aberdeen-music

FMA'08 - Best PUNK Act

The Ghost Of Fudge

didn't the upstarts WIN this last year?

perhaps i made that up. you'd think i'd know, eh?

ye, think we did. we've only played one gig in the last year as our guitarist now has a baby and lives in Elgin, and maybe people just don't like us anymore. But the rest of us are now in the Hijacks, and 2 members of Contra are also in Hijacks. There's also some family rivalry as there is a Thain in Onion Terror (Paul) and The Hijacks (Amy). As if this poll wasn't exciting enough...

The Hijacks and Contra are by far the best active punk bands in this poll. However, how Crashdown got ignored from this poll is beyond me. But then nothing surprises me about Aberdeen Music anymore. The clock seemed to have stopped in about 2005.

It always seems really stupid to me that a band like dropkick murphies w/ mad caddies can pretty much sell out moshulu, yet the average attendance at a local punk gig is about 20-30 people (that's being optimistic). We have one of the hardest working most dedicated d.i.y punk promoters in scotland in gfn, Who regularly get high profile punk bands from all over the world to come to Aberdeen (not just the latest 'hardcore' band from glasgow), yet no-one really seems to care. I know for a fact that 90% of the people that attend sell out drummonds hardcore shows list bands like anti-flag/rise against/pennywise/bad religion as their main influences yet ignore this style of music when it is right on their doorstep.

It seems the 'I'll go if your going' mentallity rules. And generally this will only result in the latest fad being attended. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with this. If people are genuinely attending because they have actively looked out for that music because it appeals to them, unfortunately i feel the majority attend because it is cool to be hardcore or cool to be 'label this genre'. Unfortunately right now in Aberdeen, it's not 'cool' to be punk.

And when we have bands of the calibre of Contra/Hijack's/Crashdown that's just a shame.

But anyway This isn't the point of these polls........so, mon the random excuse for a piss up in yer best finery.

Cheers

Guest idol_wild
The Hijacks and Contra are by far the best active punk bands in this poll. However, how Crashdown got ignored from this poll is beyond me. But then nothing surprises me about Aberdeen Music anymore. The clock seemed to have stopped in about 2005.

It always seems really stupid to me that a band like dropkick murphies w/ mad caddies can pretty much sell out moshulu, yet the average attendance at a local punk gig is about 20-30 people (that's being optimistic). We have one of the hardest working most dedicated d.i.y punk promoters in scotland in gfn, Who regularly get high profile punk bands from all over the world to come to Aberdeen (not just the latest 'hardcore' band from glasgow), yet no-one really seems to care. I know for a fact that 90% of the people that attend sell out drummonds hardcore shows list bands like anti-flag/rise against/pennywise/bad religion as their main influences yet ignore this style of music when it is right on their doorstep.

It seems the 'I'll go if your going' mentallity rules. And generally this will only result in the latest fad being attended. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with this. If people are genuinely attending because they have actively looked out for that music because it appeals to them, unfortunately i feel the majority attend because it is cool to be hardcore or cool to be 'label this genre'. Unfortunately right now in Aberdeen, it's not 'cool' to be punk.

And when we have bands of the calibre of Contra/Hijack's/Crashdown that's just a shame.

But anyway This isn't the point of these polls........so, mon the random excuse for a piss up in yer best finery.

Cheers

To be honest, comrade, I think this is the case with every strand/genre of local music. I've been to gigs this year, featuring maybe three or four talented local acts, and been disgusted at the single figure attendance.

It doesn't just apply to 'punk'. There's just a general apathy towards local music at the moment. And it's unlikely to change.

• 2 weeks later...