aberdeen-music

[GIG] The Twilight Sad / Her Name Is Calla / Kartta

Guest idol_wild

Guest idol_wild

I can't believe there's nothing already up about this. So here goes.

The Twilight Sad

www.myspace.com/thetwilightsad

The finest band in Scotland right now? Probably. Having toured the UK, mainland Europe, and the States, The Twilight Sad return for their fourth appearance in Aberdeen. If you like gigantic, epic, melancholic pop soundscapes then you'll love The Twilight Sad.

Her Name Is Calla

www.myspace.com/hernameiscalla

Signed to Leeds-based label Gizeh (owned by Glissando's Richard Knox), Her Name Is Calla deal in brooding, intense, post-rock influenced pop songs. They're going to be pretty big, I suspect.

Kartta

www.myspace.com/karttamusic

Aberdeen band who like handclaps as much as they do effects pedals. It's just pop music, albeit a bit noisey and skewed. But that's a good thing, right?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest idol_wild

Good poster.

Kartta will likely be on pretty sharp; so anyone wishing to see and hear their triumph-pop musings ought to arrive very soon after doors open.

Or not ;)

i'm looking forward to this gig, the twilight sad have made one of my favourite records of the past few years and their live interpretation of it pleases me also.

i was at the iliketrains gig. i remember thoroughly enjoying her name is calla, either because i thought their music was really good or because i thought iliketrains were rubbish. or both, most likely. i'll find out for sure on saturday.

and i hope dave does not get away from work on time. this is because i am not going to get away from my work on time and i want to see kartta. bear in mind that being late has never gone out of fashion.

I like Her Name Is Calla, and Kartta I love, so ill probably head down just to see them.

But words cannot describe my hatred for Twilight Sad. I saw them with Idlewild and thought mostof their songs to be not epic, but self indulgent, overly-long and boring, and the way the singer twitches and closes his eyes and sings away from the mic irritates the fuck out of me. I actually found myself getting quie wound up they wouldn't leave the stage,specially as the closer had about 5 minutes of just distortion at the end. If they shortened their songs and didn't come off so pretentious I may grow to tolerate them.

I know lots of you like them though, so, fair play, everyones different...

I like Her Name Is Calla, and Kartta I love, so ill probably head down just to see them.

But words cannot describe my hatred for Twilight Sad. I saw them with Idlewild and thought mostof their songs to be not epic, but self indulgent, overly-long and boring, and the way the singer twitches and closes his eyes and sings away from the mic irritates the fuck out of me. I actually found myself getting quie wound up they wouldn't leave the stage,specially as the closer had about 5 minutes of just distortion at the end. If they shortened their songs and didn't come off so pretentious I may grow to tolerate them.

I know lots of you like them though, so, fair play, everyones different...

Swap your ear for a less cynical one on Saturday night, sonny. You might just enjoy yourself :princess:

" I actually found myself getting quie wound up they wouldn't leave the stage,specially as the closer had about 5 minutes of just distortion at the end"... you sound like my dad!

So, do Twilight Sad have two additional live members now then? (including a recruit from Aereogramme?)

I hope this doesn't affect the sound like it did with Frightened Rabbit at Snafu...

anyhoo - anyone advise stage times? Steven? Want to try and catch another gig elsewhere as well.

So, do Twilight Sad have two additional live members now then? (including a recruit from Aereogramme?)

I hope this doesn't affect the sound like it did with Frightened Rabbit at Snafu...

anyhoo - anyone advise stage times? Steven? Want to try and catch another gig elsewhere as well.

really? where did you get such information?

Guest idol_wild

I dislike it when bands add members after having success. The Twilight Sad don't need an extra guitarist. And Frightened Rabbit certainly didn't either.