aberdeen-music

straight pride

Stripey

has anyone bothered to log in to said facebook page and see what it's all about?

say what you like about stripey- he does post a lot of interesting stuff, and stimulates a lot of debate, which is a good thing chaps.

anyway, i'd like to dump an anecdote that's been burning a hole in my pocket- vaugely related to the pc/non-pc debate, maybe someone would find it interesting.

i worked at a shop in altens, a cash and carry.

The boss was a lesbian,

i cant remember the exact ciscumstances, but the boss was doing the rounds motivating her troops one day, she had somehow got a bee in her bonnet about how certain ethnic minorities were being refered to by the staff.

anyway to cut a long story short we were instructed that the term "black" was a no-no, or to use her phrase "totally unacceptable", she demanded we used the term "coloured". there was to be no deviation from this procedure, and if anyone was caught using the banned phraseology disciplinary action would be taken.

i knew i was fighting an up hill battle, but i did go and visit her in her office and made it clear she was an idiot, but she had no grasp of history- i even mentioned the civil rights movement in the states....

i got a written warning for that.

actually it might have been for criticising the recorded out put of KD Lang in the canteen in her earshot.

this whole debate is silly.

Scottish folk are usually portrayed as "tight", it's harmless fun.

I was once called "jockanese" by a black cockney in Drakes, i thought it was funny, he got all shirty when i mentioned my theory that football spread aids.....

yeah.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

winner of the moral highground

*opens mouth to say something, waits a moment to consider the ensuing nonsense and days of idiotic posting which results in petty insults and the insinuation that someone's reply was not read in its entirity but if they were to kindly return and reread the argument then surely they would be won over by it's persuasiveness, realises it's really not worth going over the same shit yet again and closes his mouth and gets the hell out of this thread*

thats middle age, suddenly it just hits you. you're favourite delay pedal stops working and somehow you dont care, you start playing acoustic guitar and take an interest in the cryptic crossword in the Press and Journal.

aint' it a shame.

i'm getting like that myself, i'd rather crack out the dyson and get some serious hoovering done that see a band, or listen to a cd, or talk about music nowadays.

Guest Neutral

With regards to religion - I dont mind people being whichever religion they are as long as they do not attempt to force it on others and dont try to tell me your "religion" is a "race"

With regards to foreigners - I don't mind if you speak your own language as long as you speak English whilst the majority around you are English speakers

With regards to gays - I don't mind if you act like a normal couple, I dont even mind if you act extremelly camp just dont try to come onto me or pretend im gay after i have told you otherwise, gay clubs do promote segregation as do pubs catering to poles(crows nest) in some cases this can be a good thing, gay clubs because it can act as a safer more comfortable atmosphere in todays (quite often) gay hating society

With regards to political correctness - i take the physical punishment for what i say, if i call someone a retard and they want to take it out on me fair enough likewise for nigger, paki, slag and beyond, however freedom of the media does exist and i should be allowed to post anything but threatening/worrying language without risk of censorship

and Alkaline if you can't come up with any way of attacking someones post without reverting to "but your sentence structure is wrong" you should perhaphs not.

has anyone bothered to log in to said facebook page and see what it's all about?

Facebook | Second Annual Straight Pride Week

As has been established in this thread, multiculturalism is a politcal buzzword essentially contrived for the morons who hold ill-founded prejudices based on skin colour etc, so your 'not favouring anyone' is basically a 'let's dilute the specific and all its wonderful uniqueness down to one general, shitty, all-encompassing grey, then we'll be too comprehensively mediocre to be worth complaining about'. Let Asians have a station; you're bombarded by 'white culture' every time you buy a cd, read a book, inadvertently watch a commercial...and if Radio 1/2/3/4 aren't 'white' then I don't know what is..

Yes, I agree to let Asians have their radio station. I haven't indicated to the contrary once, so why say that? I have absolutely no probelm whatsoever with the Asian Network whatsoever. Just try making a White Network and see those complaints roll in. That's my point. No problem with the Asian radio station. Or black stataion. Or Japanese. Or Polish. etc.

I'm nae willing to get this deep into it. Failing is favourable to mediocracy in my book, junior.

Just try making a White Network and see those complaints roll in. .

My point is that the major broadcasters in this country are essentially 'white' anyway, so a radio station dedicated to whitey could only suggest sinister, exclusory motives. White culture is all around you; your inability to notice it merely attests to its prevalence.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Haha, bad experience?

