aberdeen-music

Electronic stuff

FatHand

Been mucking around with some electronic stuff over the last couple of months. Finished or at least got the latest tune working last night with some beats, it's called extinction or close. I've put the tunes in order of writing them on myspace so take a listen if you fancy, I think they are fairly electronically eclectic. Not the best sound quality unfortunately.

MySpace.com - Fat Hand - Aberdeen, UK - Electronica / Experimental / Tropical - www.myspace.com/fathandof

Cheers for listening

• 3 weeks later...

New demo up. I wrote it last night, stayed up far too late for a school night. Seems as though I was in a dark mood.

Anyway other than a litlle more mixing I probably won't progress it any further so thought I'd put i up. Hope it is as enjoyable to listen to as it was to make.

It's called *Not enough characters in field*

MySpace.com - Fat Hand - Aberdeen, UK - Electronica / Experimental / Tropical - www.myspace.com/fathandof

Fly like a devil is cool (in addition to wlcome to japan). the rest of the stuff is spread a bit thin for my liking.

Thanks for listening, I know what you mean about those two songs and opinion is noted. They are a lot more tuneful than the others.

There will be more stuff like those two coming at some point, hopefully get some type of vocals into the music too.

The first two songs are experiments in creating more interesting drum parts. Also trying to restrain myself a little otherwise they would probably get a little top heavy on soaring cheesy melodies ha ha.

• 11 months later...

It's only been a year but thought it was time I wrote something new so if you want a listen to the latest track then try it out for size it's last on the list called Going out - Can't be assed Fat Hand on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads.

Typically jammy (don't spend too much time making sure every note is bang on midi style) and indulging the 80s cheese that seems to be running through my viens. Not sure of the style, kind of electrofunk/ambient or something. Started writing it before I was going out last night then decided not to so is kind of reminscent of my mood at the time and how the spirit changed ... hope you like it.

All the tracks are pretty good but my favourites are 'Going Out - Can't Be Assed' and 'Junk Philosophy'

Cheers! Glad someone likes Junk Philosophy, laughed a lot whilst making that one. My mate Jonny's rant, while I was just getting levels for the mic sorted, about a bin is so stupidly funny it had to stay and be the basis of the song. All of the tracks could be better produced but I generally only put one or two good nights work into any of them before I get bored and start something new which means ideas don't really develop to their full extent. One day when I'm less busy/social I'll get down with them or just produce better ones.

• 4 weeks later...

New Track

Got home from band practice last night about 11 and challenged myself to write something in an hour before I went to bed... ended up taking two and a half hours including burning CD which is a record for me. Anyway, if you have a listen expect the usual degree of care you may have grown accustomed to ;)

Let me know what you think, it's just a train of thought really. The concept was just to put down as many melodies using sounds I wouldn't normally touch - vocal effect synth sounds and synth brass - that could be combined together and build up over a period of time over a kind of nasty formant sound with lots of distortion.

Fat Hand on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

It's called "a cloud of contented despair".

"Going Out - Can't Be Assed" - it's background music for a 90s computer adventure game! I'm not saying it's not good, I think there is a lot of work going on in the background and it's mixed really well.

"Attention Deficit" is really quite good. It reminds me of a few things, but it is a strong track.

Enjoyed listening to these. So are all the instruments recorded live or are you multitracking computer generated sounds using Reason or something like that? I'm impressed with the drum tracks quite a bit! Something I really struggle with...

"Going Out - Can't Be Assed" - it's background music for a 90s computer adventure game! I'm not saying it's not good, I think there is a lot of work going on in the background and it's mixed really well.

"Attention Deficit" is really quite good. It reminds me of a few things, but it is a strong track.

Enjoyed listening to these. So are all the instruments recorded live or are you multitracking computer generated sounds using Reason or something like that? I'm impressed with the drum tracks quite a bit! Something I really struggle with...

Thanks! Yeah, much of it is kind of computer gamey to some degree.

Generally I start with a basic drum track on Fruity Loops then copy each of the individual drum sample rhythms onto separate tracks so that I can take them in and out as I feel the music needs to be emphasised. I rewire fruity into cubase and make a start on the music.

As for the music, I don't have much time to spend on this stuff due to numerous band commitments and work so get it all recorded as quickly as I can. I have a Virus TI, piano, a basic Moog and some other hardware that I use for all of it and jam over the initial beat that I made. Usually end up with a bunch of 4 bar loops, bass, pads, arps, that I'm happy with (it's not always like this) and then construct a rough structure using these. I don't use midi so it's very important that a lot of time is spent trying to find and make sounds that, in my opinion, fit well together.

Once I have this framework I start developing the drum track a bit more as by this point you have an idea of where you might like to take the song. I then go back to the music and see where else it might like to go. This usually involves some type of melody or a few melodies.

I don't have to do a great deal of "production" on the tracks because the quality of the virus is so high. Now I'm recording everything at 24 bit 48000hz which makes a massive difference to the overall quality. The trick that I'm trying to learn is how to make things sit nicely together in a mix and a lot of that is down to what synth patches you choose to use.

I'm going to be working on a new idea over the next year to focus the way I'm writing and give myself an incentive to spend a bit longer developing and making better quality tracks. I'm looking for an animator for this as it's going to be kind of a peter and the wolf style story with electronic music... hope I have the patience to follow it through!!

• 4 months later...

New track up called Been a Beautiful Life. A bit of a depressing number. I recorded it on sunday night and didn't bother fixing any of the bad playing/singing, has a nice feel to it I think so didn't want to spoil it by replaying stuff or chopping it up. It's just a jam really. Hope you like it.

Fat Hand on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

• 1 month later...

3 new tracks up on the myspace... Fat Hand on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Taming TIme

Japaneso

Mineymole

The first two are jams with a bit of structure. As ever I don't have the patience to go back and re-record bits that aren't absolutely perfect.

Mineymole is a kind of minimal track. There are some melodic bits in there. I was kind of thinking Alex Smoke while writing this but that's a hard thing to full acheive, so more of a teabag briefly dipped into a hot cup of water nodd of the head sideways glance at anything of that quality.

Hope you get a chance to listen and leave a comment if you like it or hate it. As much to give me some sort of distraction from spreadsheets at work as anything, you'd be doing me a favour.

The new songy stuff is definitely the best road to go down in my opinion. The vocals aren't quite tip top (i'm sure you know that) but those first two tunes sound like the beginning of quite a cool sound.

Forgot how much I liked Junk philosophy too.

Yeah, there are more lyrics to go into them too as well as re-recording our hungover vocals. I hadn't put up any new stuff for ages so thought I'd just do a bit of mixing and go with what I had (mixing as in covering up how truely aweful the vocals were with "bad phoneline" eq-ing ha ha).

I'm pretty surprised by the overall sound actually, really wasn't what I had in mind... didn't really have anything in mind when I was jamming them out. I like having a catch riff, that's got to be the most important part of this kind of thing.

Nice one Colin,your ideas are developing well.I'm maybe gonna go for the Waldorf Largo synth soon and upgrade to logic 9.I think i'll delve back into electownic music again now Ben is in Glasgae.