aberdeen-music

Urban Exploration

*Amy*

I've got loads of photos of my old work at Blairs College.

Freaky place!

I'll have to post them up.

I remember going in there with my dad when I was little because stuff was being stored in there for some charity he was involved in. I remember finding it pretty freaky, but the pictures on that sight aren't so eerie.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Someone also mentioned The Tivoli. It's not exactly "urban exploration" as it was open doors day. However, if you're wanting a nosey I took these photos of it and the Masonic Temple (Crown Street) in 2006

Tivoli Theatre & Masonic Temple (Aberdeen open doors days) - Sept 9th - a photoset on Flickr

I wish I took photos last year as we ended up investigating the dead bassment area where we found and incredible cafe type thing. There is also a further bassment level which is apparently flooded. I plan to return again this open day (with a torch this time).

Doors Open Day, of course. Every year I intend to participate, and every year I balls it up. Maybe a group of users on here should make a point of going this year, so we can geek out to our hearts' content.

:up:

I think it's shut anyway?

I'm disappointed that the Colour Box is closing...I popped in today, with the intention of videoing the inside, but I chickened out.

It's never really going to close, they have to sell all their crap first. Ten years from now the closing down sale sign will still be up and there will stlll be a few dodgy figurines and a popcorn maker in the window.

After seeing the photographs of the toilets at Union Terrace, I went down there to have a look (not thinking I'd get in at all, cause they'd be locked.) I was photographing a wall and a gardener/caretaker/cleaner man came up to me and asked if I'd like to photograph the Victorian toilets.

I had seen a thing on television the night before about a man who hated women and went around whacking them on the head with a hammer, but I ignored the small possibility of being whacked and went to photograph the toilets anyway...

They were a bit run down and smelt of damp, but they were still cool.

Heh, some of the photographs are on my flickr if anyone wants to look, in the 'Union Terrace Gardens and Victorian Toilets' set - Flickr: Photos from .Rebecca.

I want to go into the old textile mill and take some photographs, but I'm too scared to break in.

Also the Tivoli.

Edit - oh and also the old Aberdeen College building on Holburn Street, where the Talisman building now stands. Rumour has it that it was just abandoned with all the stuff still inside it, like the Mary Celeste or something. I jumped the fence to go and have a lookie once but it was all boarded up and I was too much of a pussy to break in in case anything fell on me or I got hurt (it was closed due to severe structural defects) and nobody knew where I was.

The Tivoli has its own website - Aberdeen Tivoli Theatre Website: Home Page

The college - That was more or less what happened. I was in an evening class on I think the 10th floor on that last night when a policeman stuck his head round the door & advised us to leave promptly! The building was sealed straight after.

I was also working for the education dept at the time & about a month or so later we were told that the building was going to be opened for a day to let the staff get any papers & property out of the place. After that, the clarks of works were going to be on hand to see what if any fittings could be redistributed amongst the schools. We were straight in there & got dibs on a load of new desks, blackboards & other stuff. About the only rule was that it didn't need much effort to remove.

After that, the place was sealed again & yes, I think a lot was still left inside. Which seemed pretty criminal as schools were crying-out for refurbishment at the time & the college had not long undergone a full one itself.

Photos of many former cinemas here:

Scotland's Cinemas - Aberdeen Cinemas

There's an even higher quality bog under the Castlegate that you just walked down into from pavement level but they bricked it up years ago with everything left intact.

I remember being told that the tiling they had in ICI when it first opened had been salvaged from the Castlegate bogs, so there may be some dismantling.

Mind you, several other victorian city bogs were razed around the same time, so it could have been from one of them?

There is another disused one down in the Green, at the bottom of the Virgin/Zavvi/former Boots building. Again, sealed-up & left.

An application for a bar/club in the former Union Terrace bogs was turned down early last year. Apparently they are actually on Union St & the no-more new licences on the street rule applied.

An application for a bar/club in the former Union Terrace bogs was turned down early last year. Apparently they are actually on Union St & the no-more new licences on the street rule applied.

It would be a cool place for a bar/club, but I guess they'd have to rip everything out which would be a bit sad.

The cleaner/caretaker/gardener guy who let me into the toilets was saying about someone wanting to turn it into a cafe, and they wanted to keep the urinals as a feature...

The place is crying-out for some sort of reuse like that & personally, I'd guess it will only be a matter of time before the "right" application is made.

I had also wondered if it featured in the proposal for a new arts venue on Union Terrace? It would seem a blinding oversight if it did not?

Old bogs can be salvaged & even become a tourist attraction - The Rothesay ones were restored in the 90s to much acclaim:

The Urinals of Rothesay, Isle of Bute

The Victorian Toilets, Rothesay, Isle of Bute.

If you take a wander round the perimiter, you will spot a glaringly obvious entry point. ;)

I reckon it would be no bother for two folk with just a pushie-up.

Seriously tho, if you are going in anywhere derelict, don't go alone. Or at very least, have an outside contact & a prearranged report-in schedule/exit time.

• 2 months later...
Guest Neutral
Wow, this is pretty interesting and some of those photos are absolutely incredible. I'd love to have a look around some of these places, but isnt breaking into them still illegal? OR wont most of them be full of junkies and whatnot?

You don't break in, if it is open it is open, if you have to break a lock don't do it, if you can get in without causing damage do it

Guest Neutral
Some really cool places.

Quite fancy photographing some of them. Is there not an abandoned hospital in Kingseat...?

Unfortunately kingseat hospital is now a housing estate, it was a great place to explore and still had records lying around and coke in the vending machines, unfortunately i was too young to realise that it would be good to take photos