It's possible, gay guys have hit on a few mates of mine over the years.

If they don't take no for an answer, you're perfectly within your rights to use violence. It's no different to getting slapped by a woman so equality cuts both ways...

:up:

If they don't take no for an answer, you're perfectly within your rights to use violence. It's no different to getting slapped by a woman so equality cuts both ways...

It's happened to me on a number of occasions, it's just the way he worded it like it was the worst thing that could possibly happen in the world! I've always found it funny, gives most moronic men a taste of what it's like to be a woman in a club surrounded by persistent straight men.

I think a lot of straight men have it in there head that women are delighted to be chatted up in clubs and that they should feel priviledged which is not the reality. I think all straight men should have to experience unwanted attention from gay men at least once, it would improve the levels of male hegemony in clubs no end!

Guest Neutral
Was shut last time I drove past, has it gone out of business again?

They should have left the "Most talked about food in town" sign up.

I think its still strung up at the back

For some reason, I'm reminded of an ad for a Jean Claude Van Damme film a while back. It had a clip of him kicking someone's arse, while the commentator exclaimed 'DON'T QUESTION HIS MASCULINITY!' (the offence which resulted in said arse kicking, you see).

Assuming that's true, and you obviously know better than I do, it's still neither here nor there.

I'm guessing, but it seem pretty likely considering Aberdeen is low on ethnic diversity.

I'm not sure what my point was :p but I think the purpose of gay bars or anything which caters to a minority isn't to exclude anyone, it's to make that that minority are more comfortable so they don't *feel* like a minority. Anyone is welcome in Foundation, just as they're welcome in Moshulu or...*struggles to think of a music-of-black-origin club/clubnight* but the point of them being there is to cater for a niche market. And seeing as the majority of clubnights in Aberdeen cater for traditionally white music tastes it seems a bit churlish to be complaining about the few nights which don't.

That was a very convoluted reply. I dunno what I'm getting at really...

I think all straight men should have to experience unwanted attention from gay men at least once, it would improve the levels of male hegemony in clubs no end!

You're right, I get chatted up by girls all the time (and used to by guys when I went to Joy on a regular basis) and it's fucking irritating.

People who go out to clubs with the intention of getting laid should be herded up in places like liquid, so they rest of us in it for the music can enjoy it in peace.

People who go out to clubs with the intention of getting laid should be herded up in places like liquid, so they rest of us in it for the music can enjoy it in peace.

So you can't enjoy decent music and go home for a scut then? unless ofcourse you go to wherever it is that plays good music at the start of the night and then leg it to liquid at quarter to 3 to rustle up some smokin slags.

that's actually a pretty good idea and people should not be frowned upon for doing so.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
For some reason, I'm reminded of an ad for a Jean Claude Van Damme film a while back. It had a clip of him kicking someone's arse, while the commentator exclaimed 'DON'T QUESTION HIS MASCULINITY!' (the offence which resulted in said arse kicking, you see).

Then you've missed the point. Nobody bats an eyelid when a woman slaps a guy who doesn't take no for an answer, so it's no different if a gay guy gets a hiding for not taking no for an answer. It's not rocket science...

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I'm guessing, but it seem pretty likely considering Aberdeen is low on ethnic diversity.

I'm not sure what my point was :p but I think the purpose of gay bars or anything which caters to a minority isn't to exclude anyone, it's to make that that minority are more comfortable so they don't *feel* like a minority. Anyone is welcome in Foundation, just as they're welcome in Moshulu or...*struggles to think of a music-of-black-origin club/clubnight* but the point of them being there is to cater for a niche market. And seeing as the majority of clubnights in Aberdeen cater for traditionally white music tastes it seems a bit churlish to be complaining about the few nights which don't.

That was a very convoluted reply. I dunno what I'm getting at really...

I'm not sure what you're getting at either, but I'll have a go at a reply anyway!

If there's one thing guaranteed to reinforce a sense of being in a minority, it's going to a gay club. The very fact it's a gay club is in itself reinforcing it, you say yourself it's a niche market, which it is. Moshulu's one of the very few clubs I dare set foot in, the rest of them play even shittier music but I don't feel like an oppressed minority because nowhere caters for my taste in music. It comes with the territory because very few people share my taste in noise anyway, and I can live with that no problem. Just because you're in a minority in one aspect of life, doesn't mean you have to make it your entire identity.