aberdeen-music

Electronic stuff

FatHand

• 2 weeks later...

This stuff's cool. It's refreshing to hear something danceable and really smooth sounding. You remind me favorably of Chromeo on some tracks, that you seem to be simultaneously tongue in cheek yet totally sincere and confident too. I'm actually quite fond of the vocals. The contrast between 'normal guys' vocals and fantasy-land synth textures creates a cool mood, kind of whimsical but grounded, if that makes sense! Thumbs up!

• Upvote 1

This stuff's cool. It's refreshing to hear something danceable and really smooth sounding. You remind me favorably of Chromeo on some tracks, that you seem to be simultaneously tongue in cheek yet totally sincere and confident too. I'm actually quite fond of the vocals. The contrast between 'normal guys' vocals and fantasy-land synth textures creates a cool mood, kind of whimsical but grounded, if that makes sense! Thumbs up!

Thanks for that! Always appreciate a favourable review.

Glad the fun lyrics comes across in the right way it's a fine line and probably a taste thing for a lot people.

Got another track in the process of being writen, trying something a bit different for this one, well more a combination of styles that I've used to now with a kind of rocky feel to it. Also managed to plug my Moog into my Virus in order to use the effects of the virus on the Moog which is very basic and has no effects of its own.

Expect that in the next couple of weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

How does one learn how to make electronic music?

I want to make electronic music. I'm not talking about club music...maybe a little house would be cool but mostly indie-pop and stuff that blends with other genres. What programs do I need, how much are they? Cheap would be nice. Most importantly, how do I learn to use them well?

I want to make electronic music. I'm not talking about club music...maybe a little house would be cool but mostly indie-pop and stuff that blends with other genres. What programs do I need, how much are they? Cheap would be nice. Most importantly, how do I learn to use them well?

That is the big question I guess. There are lots of ways of making electronic music, it all depends on what you want it to sound like. I think if you want to write in a specific style you are best starting off by listening to heaps of the genre but with a more critical ear than for purely enjoyment. Listen through the music so you get an idea of the layers that are involved in the production of a track. I found a good exercise was to try and recreate a track that you like. Pick something really simple and you'll see that it is a great deal harder to pull of than it sounds.

I use Cubase but you can equally use Reason, Ableton, Pro Tools, Logic etc as your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) of choice. I went for Cubase because I had seen it being used by a friend and it looked immediately useable and could do more than I would initially need it for, so there would be room for growth. It has been around for a long time and has a large group of users which means good forums for finding out stuff you don't know how to do. The same applies to most DAWs now.

To get started, first get yourself a sound card. There are lots out there for reasonable prices. Maybe try M Audio or this one is decent Lexicon Omega | Dolphin Music

Next thing is your DAW, you'll get Cubase LE with the above soundcard which would get you started. You can probably pick up the older versions of Cubase etc for not that much these days but they would include all the missing functions to the LE version. After you have the software and hardware you are on your own... pug in and record then muck around with effects, samples, VST instruments etc. Get some beats on the go, there are heaps of ways of developing a beat, different software or plugins for your DAW. It takes a while to get to grips with the work flow but persevere and you'll get it over a month or two. Get tutorials from the internet or from mates who know a bit more than you.

That is all the advice. Soundcard -> DAW -> experiment.

in some ways it kinda reminded me of some of my stuff but better done haha.

cheers for that. I think I'm getting a bit of a style on the go now so probably time to try something completely different. Going to get some sampling of politically incorrect 50s dramas and put it over fucked up beats and classical music. winner

• 1 month later...

I've just put up a wee jam I did tonight with the talkbox I just bought.

It's really rough but like most of my stuff I won't spend much more time on it so thought I'd put it up on the space.

it's called talkbox experiment.

there is another wee experimental track called virus meet moog that I put up.

hope you enjoy.

Fat Hand on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Is it talkbox or vocoder we're talking about by the way? people tend to confuse them because they're very similar.

It's a talkbox. I have both options at my disposal. The track I put up is pretty gash actually, only had it for a day so struggling with the correct sound but it's still ace fun.

Id rather have a talkbox than vocoder, they just have much cooler edge to them. Vocoders tend to sound like Autotune.

Vocoders are cool too.

I really like the expressiveness you can get out of the talkbox. Can do stuff that I'd never be able to do with my real voice. Just need to get the technique and better patches on the synth.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Been a while since I updated this. Old web browser at work means I can no longer update myspace so using the facebook one instead.

Got a wee reggae track uploaded called "some vibes of freedom". My friend Hugo did the vocals/drum/bass and I put down the keys and sax parts. I think it's got a nice feel about. Comments and thoughts welcome as always!!

oh yeah "techno teacake" on the facebook page is also a new one, and "work in progress - Cookie Dough". I had "Techno Meringue" up on the myspace for a while but that may be new to folk too. I was going for a traybake theme when I put them up....