring the notes/pitches you play is... ... in religious terms, blasphemy. Or in Torry terms "pure wide min!!!"

I also dislike the idea of replacing great musicianship. However I think that, on the whole, decent producers look for quality at every stage of the mix, and wouldn't dream of working with lazy or inept musicians in the first place, particularly if striving for perfection (which using melodyne would imply).

I just hope that "decent producers" boycott this kind of program. Or at least put a sticker with Antares Autotune 4 or Melodyne written on it. Restore some ethics in to the system

To be quite honest, this is absolutely the kind of software producers do and will have in their armoury of tools. It should encourage the talentless kids to try a bit harder, lest they have to admit to their mates that the producer had to "fix" their shite performance.

I totally don't buy the arguments that these kinds of tools lead to sterilisation of music or are somehow "cheating". For example, a guitarist might use an EQ because his raw guitar tone is flawed, is that cheating because he is using a technological device to alter the nature of the sound? Using a reverb pedal creates a false reality in the same sense, is that wrong?

Going down that path, is the raw acoustic performance some kind of untouchable notion of "perfection"? This argument is akin to suggesting that cave painting is the only true visual artform, and all this fancy shit like brushes, synthetic pigments and mediums, lithography are the tools of the devil and merely debase the prisitine beauty of some neanderthal slapping an ochre stained hand onto the wall of his cave.

I just hope that "decent producers" boycott this kind of program. Or at least put a sticker with Antares Autotune 4 or Melodyne written on it. Restore some ethics in to the system

Really? I mean i get where you're coming from, however, i feel that yes this could be used by producers as a quick way to make popular music on the cheap. By using not very talented individuals and manipulating the sound post recording.

However, it could also be used by producers to speed up the recording process in order to reduce studio time and the resulting cost. This would in turn help out self financing bands as they could get more output from less time, hence reduce the cost to produce D.I.Y. I mean what's the real difference between re-recording an individual bass part over and over again and simply manipulating the off notes on a one-take track. Some people just don't perform well in the studio, this programme cuts out the need for maticulous re-records.

I dunno, just my opinion but as a musician I would love this. Given the choice between not using it and spending a weekend getting max 4 tracks done and using it then getting 8. I'd take the latter, maybe that's just cause I'm tight though!

Cheers.