aberdeen-music

[GIG] Triptych: Magik Markers + Human Bell + The Kitchen Cynics @ The Tunnels

chilli

Am I to understand that the Magik Markers monopolised the available soundcheck time?

I believe they turned up 2 hours late, then the drummer insisted on using his own full drum kit which meant partially taking apart and moving the human bells entire kit, so that the MM's could assemble theirs... he took aaageessss!!! :down:

I felt sorry for Mike, he seemed so stressed!

Mic up a cement mixer and a seagull crying and put it through a distorted amp and then play the drums along to it and you'll achieve the same sound. :up:

Faust do stuff like that, never stopped them becoming seminal, influential etc

HM, yes I was stressed because of the fucking shit b4 doors, but a few factors should be taken into consideration:-

both HB & MM were playing Nottingham the night b4 & travelled up

on Friday arriving late & 4 out the 5 playing were TOUR ILL with various bugs & @ one point I was told MM maybe wouldn't play

& wanted to go to their hotel instead, having cajoled them into not doing so, they decided they would do a sound check & after not doing so the night b4, hence the overrun & the Cynics not getting one. Also many of the delays were caused by HB techie problems because of knackered European to UK plugs (thanks Mark).

At the end of the day I would rather put on something that causes discussion, derision, devision, blatant attacks or glorious comments, than put on something that was NICE & instanly forgettable.........

I remember when Josephine Foster played with Tarpus Tula (David Keenan & his girlfriend) & that caused a storm of division & outcry. At least is got a reaction!!!!!!!!!!!

Judging the messages above this is a similar type event & loads of people I spoke to loved the show & some didn't (mainly on here)

All i an do is apologise to those who felt shortchanged & especially to the members of The Kitchen Cynics Orchestra (Alan was emailed on Sat morning) for the shortfall of our usually decent standards of event promotion...............

Mike

I enjoyed all three bands, but I left feeling a bit short-changed because I knew Magik Markers had a lot more to offer. They should have played a longer, more focused set, what they gave us seemed like a warm-up.

The night would have worked better if the bill had been turned upside-down, so we could have had a nice noisy start with the MM's, and the Kitchen Cynics could have spread their wings at the end of the night. No offence to the DJ who was doing the clubnight afterwards, but I felt the 11pm curfew put a damper on proceedings and all the bands should have had more time to do their thing.

I think the 11pm curfew does hurt the gig in terms of flexibility, organisation and freedom of expression - but those are the rules laid down by The Tunnels and we have to accept that.

I think the gig could have been better if MM had time to carry on. They certainly wanted to go on for longer...

Personally, I didn't overly enjoy the MM set because, as Dave mentioned, I thought they had more to give (and they gave a bit more in Glasgow on Saturday, albeit with similar time restrictions...)

well i enjoyed all acts, unfortunately i missed most of the Kitchen Cynics, catching only the last 10-15 mins, but what i did see was jolly good. Human Bell were alot "rockier" than i expected and all the better for it. The Magik Markers i thought were sublime, everything i hoped for and more, though i can understand why some folk thought they were shite.

All in all a great night, thanks IMP :up:

What did the Magik Markers set consist of? Any songs from 'Boss' ? ETC

It consisted of a Mic-ed up cement mixer, a seagull crying and all put through a distorted amp and then drums played along to it.

oh, and a few songs from Boss.

well, i'll agree to disagree with some of the punters that disliked them - i went away happy.

To the guys from IMP:

Don't get me wrong, you lot make an astonishing effort every time to put alternative, innovative music on in this fair city. It's utterly commendable, and it is indeed, as Mike said, far better to have bills that provoke debate and are memorable than bills that don't and are not. :up:

I just thought the Magik Markers were utter shite and it doesn't sound like they were particularly nice people, either.

Touring, headline bands being late for soundcheck/taking a lot of time is just one of those things that happens, it's happened to me and I've made it happen also. All it takes is for one thing to go wrong and your time schedule is fucked for the day.

Aye, for sure, but there are ways to make up for lost time, especially when you know there is an 11pm curfew, setting up a completely different drum kit is not one of em. o_O

Anyway, the night went ahead and everyone played so it doesn't really matter now. 8-)

I just thought the Magik Markers were utter shite and it doesn't sound like they were particularly nice people, either.

I'm happy for you not to like or enjoy them but to call anything utter shite is much more dangerous, subjective and lazy. MM are a noise band, I though they made a good job of making a noise and I enjoyed watching them do so. Not shite.

I'm happy for you not to like or enjoy them but to call anything utter shite is much more dangerous, subjective and lazy. MM are a noise band, I though they made a good job of making a noise and I enjoyed watching them do so. Not shite.

Pretty accurate assessment, in my opinion.

They made noise. I was expecting it. It wasn't entirely to my taste, mind you. But I enjoyed the performance aspect of it all.

Both Elisa and Pete were fine with me, so no complaints whatsoever on a personal level.